06-04-07, 03:53 AM   #1
phat32
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Mazzle and ToS

Do some of the addons in Mazzle go against the WoW ToS?

im honestly not sure and just want to make sure. im sure all the addons in the package are fine and im just overly paraniod, but im sure everyone can understand my concern and wanting to double check =P

Last edited by phat32 : 06-04-07 at 03:56 AM.
06-04-07, 05:47 AM   #2
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by phat32
Do some of the addons in Mazzle go against the WoW ToS?
It think it should comply with the TOS. Hmm, except maybe that one add-on that dupes all your gold every 10 minutes. Oh, and there's the one that transports you to any location instantly by doing /blink <location>. I'm not sure if that's legit. Oops, and how can I forget about the one that makes you impervious to all damage as long as you keep doing the /train emote. I think those are the only ones that may be problematic.

If your question was serious, I suggest you check out this FAQ from the Blizzard forums: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...11381215&sid=1
06-04-07, 10:16 AM   #3
airdragon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
LOL

Oh man, that was hilarious. I have not found something this funny in a while. I'm not knocking ya if it was serious. But dang it was funny.
06-05-07, 09:39 AM   #4
fluxism
A Murloc Raider
Typical of the wow community I guess. A simple, reasonable question is asked, only to be met with sacrasm and ridicule.

I bet you 99% of the people reading this are not exactly sure of all the packages that come included with Mazzle, how do YOU know what you're running? Do you think that at anytime in the past someone has downloaded an addon from XYZ only to find out their account has been suspended or banned due to that addon? Tell me, do you think that's ever happened? Or are we in the realms of fantasy here...

How many here have actually read (and understood?!?) all the ToS? If you havent, how do you know a package in Mazzle isnt borderline or plane breaking the rules? Assumption is the mother of all screwups.

Seems to me Mazzle isnt even sure him/herself? Otherwise a simple 'yes all addons in my pack are 100% OK with the WoW ToS' would of been alot easier, and given a deffinative answer, rather than the go-look-here-you-wont-get-an-answer-from-me 'funny' reply.
06-05-07, 09:52 AM   #5
Rayyl
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Flux, I understand your points, but I think you missed an important point. MazzleUI is not for the beginner. Beginners would be overwhelmed at all of the information and functionality that Mazzle brings to the table. That being said, beginners should start at, well, the beginning just like the rest of us.

If you've never drank any alcoholic beverage in your life, why on earth would you order 30 year old scotch as your first drink?
06-05-07, 09:59 AM   #6
ReverendD
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Sorry, but i have to agree with Flux on this one.

Not only was the answer given very sarcastic, but it was by the creator of MazzUI itself. So not only have you given a new member a bad taste coming to these forums to ask a question, but he has also put him off on using MazzUI itself. Just because this person has low posts in these forums does in no way mean he is a newbie, he could have been someone who has played WoW for a long time and just had a bad run in with another compilation in the past. I think it is wide to check out compilations before d/l them.

And honestly, this leaves a bad taste for me to see an Author of such a popular package behave in such a way. Bad show Mazz, bad show.
06-05-07, 10:03 AM   #7
Therok
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by fluxism
Do you think that at anytime in the past someone has downloaded an addon from XYZ only to find out their account has been suspended or banned due to that addon? Tell me, do you think that's ever happened?
Actually, not only has this never happened, it never will. In all the years I've been playing I've yet to see a single person banned or disciplined for an ADDON. Third party programs, however, are a different story. MazzleUI does not include any third party programs.

Blizzards stance is that if they find an addon to be unfair, or against t.o.s., they make changes to the addon code and break the addon. They have never gone after end users at all.

Of course, you'd know that if you'd read the WoW addon faq as Mazzles post full of "sarcasm and ridicule" had directed you to do.
06-05-07, 10:20 AM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Honestly you guys, it was a joke. Come on. It wasn't even rudely sarcastic. There's a difference between being rudely sarcastic and just plain sarcasm. Mazz even put in a link to answer the OP's question! If he was really trying to be rude and sarcastic and what not, he wouldn't have included the link.

I even chuckled when I first read the OP. Granted, I already knew the answer... No, it's not polite to laugh at the OP, but Mazzle wasn't making fun of the OP (airdragon was ). Mazzle was just making light of the situation.

Yeah, maybe a simple yes or no would have sufficed, but doesn't anyone have a sense of humor anymore?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-05-07, 10:20 AM   #9
Rollak
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Therok
Actually, not only has this never happened, it never will. In all the years I've been playing I've yet to see a single person banned or disciplined for an ADDON. Third party programs, however, are a different story. MazzleUI does not include any third party programs.

Blizzards stance is that if they find an addon to be unfair, or against t.o.s., they make changes to the addon code and break the addon. They have never gone after end users at all.

Of course, you'd know that if you'd read the WoW addon faq as Mazzles post full of "sarcasm and ridicule" had directed you to do.
This is correct. Any addon may make full use of the scripting language as blizzard has implemented it. They have in the past, and will continue to break functions that create unfair advantages and are against the intentions of the game. The best example of this is the 2.0 patch.

