03-25-08, 04:10 AM   #1
sircreeps
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

yet another noob question.... (seerah, its all you!)

is there a simple way of using your UI on an alt? without having to replicate the mods that dont load up settings from different toons?
03-25-08, 04:37 AM   #2
digmouse
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
not *very* simple, I usually just copy settings of my main char in the WTF folder(WTF\ACCOUNT\YOUACCOUNT\Realm\Character), and rename it as my alt, most times, this will work, and remember to save some specific addon's settings to apply on your alt, e.g eCastingBar, Trinity, these all have a "Profile" or "Template" feature for you to apply on other characters
03-25-08, 04:38 AM   #3
Taffu
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Simply copy the Character folder from your WTF folder and rename it to the Alts name. The only things that won't save are Blizzard-specific Character Variables...like the Chat Frame loc/size. However, even that can be copied provided you hop into the files and rename the data.
03-25-08, 09:26 AM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Chat frame loc/size doesn't need to be renamed or anything. Just copy it over with the rest of the files. So, just take one character's folder, copy everything in it, and move it into the second character's folder in your WoW\WTF folder.

Now, there are some addons which make copying settings very difficult. Some addons store their settings per character *but* in the account saved variables, not in the character specific saved variables. (ie, in the account's sv file for that addon, it's a list of characters and what their settings are.) If you come across an addon like this, you will either need to redo the settings for that mod or go into the saved variables file yourself and manually copy the settings from one character to another.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-25-08, 10:22 AM   #5
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Now, there are some addons which make copying settings very difficult. Some addons store their settings per character *but* in the account saved variables, not in the character specific saved variables. (ie, in the account's sv file for that addon, it's a list of characters and what their settings are.) If you come across an addon like this, you will either need to redo the settings for that mod or go into the saved variables file yourself and manually copy the settings from one character to another.
Also note that most of the popular addons that use this way to save character-specific settings do it so that there is a "Profile" option available. Hence, you can, in-game, copy the settings from another character using the profile option from the addon.
03-25-08, 10:26 AM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Well... Sometimes... Dash does not, and I have seen one or two others as well. AutoBar checks class before *assigning* you a profile, also.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-25-08, 02:36 PM   #7
sircreeps
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

alright, as long as i can get the basic layout i.e. eepanels, ag_UF, elk buff bars, squeenix, etc. i wouldnt mind changing around things that depend on your class like bar mods and stuff. would i have to keep changing the name back and forth or will it save the UI to the character?
03-25-08, 06:32 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
If you what was mentioned with the folder/files above, you'll only need to do it once.

03-25-08, 10:40 PM   #9
sircreeps
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

kk, thanks for all the help guys!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » yet another noob question.... (seerah, its all you!)