08-03-18, 10:22 AM   #1
MuffinManKen
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Is there any way to add data to error reports?

At a bare minimum I'd like to get the version of the addon displayed in the error reports that users send. If I understand things correctly, there are 2 basic options:
  1. Override the errorhandler. I could do this but then I'd be fighting with standalone error handler addons like BugSack, so I'm not sure that's a good idea.
  2. Use pcall, add to the error string and then call the system errorhandler. Having to wrap everything in a pcall would be a pain and I don't know what the cost of that would be at runtime (is pcall expensive?).

Have others done something like this?
08-03-18, 11:20 AM   #2
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

You could put a version or build number in your addon’s filenames. Players won’t be able to update your addon without exiting WoW though.
08-03-18, 03:45 PM   #3
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It's been almost two years since I've played WoW, but I would guess that this hasn't changed, and that would be that for an addon to update you can not be "in the game". Oh, if you're playing you can still update the addons - the update just won't take affect until you log completely out of the game.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 08-03-18 at 03:49 PM. Reason: more blah blah blah.
08-03-18, 04:15 PM   #4
MuffinManKen
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
It's been almost two years since I've played WoW, but I would guess that this hasn't changed, and that would be that for an addon to update you can not be "in the game". Oh, if you're playing you can still update the addons - the update just won't take affect until you log completely out of the game.
Not exactly, if the lua files change you can reload the ui and it will work. TOC file changes require quitting and restarting though.
08-03-18, 04:17 PM   #5
MuffinManKen
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
You could put a version or build number in your addon’s filenames. Players won’t be able to update your addon without exiting WoW though.
Points for creativity, but it's a bit ugly. I think git would hate me if every single file changed every release too.
08-03-18, 08:55 PM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by MuffinManKen View Post
Not exactly, if the lua files change you can reload the ui and it will work. TOC file changes require quitting and restarting though.
DOH!! You're correct and I'm not. Hmm ..... Go figure.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Is there any way to add data to error reports?