10-14-10, 01:46 PM   #81
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Probably not a great forum to say this but .... If carbonite would host on Curse us paid curse client users would be donating to them. Maybe the MMO down-loader can do a similar thing as the curse client people do, give an option to pay for the client and a portion of the fee goes to donations to the authors.
I know Carbonite went through a major decision on where and how to locate and allow the mod to be downloaded. I assume (and think I remember) that the donation portion of the sites was also considered and Carbonite only wished to have one location in which the mod was centrally located. Donating to Carbonite is simple enough, I don't think it really detracts from the potential donations.

Last edited by schizophrena : 10-14-10 at 01:49 PM.

10-14-10, 01:48 PM   #82
Celtic Trader
A Murloc Raider
Something to ponder with the Curse thing...

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Probably not a great forum to say this but .... If carbonite would host on Curse us paid curse client users would be donating to them. Maybe the MMO down-loader can do a similar thing as the curse client people do, give an option to pay for the client and a portion of the fee goes to donations to the authors.
Before that happens...Might want to ponder something such as, what is the debt to advantage ratio? And How much control over the software would be given up to Curse, if any. Just to name two right off the bat

Good idea though...
Celtic Trader

10-14-10, 01:49 PM   #83
adracamas
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've been meaning to do this for some time now..

..not to mention, you have a family.. and though you might enjoy making this add on, and I know you have a sense of joy when you've completed and accomplishing feat. (i.e. another scratch thought the to-do list).

But what made me
Code:
You sent a payment of $10.00 USD to Carbon Based Creations, LLC.
This charge will appear on your credit card statement as payment to PAYPAL *CARBONBASED.
was the fact that you introduced the 'human' element by dropping in.. letting everyone see that it's not just a mystical add on that everyone was complaining "broken".. to top it all off apologizing even though you has NO need to... and threw us all a proverbial bone.

And for that.. I thank you and plan on dropping some 'spare change' as i can.

Thank you again.

10-14-10, 01:57 PM   #84
Paprika
A Black Drake
Curse would be good for updating this addon cause i hate MMO Minion, it sucks.

10-14-10, 02:03 PM   #85
whisardswife
A Defias Bandit
Anxiously awaiting an update But also patiently waiting - understand people have lives outside of my addiction lol ---- I've been playing for about 6 months now and our whole family is addicted hahahaha. When I logged on yesterday and went through the painful download to find my interface MESSED up I about chucked the pc I was so angry... then got the interface problem fixed to find I had no maps worth using... about broke down crying in frustration! Now I can breath a bit in relief knowing that it is being worked on

10-14-10, 02:32 PM   #86
S@thi
A Theradrim Guardian

I cried (softly inside) after reading this post...
Welll there's a story behind all that but no need to spread that on the interwebz.
I'm just glad you guys are back on it and keep us informed.
Asked my bf to make another donation and he said he will do it!
Keep us posted please, i'll be thrilled if I get my beloved addon working again and I can remove tomtom and lightheaded (it's no-where near carbonite)

One thing I wondered about I did notice the Zygor addon...
And they work actually on paying plans for the addon
http://www.zygorguides.com/

Can anyone explain this to me?

10-14-10, 02:37 PM   #87
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by S@thi View Post
One thing I wondered about I did notice the Zygor addon...
And they work actually on paying plans for the addon
http://www.zygorguides.com/

Can anyone explain this to me?
They charge for the guide. The addon comes with it for free. I think that's how they get off on the whole issue, but can't say for sure.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".

10-14-10, 02:46 PM   #88
Catraxe
A Kobold Labourer
Just when you think it's safe to generalize all WoW Gamers...

Very witty! If only I could be entertained by writing such as this throughout my stays in Azeroth! Huzzah to the brave and bright humour writer!

Originally Posted by blc1973 View Post
To the developers of the Carbonite add on,
When I first started on my journey in WoW little over three years ago, the add on community did not resonate well with me. I felt the eventual risk of computer hacks far outweighed the usefulness of any secondary utility program and therefore felt justified in my stubborn refusal to submit to the add on craze… After countless hours roaming the world of Azeroth with my head up my bottom; I abandon the subtle art of always getting lost and came in desperation to you. Never again did I feel the sting of rejection when looking for my trainers. Alas I was in heaven when looking to complete a long and arduous quest line in obscure lands, for not once did you ever lead me astray. Years later Carbonite has become the Yen to my Yang, the Pimp to my Ho, Dare I say the Cleveland to my steamer! And a couple of days ago, I thought I may have lost you forever… I couldn’t eat, I couldn’t sleep, Dear Sir’s I could not GAME! I was so confused and frightened. My whole world was in disarray. I forgot where my children went to school! I could not locate my bathroom and therefore soiled myself on several occasions. I couldn’t even find my cookbook to feed my family… Oh the pain! Ohh the suffering! I thought all was lost, but then…. A light! I read your post oh ye Carbonite savior! And he said, “Blessed are the children of the Carbonite nation, for I give unto you an update for thine new patchith’th’th!”Oh be praised! So I sit here in utter filth until I see the light of the update! The promise has been made, and the promise shall be kept! Bless you Carbonite! You have given me back my missing Yang! My Ho now has a Pimp once again and my Steamer… Oh my Steamer thanks you; for once again it shall have its dear Cleveland! Thank you Carbonite! Thank you!!!!
Love, Me!
Disclaimer; All religious innuendo and poorly hidden dirty jokes are not the opinion of this poster or her affiliates. We apologize for any true life similarities to any actual users of Carbonite. Ie. When I said “My ho” I did not mean “your ho” or “You are a Ho” therefore it has and always will be “My ho” unless of course you really ARE a ho, in which case apologize for taking ownership of said ho…..

