09-01-07, 08:30 PM   #61
trav
Premium Member

Premium Member
Question Eeekkkkk, something bad is happening

I have started Part II over again; worked great before. However, the simple example Hello Azeroth is not working completely. It shows up in the Addon list, but the greeting is not displayed when I enter the game.

I removed the interface files/folders and restarted with a "clean" UI, and still no joy. I have checked and rechecked the format and spelling, and can find no errors. I even tried creating the files over with several editors: Smultron, Textmate, and BBEdit, to no avail.

I even tried using the following in the chat window in the game with no result:
/script message("some text here");
Granted, I am learning, so I don't know if it would work in the first place.
Has something changed in the API or whatever?
Thanks,
trav
09-01-07, 08:39 PM   #62
trav
Premium Member

Premium Member
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I, an old Navy Nuke Submariner, resent being referred to as "A Deviate Faerie Dragon"
I have absolutely nothing in common with Faeries or Dragons.
t

Last edited by trav : 09-01-07 at 08:42 PM.
09-01-07, 09:20 PM   #63
Razark
A Murloc Raider

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hi trav,

Right now you have "script errors" turned off. As of a very recent patch, this setting prevents dialog boxes from appearing at all. All you need to do is type the following in-game:
Code:
/console scriptErrors 1
Once entered, everything should work great! For more information about this setting, see page 17 of the book.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care,

Dan
09-01-07, 09:31 PM   #64
trav
Premium Member

Premium Member
Howdy Dan,
I just caught that as a went through wowwiki and found out that it all seems to be related to the error message system(?).
http://www.wowwiki.com/API_message
The easiest way to set it up appears to be is to check the Display Lua Errors box in the Interface Options. Another way I am thinking, is to edit the WTF Config.wtf file by adding: SET scriptErrors "1" to it.

Hummm, page 17 in my book talks about Uninstalling and Using the In-Game Addon List?

Thanks for the answer,
trav

Originally Posted by Razark
Hi trav,

Right now you have "script errors" turned off. As of a very recent patch, this setting prevents dialog boxes from appearing at all. All you need to do is type the following in-game:
Code:
/console scriptErrors 1
Once entered, everything should work great! For more information about this setting, see page 17 of the book.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care,

Dan

Last edited by trav : 09-01-07 at 09:38 PM.
09-01-07, 10:59 PM   #65
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by trav
I, an old Navy Nuke Submariner, resent being referred to as "A Deviate Faerie Dragon"
I have absolutely nothing in common with Faeries or Dragons.
t
I hope you are kidding around. As you'll notice for all "regular" users (ie non staff, feature artists, premium members, etc), the titles are set based on various monsters in WoW and change depending on post count. As your post count goes up, you become a tougher monster. Newbie monsters are easily killed, newbie posters are easily scared off.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
09-02-07, 12:01 AM   #66
trav
Premium Member

Premium Member
Yes, it is a joke. Take out the two I mentioned and what was left? Sub sailor humor.
<<<=== Picture of the first boat that I rode, SSN 571. Most of you know it as The Nautilus. Yep, I am that old.

Originally Posted by Cairenn
I hope you are kidding around. As you'll notice for all "regular" users (ie non staff, feature artists, premium members, etc), the titles are set based on various monsters in WoW and change depending on post count. As your post count goes up, you become a tougher monster. Newbie monsters are easily killed, newbie posters are easily scared off.

Last edited by trav : 09-02-07 at 09:44 AM.
09-02-07, 12:53 AM   #67
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Open your Interface Options, then click "Display Lua Errors". The message function is the same as the "error" function, so its blocked if this checkbox isn't selected.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
09-02-07, 09:42 AM   #68
trav
Premium Member

Premium Member
I think that I said that in message #64, or perhaps it was too rumed up?
Thanks for your reply,
trav

Originally Posted by Cladhaire
Open your Interface Options, then click "Display Lua Errors". The message function is the same as the "error" function, so its blocked if this checkbox isn't selected.
09-02-07, 10:19 AM   #69
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Yeah for some reason the other replies didn't show up when I responded :P
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
09-02-07, 10:22 PM   #70
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by trav
Yes, it is a joke. Take out the two I mentioned and what was left? Sub sailor humor.
<<<=== Picture of the first boat that I rode, SSN 571. Most of you know it as The Nautilus. Yep, I am that old.
Hey, I wasn't going to comment on the one you left in.

