04-02-08, 11:01 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
IncGamers' UICentral discontinued

Just passing the word along for anyone who uses their site as well as this one but may have missed it there.

As posted on IncGamers:

Originally Posted by Rushster
A heads-up to UIC users. UICentral, as created by site member Amthea, has been pulled from the site as it has come to light that there was a copyright infringment inside the application code. An unlicensed key was utilised to create a part of the application, and so to act responsibly, and protect the party invovled, we have pulled the file from the website.

We are dissapointed that this has occured but at the same time pleased that this has been brought to our attention as we do not condone such practices.

With this in mind we are looking to create our own application in-house so that this can not occur in the future. Work will begin immediatly on the new application for mod updating. Thanks to everyone for being so patient while we investigated and checked through everything. We'll update you soon :)

Posted by Rushster 5 hours ago

According to follow up posts, this affects their IncGamers' Client as well:

RagabashMoon 2 hours ago

Ok, just uninstalled UICentral, and now I've gotten that java applet thing, but I look forward to a new proper version of a program I can use to scan my mods and keep them up to date! :) Oh, the "IncGamers CLient" is included also? Ok, i'll get rid of it.

In addition, ChaosInc provided this information as to why they have taken this step:

Site Admin ChaosInc 2 hours ago

ROFL, just thought about it. The problems with the trojans we had back in the day all makes sense now!
Site Admin ChaosInc 2 hours ago

In a nutshell, he used a cracked version of a Java app and got caught. In turn, they threatened to take "legal action" against the site unless it was pulled. Needless to say, however, we would've pulled it anyways.

What does this mean? It means UIC is no longer available IN ANY FORM from this point forward. But as Rush has stated we plan to have another application designed from the ground up without the worry of some piss-ant lawyer breathing down our necks about "distributing applications without checking first that the program used was a legit copy. Ignorance of proper licensing is NO EXCUSE!". Honestly, how the hell are we supposed to check that crap anyways? Ask 'em? Psh....

So as per their "legal request", we'd also like to ask anyone who has dl'd UIC in ANY form to please remove it from their comp. Of course, we can't check this, but apparently they think we can. Next they'll be asking for everyone IP that's dl'd it. But no worries, that's what we call "invasion of privacy", so everyone who's gonna start fretting about that can relax.

Rush has sent a personal apology on the matter and we have met their requests on the matter to avoid "legal action". As of this point, we should be left alone and we can get back to work on important things, like deciding who's buying the next round of Poptarts!

Oh damn, I said a product name! Please don't sue us, Kellogg's!

So, if you use IncGamers' UICentral, it has been discontinued. You will need to update your mods manually from their site until they have their new updater written.

Last edited by Dolby : 04-17-08 at 02:26 AM.
04-02-08, 11:06 PM   #2
Normal
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
You will need to update your mods manually from their site until they have their new updater written.
edit:
Or if you really want to use an updater app, change sites.

Last edited by Normal : 04-02-08 at 11:29 PM.
04-02-08, 11:19 PM   #3
Sythalin
Curse staff

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Normal, keep your opinions to yourself please. I've taken steps to stop the trash talking of this site over on WoWUI as it proves nothing and would appreciate if the same steps were taken here.

How were we to know that he used a hacked program? Can you tell? Be fair here. We're all part of the same community. No matter the domain, we're all dedicated to the same purpose: authoring and/or providing mods to the public.

As I've said, since I've become an Admin of the site, I've talked to mostly everyone about this "war" that's been happening in the shadows and how it's unproductive and, quite frankly, immature. It really proves nothing.
04-02-08, 11:26 PM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Izadore View Post
would appreciate if the same steps were taken here.
Those steps don't "need to be taken" here, they've always been in place. You just happened to post before I saw that there was a response to the thread. I've always told people that flaming isn't allowed on this site. Just go look at our site rules that are stickied at the top of the Chit Chat forum.

Normal - be nice.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
04-02-08, 11:27 PM   #5
Normal
A Murloc Raider
OK, I've just been informed what I posted is inappropriate for this site. I was unaware, and for that I do apologise (and have edited my post accordingly)

Last edited by Normal : 04-02-08 at 11:31 PM.
04-03-08, 02:29 AM   #6
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Aw, I missed good drama didn't I?
04-03-08, 03:38 AM   #7
Sythalin
Curse staff

Thanks. Not meaning to be an ass, just trying to keep the peace.
04-03-08, 07:10 AM   #8
mozulo
Premium Member

Premium Member
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Sorry to hear the bad news about the updater big shame but im sure a new one will come very soon.

Last edited by mozulo : 04-03-08 at 12:39 PM.
04-03-08, 07:43 AM   #9
KillerDreaming
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I've never used IncGamers before. Not because I'm part of some interface, I've just always been loyal to WoWInterface because I've never had any reason to venture to any other mod sites. WoWI always has what I'm searching for.

It really is a shame about the program though. I hope you guys *****ed out the person who made the program for you; that's pretty crappy.
04-03-08, 09:10 AM   #10
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
You're welcome, but it wasn't actually necessary for you to do so, since we do on our own.
04-03-08, 12:16 PM   #11
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Pretty unfortunate, but from what I read that explains alot of the previous problems with trojans from Incgamers.

Hope it gets resolved and everything straightens out.

04-03-08, 12:41 PM   #12
mozulo
Premium Member

Premium Member
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
The guys here do a great job at maintaining this site think admin power has gone to your head

04-03-08, 03:17 PM   #13
OrcanWonder
A Cyclonian

Whole site down?

Is the entire UICentral site down? I can' t get it to load at all today. I'm using http://ui.worldofwar.net/ to try and access. Worked fine yesterday.
04-03-08, 03:21 PM   #14
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Yeah, I'm not sure what is going on, I haven't been able to get to the site today either.
04-03-08, 04:37 PM   #15
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Quoted from Rushster:

"This afternoon the db server blew a fuse which has corrupted data on the the server disks. We are now trying to restore it from a backup but there is no guarantee it will be a full backup of the site. If you are a mod author then please be primed to re-upload your mods just in case. Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused but such is the way of technology

We'll keep everyone posted on progress."
04-03-08, 06:10 PM   #16
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm not sure what the software in question is, but I'm personally glad to see that so many people in the community, on multiple sites no less, take copyright so seriously and are acting so promptly.

/salute
04-03-08, 08:09 PM   #17
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

It's just one thing after another ain't it?
04-03-08, 09:17 PM   #18
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
It's just one thing after another ain't it?
It's seeming that way as of the last week. /sigh

Originally Posted by mozulo View Post
The guys here do a great job at maintaining this site think admin power has gone to your head
Nah, I'm known for stating my opinions bluntly and without resolve. I see something that urks me, I respond in kind.
04-03-08, 09:32 PM   #19
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Yet another difference. I don't go to your site and out your users. I would appreciate it if you showed the same courtesy.

(nor do I go around deleting posts that reflect badly on us)
04-03-08, 09:46 PM   #20
KillerDreaming
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

*rubs Cairenn's shoulders* Calm down, kitty..

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » IncGamers' UICentral discontinued