10-15-23, 08:19 PM   #1
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Is there a comprehensive guide to auto-doc addon APIs?

I've spent the better part of a week looking at the BigWigs Packager, GitHub workflows, Ace3 on GitHub, and assorted other Google searches, and come to a singular conclusion: all the existing guides assume you know everything in the guides before you start. The BigWigs Packager is easily the best documented, yet I remember having questions when things didn't go as presented.

There is an amazing quantity of "do this" with little to no explanation. Today, I discovered CIs and that you can create a YAML document to parse an addon for APIs and upload to a website's page. However, nowhere is "CI" defined. Sure, "criminal investigator" is valid, but I don't think that's related to GitHub and code.

What is needed by the community is a full, complete, documented, step-by-step guide, hopefully with screenshots, of how to parse a Lua file, ignore the parts that shouldn't be parsed, and how to create web pages of APIs.

What is "luarocks" and how is it different from "luacheck"? Which files need to be created in a project's hierarchy, and what should those files contain? Does this need to be a new file, or can a project's release.yml file be extended?

The BigWigs Packager mentions PanDoc and SVN. Is PanDoc useful for my questions? How can someone install SVN in a GitHub workflow? Would doing so allow "$revision: 12345 $" in an addon?

I think I have a dozen more questions, but I don't know which questions to ask. I am going to include below a link to LibAboutPanel-2.0's GitHub page. Use it as an example. It has none of what I am asking about, so it is a "blank slate", and good as a learning tool.

Should someone be kind enough to create a comprehensive guide, please pin it in this thread. Thank you!

https://github.com/Myrroddin/libaboutpanel-2.0

Last edited by myrroddin : 10-15-23 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Questions about PanDoc and SVN

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Tutorials & Other Helpful Info. » Is there a comprehensive guide to auto-doc addon APIs?