If it's possible using their code, no one will get banned for it.
06-05-07, 11:47 AM   #10
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

To be honest, I thought it was a trolling post, kinda like the ones in the WoW forums that keep popping up where people try to suggest that my UI contains a keylogger. It still seems that way to me since it asked about only my UI but didn't cite a single possible reason why it in particular would be against the TOS.

In case it wasn't, I posted a link to the "official" forum with the reply to the question "Can add-ons get me banned?" But go ahead, criticize a way. I'm used to it.
06-05-07, 03:00 PM   #11
Nandy
A Theradrim Guardian
If you saw all the smartass remarks mazzle got from beta till now, I think he earned the chance to be a smartass himself . And if you are so inclined to read the ToS *lol* then you could easily read up on the addons in this Ui....
06-05-07, 03:11 PM   #12
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Typical of the wow community I guess. A simple, reasonable question is asked, only to be met with sacrasm and ridicule.

I bet you 99% of the people reading this are not exactly sure of all the packages that come included with Mazzle, how do YOU know what you're running? Do you think that at anytime in the past someone has downloaded an addon from XYZ only to find out their account has been suspended or banned due to that addon? Tell me, do you think that's ever happened? Or are we in the realms of fantasy here...

How many here have actually read (and understood?!?) all the ToS? If you havent, how do you know a package in Mazzle isnt borderline or plane breaking the rules? Assumption is the mother of all screwups.

Seems to me Mazzle isnt even sure him/herself? Otherwise a simple 'yes all addons in my pack are 100% OK with the WoW ToS' would of been alot easier, and given a deffinative answer, rather than the go-look-here-you-wont-get-an-answer-from-me 'funny' reply.

people complain all the time about getting banned because of cartographer or the g15 keyboard( they probably made an illegal macro so it's there fault.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
06-05-07, 04:43 PM   #13
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
If someone blames their ban on Cartographer, they're not giving up the whole story.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-06-07, 12:57 AM   #14
Ringleron
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Dude, take a chill pill.

When I read your response post to the "sarcasm and ridicule", I immediately thought about the long drawn out thread about ... well... something in the past.

And just as what the other posters said, Blizzard created the WoW API that allows the addons to be written in the first place. No doubt that if Blizzard "notices" that a particular addon is giving a huge advantage over the ones without the addon, I'm sure Blizzard would change their own API to make that addon useless (the old Autobuff addon comes to mind).
06-06-07, 10:01 AM   #15
airdragon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Typical of the WoW community I guess. A simple question gets asked and everyone has an opinion. If you had been paying attention the post Mazz pointed to CLEARLY answered the question. But since everyone seems to be to lazy to read beyond the first lines... here let me get it for you:

Originally Posted by Slouken
This is a very good explanation of things as I understand them. However, I am not involved in policy and I'm not a lawyer.

While we've done our best not to penalize people who use the scripting interface, even in ways that aren't intended, it's conceivable that at some point someone will find a way to use them that is against the terms of use (e.g. is hurting other people's play experience), and is something we can't disable. In that case it's possible that we might warn people that using the AddOn is against the terms of use, and if they continue to do so, some action would be taken.

If you haven't been explicitly warned by a GM, or seen an official Blizzard response about an AddOn or UI modification, then don't worry about it.
So it would seem a fairly definitive answer. A GM will warn you (IE letting you know you are doing something bad) and you will have ample ability to go and turn it off.

And I'm going to be honest, if theres anyone around here that deserves some sarcasm points, it Mazzlefizz. Lets see you work on something that long and hard just to turn around and have 100K plus morons come and bash it 24/7. After you do that come back and tell me you wouldn't feel a little jaded.

So in short let me spell it out like someone else did. Bad show WoW community, bad show.
06-06-07, 11:33 AM   #16
Kraki
An Aku'mai Servant
this is way too many responses to simply say, no, its not against the ToS
06-07-07, 08:49 AM   #17
Cilas
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz
... my UI contains a keylogger.
I knew it! Mazzle is in my account, sharding my purplz!

In all seriousness, the original post has been covered time and time again on the Blizzard boards. It's a non-issue, and the OP deserved a ruder post that they got, imho.

I didn't even think it was rude. . . jeez. Some people are overly sensitive.
06-07-07, 09:23 AM   #18
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Well, some people may be new to the gave or really have no idea what is or is not possible through an addon. Not everyone reads the blizz forums. So, I don't think a rude response would be called for. But Mazzle's still wasn't really rude...

06-07-07, 10:30 PM   #19
Therok
An Aku'mai Servant
His question was answered, why the hell does it matter so much how it was done? Especially in a generation where people worship professional *******s like carlos mencia, or dave chapelle. So the guy who wrote your addon thinks you're a dumbass, does it really matter?
06-08-07, 07:28 AM   #20
Trevelyen
A Fallenroot Satyr

Can someone please use their moderation power and stop this madness, its not helping anyone. Since it doesnt seem that people can police them selves.

--Trevelyen

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Mazzle and ToS