03-01-10, 04:54 PM   #1
Shinjite
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Vista Confirmation Dialog For IE When Running Minion

For the past couple months, I've been getting the Vista Confirmation Dialog for Internet Explorer's Add-on Installer *almost* every time I've opened Minion. This is the confirmation box that opens when a program isn't running under admin privileges, if I'm calling it the wrong thing.

Anyhow, does someone know why this would be popping up? I don't use IE, and definitely not any IE browser add-ons. IE has never been open when I've run Minion. I just deny the program, and continue. Many thanks for any advice.
03-01-10, 09:31 PM   #2
Xaxziminrax the Second
A Murloc Raider
It could be that the Minion hooks into a browser to show the news service. It would probably reach for the system default.
Edit: If this is the case, change your default browser to firefox or something, and then open minion again as you typically would.

And is the term you're looking for UAC(?) (User Access Control). The one that looks like this? http://www.intelliadmin.com/images/V...C%20Prompt.png
03-01-10, 09:58 PM   #3
Shinjite
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Xaxziminrax the Second View Post
It could be that the Minion hooks into a browser to show the news service. It would probably reach for the system default.
Edit: If this is the case, change your default browser to firefox or something, and then open minion again as you typically would.

And is the term you're looking for UAC(?) (User Access Control). The one that looks like this? http://www.intelliadmin.com/images/V...C%20Prompt.png
Sorry, I meant to include in my original post that FF is my default browser. I never open IE unless I actually need to do so.

The image you linked isn't the one that pops up though. It's this -ignore the File Operation that's asking to run, as this isn't the exact dialog I get-: http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2008/04/uac.jpg Although, technically, I believe they're the same, as the titlebar reads "User Account Control" in both images.
03-01-10, 10:19 PM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It might be a good idea to get the correct screenshot to appear if neither of those is what you are getting.

But if you only browser is FireFox it shouldn't ask for IE8 anyway unless its just a wording error somewhere.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
03-01-10, 10:48 PM   #5
Shinjite
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
It might be a good idea to get the correct screenshot to appear if neither of those is what you are getting.

But if you only browser is FireFox it shouldn't ask for IE8 anyway unless its just a wording error somewhere.
I couldn't get a screenshot of the dialog since the prompt basically locks everything on my keyboard except my arrow keys to switch from Continue to Cancel, but I did open and close Minion about six times, and got the prompt twice- once on the first run, and the second on the sixth. However, I did get this error once during my tests:

EDIT: Forgot that HTML won't work, so I'll try again with the Insert Picture option:

Seems like it's still calling up IE for some reason. I did notice that the add never loaded in the corner after I canceled out this prompt. Puzzling indeed.

I'll try to Google an exact screenshot of the dialog that pops up.
03-01-10, 10:53 PM   #6
Shinjite
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Shinjite View Post
I'll try to Google an exact screenshot of the dialog that pops up.
Found one:
03-01-10, 11:03 PM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Does that IE message pop up when that error to use scripts pop up ? Maybe untick that box.

Maybe the way Minion is written it by default tries to use IE to do its html stuff. Or it could be the way the programming software works to hook into IE. Especially if its Microsoft software rofl.

Hopefully those 2 screenshots will help the developers of minion to find what the cause is.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
03-02-10, 04:00 PM   #8
Shinjite
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Does that IE message pop up when that error to use scripts pop up ? Maybe untick that box.
That's actually the first time I've had that happen, and I'm beginning to think that it's an ad problem since no ad loaded after I closed out that debug prompt. Perhaps the reason I'm getting the IE Add-on UAC is because of a tainted ad? I did some more testing, and twice when I got the IE Add-on UAC prompt, the same ad loaded inside Minion.

Especially if its Microsoft software rofl.
I rofl'd at that. It wouldn't be the first time.

Hopefully those 2 screenshots will help the developers of minion to find what the cause is.
This is my hope as well. If it's an ad exploit of some sort, I really hope it doesn't become a widespread outbreak. Minion is extremely useful, and one of the reasons I chose WoWInterface. Ad exploits might cripple its userbase's confidence in the program.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Vista Confirmation Dialog For IE When Running Minion