View Poll Results: Which of the following would you, as a mod author, be willing to do?
I'm not willing to do anything 3 37.50%
I would be willing to host my own XML containing the latest version information 2 25.00%
I would be willing to update your XML file each time I release a new version 1 12.50%
I think the users can be trusted to update the XML after being the first to download a new version 1 12.50%
I have a better idea (see bellow) 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

07-10-06, 12:40 PM   #1
Perfunction
A Defias Bandit
WoW Updater (Mod authors please read!)

I have developed an addon updating utility and for the best results I'm going to need the help of the mod community.

My program scans the Interface/Addons directory and calculates a CRC32 value for each addon_name.toc file. It then compares that value to an entry in an XML stored on the web. If the values don't match the program suggests that the user should update their addon and launches the download link in their default browser.

The problem is that keeping the XML file up to date for even the major addons will be a pain in the ass for a single person. Another issue is that if a mod author does not update their TOC file with each release it will not appear to be different. Please take a look at the poll I have created or add a suggestion bellow.

Last edited by Perfunction : 07-10-06 at 12:48 PM.
07-12-06, 07:16 AM   #2
Perfunction
A Defias Bandit
eh, whatever, i'll just make it available to my guild and manage it ourselves
07-13-06, 08:17 AM   #3
Perfunction
A Defias Bandit
I'm going to host my own XML file but each addon will have an attribute allowing a remote XML file to be used for that specific addon.

If those authors who were willing to host their file can send me a PM I can have a public version available by the end of the weekend.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » WoW Updater (Mod authors please read!)