05-14-09, 06:04 AM   #1
Twidget
An Aku'mai Servant

Lightbulb Feature Request

Hi,
In addition to Herbs and Ore could you add Fishing Node tracking to the Nodes information?

Also, could you add an option to not display quest items in the watch list? I use another mod for this that shows the quest items in a separate bar (Questclicks). When the icons were small I just ignored them. Now that they are much larger and actually hang outside the left edge of the quest watch box I would really like to be able to turn them off if possible.

Thanks,
Twidget

Last edited by Twidget : 05-14-09 at 01:54 PM.

05-14-09, 01:57 PM   #2
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Good idea

05-17-09, 09:06 PM   #3
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Twidget View Post
In addition to Herbs and Ore could you add Fishing Node tracking to the Nodes information?
Like where you fished at??? Where bodies of water are??? You can fish in any zone at any skill now.

Originally Posted by Twidget View Post
Also, could you add an option to not display quest items in the watch list? I use another mod for this that shows the quest items in a separate bar (Questclicks). When the icons were small I just ignored them. Now that they are much larger and actually hang outside the left edge of the quest watch box I would really like to be able to turn them off if possible.
On todo list.

05-19-09, 03:18 PM   #4
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
Like where you fished at??? Where bodies of water are??? You can fish in any zone at any skill now.
If I'm not mistaken, "Track Fishing" tracks pools.

05-19-09, 05:19 PM   #5
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
There is a Fish tracking skill just like there is a Herb and Mine.

Fish pools always appear in the same spots (although they can cycle different pools) He want's an icon where a pool may be (just like Herbs and Mines) so you know where possible pools may be.

I also think this is a great idea and always wondered why it was never implemented.

05-21-09, 04:24 AM   #6
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Wow, you have never fished have you

05-21-09, 10:29 PM   #7
Unbelievable
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
I also think this is a great idea and always wondered why it was never implemented.
Same. It's not just Carbonite that's missed a trick here either. Gatherer lacks fishing pool tracking too.

I'm guessing it's a case of working out which fish can only be hooked from pools and using that to define a pool of that fish type. Trouble is pools often give a variety of non-pool fish too, which might make tracking their locations a bit more hit and miss.

One way to work around the randomness is to put the player in control. I.E. Display play "Pool" button when a fishing rod is equipped. When the player fishes from a pool, they can select the button. A menu of possible pool types for a given zone pops up. User selects pool type. Pool of selected type added to gather database for players current location.

However it's implemented, it would be extremely useful.

05-22-09, 12:17 AM   #8
stormkeep
Drunken Dorf

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Unbelievable View Post
Same. It's not just Carbonite that's missed a trick here either. Gatherer lacks fishing pool tracking too.

I'm guessing it's a case of working out which fish can only be hooked from pools and using that to define a pool of that fish type. Trouble is pools often give a variety of non-pool fish too, which might make tracking their locations a bit more hit and miss.

One way to work around the randomness is to put the player in control. I.E. Display play "Pool" button when a fishing rod is equipped. When the player fishes from a pool, they can select the button. A menu of possible pool types for a given zone pops up. User selects pool type. Pool of selected type added to gather database for players current location.

However it's implemented, it would be extremely useful.
This has been implimented in a few addons with functionality similiar to gatherer and I imagine it's no more difficult than ore and herb nodes. The addon doesn't have to figure out what fish you catch in the pool. Just like Herbs and Ore, the name of the pool is all you need to know. Consider the herb nodes that give a randomly selected type of herb...the actual name of the node is what carbonite tracks. It should be a simple matter of adapting the code already used for mining and herbalism to also handle fishing pools.

05-22-09, 02:34 PM   #9
Elastoplast
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs up

I agree - fish school tracking would be a great addition.

08-19-09, 06:38 AM   #10
Twidget
An Aku'mai Servant

Hi,
Yes, tracking of the fishing nodes themselves was what I was originally asking for and from all the responses it appears others would like this feature too.

For an example you could look at the Gathermate mod on Curse. I use this now instead of Gatherer (used it for years) because it tracks fishing nodes and gas clouds.

Thanks for a WONDERFUL mod,
Twidget

10-02-09, 11:00 AM   #11
kanntara
A Defias Bandit
This is the only thing I can see keeping from using this addon full time. Unless... there is a magic way to get gathermate to work with Carbonite.

10-05-09, 11:02 AM   #12
Harshmage
Different

Premium Member
Lightbulb Suggestion to the Track Fish request

As I understand the tracking of nodes (ore, herb, and treasure), it's dependent on being right on top of the object in question, and it being a world object. While, yes, there is a Track Fish skill, which populates the mini-map with locations of pools, you can't right-click on the pools themselves.

This being said, as with Gatherer and probably the Carbonite Gather module, there are no addons that will automagically make a map note on where the nodes are when they populate in the mini-map. I do believe that might be against the add-on policy handed down from Blizzard (otherwise someone would have made one by now, yes?).

I could see an additional option to appear when tracking fish on the mini-map to mark that node. I did similar with MapNotes back in BC with Mixed Highland Schools (fly over the school directly, /mn -q [icon] [name]).
Button function might perform a scan of visible fish nodes on the mini-map, and mark their places and what they are, and only be a function when using Track Fish, and not an option for tracking anything else.

10-07-09, 06:03 AM   #13
Twidget
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by kanntara View Post
This is the only thing I can see keeping from using this addon full time. Unless... there is a magic way to get gathermate to work with Carbonite.
Hi,
I use Gathermate with Carbonite with no issues. I just disabled Carbonite gather tracking and use Gathermate with Routes to get the same functionality plus everything else I wanted. I don't know how it does it but with Gathermate when you fish a node for the first time it adds it to its database. You have to fish the node for it to be added... doesn't happen automagically so I don't think they are breaking any mod rules.

Hope this makes it into Carbonite eventually but in the mean time I have a work around... besides, been playing Aion more lately anyway.

Twidget

10-08-10, 02:27 PM   #14
evlkind
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Unbelievable View Post
GatherMate does show the fish pools, and gas clouds.

..however in comparison to Gatherer... Gathermate sucks

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Feature Request