05-27-09, 12:12 PM   #21
Zanthor
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
Omg This Is Why You Blocked Wowmatrix So You Could Sell Your Own Crap

*edit* this post was made in all caps, damn you vBulletin

Seriously, horse, dead, leave it alone. (Or is a featured artist just trying to beat the trolls to the punch?)

To WoWI: Thanks! I'll be testing asap!
05-27-09, 12:14 PM   #22
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Zanthor View Post
Seriously, horse, dead, leave it alone.
05-27-09, 12:36 PM   #23
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Might I make a suggestion.

Either on the First post (as well as the home page post), on the Minion download page or during the Minion installation can you put a BIG warning to people that it may be a wise idea to back up your old addons directory.

If I did not do that first I would be pulling hairs outta my head trying to fix what Minion broke. (YES I understand it's beta that's why I backed-up first)

In it's current state Minion installs older versions of addons as well as installs incorrect addons.

All I did was make a copy in the same directory. This way I can revert back to a working UI easily after testing Minion.
05-27-09, 12:48 PM   #24
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Actually, it might be a very good idea to offer to do the backup for the user on the first run. As for old versions, the minion should show the currently installed version next to wowi's version, so users can quickly make decisions on addons to install. Trying to parse version numbers to determine which is newer is not going to be fun.
05-27-09, 01:17 PM   #25
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I thought I had already put the line in there, sorry guys. Thank you for pointing it out to me, I've added it now.

Adding Backup capability is something we are definitely considering, but we didn't want to hold back on the Beta further before releasing it. Adding the backup capability would have put us back at least a couple more weeks, possibly longer.
05-27-09, 01:24 PM   #26
Elesarr
A Fallenroot Satyr

Elesarr claps excitedly.

Truly the most impressive piece of software to hit the gaming community in a long time!

Hats off to Shirik! and all the other dev peeps
05-27-09, 01:25 PM   #27
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Couple weeks? bah! It doesn't need to be anything fancy... just check for Interface/AddonBackup on launch, if it's not there offer to backup. Which of course, would simply involve copying the entire addon folder over.
05-27-09, 03:16 PM   #28
gothicknight
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I just downloaded the new Minion, and when i try and launch it, for some unknown reason, it tries to launch my Nokia PC suite. I checked out the properties, and Minion is set to open Nokia PC suite by default

05-27-09, 05:01 PM   #29
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Woot!!! I'm playing with it right now and fighting through an error msg (yes, the aforementioned one), but I'm so friggin' excited!!!!

Originally Posted by gothicknight View Post
I just downloaded the new Minion, and when i try and launch it, for some unknown reason, it tries to launch my Nokia PC suite. I checked out the properties, and Minion is set to open Nokia PC suite by default
LoL Most awesome bug *evar*.

05-27-09, 05:18 PM   #30
sensory
A Fallenroot Satyr

Have to say that I was cursing under my breath when I saw it uses Java, but.. it's not half bad.

I like all the information it gives you when you install a new module.
05-27-09, 05:29 PM   #31
lerb
A Frostmaul Preserver

this is such a beauty, thanks
05-27-09, 06:40 PM   #32
Elloria
An Onyxian Warder

Im guessing the reason it is downloading extra addons, is because its reading from the saved variables too? I had this issue as well. I noticed i have some "extra" unused saved variables from old addons ive used and it is downloading these addons.
05-27-09, 08:05 PM   #33
Jalandar
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
A HUGE congratulations to everyone who made this come together, especially Shirik! I just completed my first "update all" with minion and everything went perfectly. Maybe now the whole WM debacle can be laid to rest once and for all! HUZZAH!
Perhaps if it even held a light to WM's ease of use and simplicity. Not to mention if it even was able to detect true updates.

Some of them were noted as "Waiting for....." some other mod that is not in any way related to it. Nearly every addon it said needed an upgrade already had the newest to date version that it said it would install. There is no listing of the currently installed version (heck, even the curse client does that).

I understand this is supposed to be Beta, it should be listed as Alpha however as it is barely functional, and anyone who says this is the answer to WM....this is worse than the Curse client even.

Seriously, WoWI, you should get in touch with WM and work out a deal, it isn't too late. Your client won't even compare with Curse's (and you know my opinion of it). You need WM equally as much as they need you.

Last edited by Jalandar : 05-27-09 at 08:08 PM.
05-27-09, 08:35 PM   #34
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Its beta, it works great and near flawless for some and not so great for others. This is what the beta is for to find the bugs that will only crop up in the masses. This isn't a google beta, think of this as a MMO beta where there are real bugs still present.

WM when installed new with no dat files lists almost all addons as needing an update at least when it was pulling from curse/wowi as there is no other way to detect children. It would even mark new versions as needing updates and update them with old versions. WM has had a lot of time to mature. Our MMOUI Minion will be better when given the time.

WM doesn't want to talk to us either but this is for one of the many other threads.

Last edited by Dolby : 05-27-09 at 09:06 PM.
05-27-09, 09:00 PM   #35
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

What good is an ignore list if everyone just comes along and quotes their posts? No good at all.
05-27-09, 09:08 PM   #36
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Just a habbit, edited.

Crap is any one ignoring you? Do I need to remove this quote too?

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
What good is an ignore list if everyone just comes along and quotes their posts? No good at all.
05-27-09, 09:12 PM   #37
Jalandar
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
What good is your comment, except to act as a personal attack?
05-27-09, 09:12 PM   #38
Jalandar
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Just a habbit, edited.

Crap is any one ignoring you? Do I need to remove this quote too?
And to continue my previous post, what good does it say when admins not only encourage, but play along with them?
05-27-09, 09:19 PM   #39
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Jalandar View Post
Perhaps if it even held a light to WM's ease of use and simplicity. Not to mention if it even was able to detect true updates.

Some of them were noted as "Waiting for....." some other mod that is not in any way related to it. Nearly every addon it said needed an upgrade already had the newest to date version that it said it would install. There is no listing of the currently installed version (heck, even the curse client does that).

I understand this is supposed to be Beta, it should be listed as Alpha however as it is barely functional, and anyone who says this is the answer to WM....this is worse than the Curse client even.

Seriously, WoWI, you should get in touch with WM and work out a deal, it isn't too late. Your client won't even compare with Curse's (and you know my opinion of it). You need WM equally as much as they need you.
Yeah, yeah. I know... The Masons, the Illuminati and possibly the Bildabergers have taken over WoWI (most likely with help from men in black and Majestik12) and are secretly plotting to keep you from easily updating your addons... Guess my dream of the controversy being over was short lived, huh?

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
05-27-09, 09:20 PM   #40
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Your Minion Has Arrived!