But I still had to be sure, some people would actually have been serious about it.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
09-03-07, 09:41 AM   #71
badgerken
A Defias Bandit
Basic 'Whereabouts' doesn't do anything.

hi all,
I also am cranking through the book (I am primarily interested in writing addons), and had the same problem as 'trav' with the 'hello, azeroth' example. Thanks for the fix!

May I bother y'all for help with the next example?
I am doing the example for 'Whereabouts', and am up to page 254 (where you have the XML file, but no real lua yet). I did comment out the two lua invocations, as recommended on page 253. However, when I launch WOW, and enable the addon, I don't see anything showing up - no frame shows up. I have looked over things over and over, I think I've mirrored exactly the tutorial - any suggestions? The directories are in the right place, with the right permissions, the files exist, the contents seem right, you name it.

I've posted the .xml file and the .toc file (renamed to end in .txt to make google base happy ), at
http://base.google.com/base/a/256795...23081059136003

thanks for any advice,
09-03-07, 10:07 AM   #72
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Your XML file isn't well formed.. you can check this using a few different things:

1. Open the .xml file in your web browser. It will give you an error and hopefully give you enough information to determine what's wrong.

2. Open World of Warcraft/Logs/FrameXML.log. This file will also tell you that the file could not be parsed.

In particular you have two things wrong in your opening tag. It should read:

Code:
<Ui xmlns="http://www.blizzard.com/wow/ui"
    xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
    xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.blizzard.com/wow/ui/ ..\FrameXML\UI.xsd">
On the second line, you had xmlns:xsl instead of xmlns:xsi (you had an ell instead of an eye). Also, you were missing a closing > after UI.xsd". The file is well formed, other than that.
09-03-07, 11:32 AM   #73
badgerken
A Defias Bandit
thanks much!

wow, what a prompt and helpful response! Thanks so much!

The 'base mod' is working perfectly now, i'm on to the next step.

thanks again,

-ken
09-03-07, 11:32 AM   #74
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Anytime :P Glad you're enjoying the exercises!
12-31-07, 04:13 PM   #75
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I finally bought this book today! I found ti when I was looking for PHP for dummies

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
12-31-07, 04:35 PM   #76
Razark
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Dreadlorde
I finally bought this book today! I found ti when I was looking for PHP for dummies
Nice thread resurrection!
12-31-07, 04:45 PM   #77
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
My sister hit me with one at Fry's in Glendale, when we happened upon it.

Also, blantant promotion of the book due out in April:

World of Warcraft Programming: A Guide and Reference for Creating WoW Addons
http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft...9141067&sr=8-1

Programming World of Warcraft Addons is an all-in-one guide to writing addons for World of Warcraft, leading the reader through a tutorial on Lua programming, guiding them through several example addons, and providing them with a comprehensive reference for the World of Warcraft API. Readers should be familiar with the user interface of World of Warcraft, and may have some experience downloading and installing addons.

Some familiarity with programming is ideal, but the reader doesn't need actual programming experience. The book teaches programming in Lua and XML, the programming languages used to write addons, by introducing concepts that build on prior knowledge to craft more complex programs. This tutorial is geared specifically towards using Lua in World of Warcraft, so the book covers only the most relevant material, and covers a number of pitfalls and common mistakes that the reader may experience through the course of the book; even experienced users will find this useful.

Once the reader is comfortable using Lua, they are introduced to the specific nuances of the World of Warcraft API through a series of guided examples. Each example highlights a specific aspect of writing addons for World of Warcraft and builds on the skills the reader has already acquired. Readers will learn how to respond to events, create frames, and use the World of Warcraft API to interact with the game.

Programming World of Warcraft Addons continues by teaching the reader how to implement a number of specific addon concepts such as saved variables, slash commands, secure templates, dynamic frames, parsing tooltips, creating dropdown menus and more. Once you've created your own addons, the book then discusses ways to distribute and host your addons so others can download and use them.

The final section of Programming World of Warcraft Addons is a printed comprehensive reference guide to the World of Warcraft API. Having a fully indexed, consistent set of reference documentation can make finding the specific function you need that much easier.
12-31-07, 06:04 PM   #78
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm so buying that book too!

Nice work clad.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
01-01-08, 08:05 PM   #79
jonathon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Cool