04-08-09, 04:56 AM   #1
Xolan
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Possibillity of a Curse mirror?

Hi

First off I'd like to thank you for your amazing work. This is an intuitive addon, with features I hadn't even thought was possible before I started using Carbonite. Hence, it got my support. (And is the only addon I've supported thus far - just because it stretches some of the boundaries of addon-development, and I'd like to see where it'll go from here.)

Anywho, on topic.
Will you guys be mirroring the latest releases on Curse? I'm one of those people who uses an external program for addon-management, in this case the Curse-client. I'd like to be able to update Carbonite with it also. Not a huge deal, but it'd make my life easier.

04-08-09, 03:53 PM   #2
Oakayam
Premium Member

Curseclient is yet to add the donate button to their application but I hear it is on their list to do.

04-08-09, 05:03 PM   #3
Sondgerothja
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
wowmatrix has it on it, and has a donate button for it already setup, and I prefer it over curse client personally.

just Google wowmatrix and first thing that pops up is their site (which I attempted to link, but it refused to let me...)

04-08-09, 06:01 PM   #4
Xolan
A Fallenroot Satyr
Aye I know of it Thing is I also play warhammer, which the curse client also supports

04-08-09, 08:24 PM   #5
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Sondgerothja View Post
wowmatrix has it on it, and has a donate button for it already setup, and I prefer it over curse client personally.

just Google wowmatrix and first thing that pops up is their site (which I attempted to link, but it refused to let me...)
There is a good reason why the link was refused.

In a nutshell Wowmatrix is BAD ... it hurts sites like curse and WoWI by STEALING their bandwidth and ad revenue.

Also a small link to a donate button is pointless considering that wowmatrix is designed to be an automated system. In order to see that small donate link you need actually click on the addon in wowmatrix. AND what are the chances it is actually going to the developers of Carbonite?

Not to mention the fact that the program and their site is LITTERED with gold selling ads.

Last edited by Sepioth : 04-08-09 at 08:33 PM.

04-09-09, 08:27 AM   #6
Unbelievable
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Sepioth's absolutely right. WowMatrix is evil. It operates by circumventing measures put in place by WowInterface and other aggregators specifically designed to prevent bandwidth leeching.

After the recent upheaval caused by Blizzards new dev policy, I expect aggregator sites will come under increased pressure to secure submitted content by mod authors. IMO the first way they'll do that is by banning bandwidth leechers by IP address. If that fails they may move to captcha tests and/or downloads only being available to logged in individuals.

Basically, support the aggregators and mod authors. Stop using bandwidth leeching software.

04-11-09, 04:51 AM   #7
Mittparadox
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

i would rather see a tiny carbonite update program that pops up when new update is available. showing version nr. subscription expiration date etc.

when theres a new update or your subscription is about to expire it pops up and u hit update or renew sub.

04-11-09, 06:21 AM   #8
Xolan
A Fallenroot Satyr
Well subs are gone, but yeah that'd work as well.

04-11-09, 06:34 AM   #9
Mittparadox
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Xolan View Post
Well subs are gone, but yeah that'd work as well.
yeh i just read about that. sucks realy. i dident mind paying.

guess ill be donating from now on then

04-11-09, 11:29 AM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Add carbonite to your list of favorites here on wowi. Then go here: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...=modifyoptions and tell the site to email you if your favorites are updated.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-11-09, 02:16 PM   #11
Xolan
A Fallenroot Satyr
Cheers, I guess that'll have to do for now

04-16-09, 01:09 AM   #12
todd0168
A Frostmaul Preserver

Just thought I would put this update in here:

If you click on the following link to Omen's page on curse, you can clearly see a donation button for their addon.

In fact, in checking to make sure my link worked, I noticed that there are, in fact, two donation buttons.

lol

04-16-09, 02:20 AM   #13
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Any auto updater that installs Carbonite must have a donate button prominently displayed. Donations are critical to the project.

04-16-09, 11:26 AM   #14
Amadox
A Kobold Labourer
i would SOOOO appreciate if you could add carbonite to curse, especially now where i get "500 Internal Server Error" on WoW Interface on 19 of 20 clicks..

but i absolutly understand that you need that donate-button. i hope curse adds that asap..

04-16-09, 12:37 PM   #15
satterwc
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Amadox View Post
i would SOOOO appreciate if you could add carbonite to curse, especially now where i get "500 Internal Server Error" on WoW Interface on 19 of 20 clicks..

but i absolutly understand that you need that donate-button. i hope curse adds that asap..
Just curious why anyone would use the Curse client? Perhaps they have fixed it in the past few months, but it used to update whatever it felt like updating without giving you specific control etc. and provided no real logging. I really miss how WAU used to work. I would be willing to take a look at the client again if you guys say it has gotten better, but for now I am happy with looking at WoWInterface.com recently updated addons every day.

04-16-09, 12:46 PM   #16
Haavok
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Amadox View Post

You can also download directly from the Carbonite site.
http://www.carboniteaddon.com/downloadmore.aspx

04-16-09, 01:09 PM   #17
Xolan
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by satterwc View Post
Just curious why anyone would use the Curse client? Perhaps they have fixed it in the past few months, but it used to update whatever it felt like updating without giving you specific control etc. and provided no real logging. I really miss how WAU used to work. I would be willing to take a look at the client again if you guys say it has gotten better, but for now I am happy with looking at WoWInterface.com recently updated addons every day.
They've been giving it facelifts since they started adding other games to it (mainly Warhammer). First couple of months it was very rough, but now I couldn't live without it, at least not untill we get a similar/better solution from wowInterface.

It does not auto-upgrade, but it does auto-update it's repositories, making addon-updates a one click affair. If you need an addon management tool however you won't find it in curse's client. It's merely an update/install addons - addon client.

04-16-09, 01:33 PM   #18
Ohn03s
A Defias Bandit
Well. The policy said it was forbidden to sell an addon right? I guess its still possible to make it for current donators. Or on the other side make a distribution program for carbonite to distribute it. Carbonite itself will be free but the program to distribute it isn't. A lot of way's to avoid the Terms of use. People just pay to use the distribution program

04-16-09, 05:20 PM   #19
Daelic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
Any auto updater that installs Carbonite must have a donate button prominently displayed. Donations are critical to the project.
Just to play devil's advocate... the wowinterface updater has no such donation link, yet I can use it to update carbonite just fine.

In all seriousness, though... considering the fact that wowinterface is often the one that breaks under patch-day load, a curse mirror would be appreciated.

04-16-09, 07:02 PM   #20
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Ohn03s View Post
Well. The policy said it was forbidden to sell an addon right? I guess its still possible to make it for current donators. Or on the other side make a distribution program for carbonite to distribute it. Carbonite itself will be free but the program to distribute it isn't. A lot of way's to avoid the Terms of use. People just pay to use the distribution program
And such a program would be considered a "Service" related to the addon.

Everyone really needs to quit talking about ways to "circumvent" the policy.

It is what it is .. move on .. I think Carbonite will be just fine on a donation based system.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Possibillity of a Curse mirror?