07-09-09, 01:14 PM   #1
todd3835
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Request......

Ok, so lets start out by laying the ground work. I play a DPS (Warlock) and a Healer (Priest). When I'm on my priest, I use my focus as the main tank, to make using PoMending much easier to cast. This way, it's always going to my main tank. This may change once it's raiding (this is for 5m's).

No, on my Warlock, I'm raiding (25m Ulduar). Now with the raid frames, it's very difficult to see your target when your doing 25m (that box is just very small). What I'm thinking is the option like in the focus. You can set it up I believe (or maybe it's default) to show your focus target INSTEAD of the minimap. Personally, in a 25 man, if you have a target, chances are your probably not moving, and hence you really don't need the minimap. So I'm thinking maybe it's possible in 25m and 40m frames (not sure bout 15 and 20) so that either by default, or configurable to use the minimap spot as your target.

This is especially needed for 25m VoA, because quite often I find myself targeting the wrong minion on the Emalon fight, because the small box doesn't show the "lucky charms" and it's harder to see the health bar (which is a strong indication of being on the right boss). I guess some would argue you could look at the HUD (which some do), but for someone with dots, your looking more at your cooldowns than your hud, and for me, I am a button clicker, as opposed to a button pusher, so I'm looking at the cooldown on my action bars, so it's personally easier to see my raid frames than my hud. I personally don't need the viewing area if I'm fighting, yeah, I need to move, but otherwise I'm watching health (if I'm on the healer) or dot cooldowns. So, it's just a thought, but would be one of the "big wish" items for me

People with OCD (Or CDO in Scott's Case) prefer nUI+! Find it at www.nuiaddon.com

07-09-09, 01:40 PM   #2
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Have you tried switching to the party or solo player mode when you're in the raid? Since you're not healing, you're DPS, seeing the rest of the raid is less important and you get a nice monster unit frame.

That said, your points are well taken and I do already have some plans for alternate layouts that I think will address your concerns.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

07-10-09, 07:14 AM   #3
todd3835
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Have you tried switching to the party or solo player mode when you're in the raid? Since you're not healing, you're DPS, seeing the rest of the raid is less important and you get a nice monster unit frame.

That said, your points are well taken and I do already have some plans for alternate layouts that I think will address your concerns.
I suppose that would work. My other problem being that sometimes I need to target off of someone else. I will play around with the different settings though, see if I can't find something I like

People with OCD (Or CDO in Scott's Case) prefer nUI+! Find it at www.nuiaddon.com

07-10-09, 08:17 AM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by todd3835 View Post
I suppose that would work. My other problem being that sometimes I need to target off of someone else. I will play around with the different settings though, see if I can't find something I like
Yeah thats the problem I get now that I use solo or party frames. What I do though is drag out from the blizz raid window the tank windows so I can use those to target as needed. When I am raiding dps as shadow on my priest.

When I am healing its even easier as I use healbot so unit frames aren't important. And now Im also raiding on my shammy so I just put myself in the tank group so its easier that way too.

07-10-09, 09:19 AM   #5
Superhawk
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
While we're on the subject of raid frames, I have to say that I really don't like the 25-man raid frames for healing compared to the standard Blizz UI frames. This may be due to my healing style, but my biggest problem is that I can't find a way to have the frames lay out the groups nice and neat like the Blizzard columns. The result is that it makes it really difficult for me to tell when I should be casting Prayer of Healing and much harder to analyze where people are by the damage they take. When I see 4 people in different groups all take damage at the same time, I know CoH will be most effective if used on them right away.

Right now I'm using nUI for just my alt ret pally and I still haven't gotten used to my buff box and the enemy buff box, a deficiency that would be death for all the procs that I watch on my Priest. I guess it would be easier for me to get used to if I could the adjust the size of those boxes, but now I'm just going off on a tangent.

07-10-09, 09:27 AM   #6
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
The raid sorting element is bugged at the moment. Normally you would be able to sort them by group, class, name etc. Scott is aware of the problem and it is something he has added to his bug list to look into.

07-10-09, 09:38 AM   #7
Superhawk
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Oh ok. My pally's still not 80 yet, but I'm gonna try and get used to raiding with the mod on him first and hopefully by the time I'm good with that, everything will be sorted out. It'd also be great if when that bug does get fixed, you could (like the OP mentioned) get rid of the minimap and just have them side-by-side, lined up at the bottom center of your screen. Seriously, that would probably be the best thing ever for me.

07-10-09, 04:29 PM   #8
todd3835
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Yeah, the group sorting bug would help in some instances, like for instance, if I know a particular person I'm typically targeting off of, the raid groups being setup pretty much the same every raid, I'll be able to find them much easier. I still think the target frames are MUCH too small. Even on trash fights, it's very painful to see if I have the right <Insert Mob Name Here> targeted. Now this would not work well in Wintergrasp for instance, because you'll need to be able to see the map. But for *most* 25/40m instances, you typically don't need the minimap.

On another note, does anyone have an use for showing the focus in such a big area? Yeah, it's nice for targeting, but as I said I typically use it for for my MT target as I said before, but with Healbot, I really don't use the focus frame to target much. Just curious who uses the target frame for what!

-Todd

07-10-09, 07:29 PM   #9
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
I use the target frame for my mind control on razuvius, for my prayer of mending target when healing, sheeping with my mage, shackling with my priest, and I am sure when I start playing with it .. hexing with my shaman.

07-10-09, 07:51 PM   #10
todd3835
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
I use the target frame for my mind control on razuvius, for my prayer of mending target when healing, sheeping with my mage, shackling with my priest, and I am sure when I start playing with it .. hexing with my shaman.
But with PoM, you don't need to really see who the target is at that time. Yeah, for Crowd Control, being able to quickly access your focus is nice, but you could make macro's for shackle and sheep (banish in my case for a lock) so that it uses your focus if you have one......

07-10-09, 08:13 PM   #11
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Yeah I use focus macros but the image in the middle helps me to know if it broke early as it no longer looks like a sheep.

07-10-09, 10:03 PM   #12
todd3835
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Yeah I use focus macros but the image in the middle helps me to know if it broke early as it no longer looks like a sheep.
Oh, I never got into playing my mage because I'm spoiled with my lock having a pet to do my bidding =] So I never thought about it. Be nice if my banish spell made them look different too.....

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Suggestion Box » Request......