10-14-10, 03:25 PM   #89
adracamas
A Fallenroot Satyr

Changed mind, would rather let it go.

Last edited by adracamas : 10-14-10 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Changed mind.. would rather let it go.

10-14-10, 03:31 PM   #90
shadowdragonjpi
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
We were caught off guard by the 4.0 patch. Haavok is out of town. I have not been playing games the last several weeks, since I'm busy on other projects. My son plays Wow, but has not for the last few days, so we had no idea there was a patch until I got that email today and thought he meant Cataclysm. I ran WoW and the update started saying "4.01". Needless to say I was surprised!

There will be a Carbonite update.

I will be working on fixing immediate 4.0 issues tonight/tomorrow. Don't know how long that will take. Still trying to get our computers patched up. Son's is having errors...
One problem, the 4.0 patch has been advertised now for the last three weeks. Everyone knew it was coming, except for this place I guess. I have donated in the past, but will wait to see if we get an update soon before I donate again.

10-14-10, 03:47 PM   #91
staestc
A Defias Bandit
Want to chime in with Shadowdragon. I am one of the folks that bought Carbonite before that practice was stopped. And have donated since then. I had a lot of addons crash with this patch, as they always do, but 90% of them have been corrected.

Needing donations I understand, and I do donate to extent I can. But the developer not paying attention to what is happening to your program and to the game it serves, not to mention to the people that have been donating money, is not very easily excused.

Honestly, if you are not paying enough attention to WoW to know that Cataclysm is hitting the streets on December 7, and that there was going to be a 4.0.1 patch to set the stages for that, how can you in good conscience keep asking for donations?

Personally I am a little pissed at having bought the program and donated money, and not even being able to figure out if anybody is working on it, and then seeing a post that said, oh sorry, we did not know, we did not care about anything other than that the donations were still coming in!

10-14-10, 04:02 PM   #92
flamefangahs
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by staestc View Post
Want to chime in with Shadowdragon. I am one of the folks that bought Carbonite before that practice was stopped. And have donated since then. I had a lot of addons crash with this patch, as they always do, but 90% of them have been corrected.

Needing donations I understand, and I do donate to extent I can. But the developer not paying attention to what is happening to your program and to the game it serves, not to mention to the people that have been donating money, is not very easily excused.

Honestly, if you are not paying enough attention to WoW to know that Cataclysm is hitting the streets on December 7, and that there was going to be a 4.0.1 patch to set the stages for that, how can you in good conscience keep asking for donations?

Personally I am a little pissed at having bought the program and donated money, and not even being able to figure out if anybody is working on it, and then seeing a post that said, oh sorry, we did not know, we did not care about anything other than that the donations were still coming in!
You ARE aware that Carbonite's authors are two people with families and jobs right? World of Warcraft, as great as it may be, comes second to real life. No matter how much you b*t*h about the addon being broke, if they have something they need to take care of in the real world... your going to have to live with it. 4.0.1 changed a lot of things just on the user side alone... doesn't that make you think that a LOT of WoWs code has been modified as well? Wouldn't that make it incompatible with out of date addons? Use some common sense before you troll about the authors care about nothing but donations. Why don't you try to find a single addon that carries with it all the function Carbonite has. Not to mention a quest database. That alone should tell you they care a great deal more than you think. And NOT JUST ABOUT DONATIONS.

10-14-10, 04:03 PM   #93
Mossclaw
Premium Member
Premium Member
Wait.. wait.. wait...

The only time that I would feel that there was a breach in honesty is if the two devs knew that they had no intention of working on the addon, but kept the donation button live.

Carbonite, as much as it is a core addon for me, became a fond, time donated-somewhat defrayed, side-project for the devs after Blizzard's decision. They were not shy in explaining the situation, either.

Perhaps it would be better to look upon any donations as a thank you for the time that the addon was used and enjoyed as opposed to a fund that is being raised for future work.

For me, having interacted with the devs before and watched how they handled the shift from payed-for to donation based, when that button is taken down I'll know it's over.

10-14-10, 04:18 PM   #94
Kladdey
A Defias Bandit
You just completed your payment.You'll see your purchase in an upcoming statement.
Your transaction ID for this payment is: 7R637515C53349922.

We'll send a confirmation email to the email address xxxxxxxx. This transaction will appear on your credit card bill with the description: CARBONBASED

Sorry that donation isnt to big atm, got not much funds in my pocket

10-14-10, 04:24 PM   #95
shadow78
A Cliff Giant
All I can do now is

10-14-10, 04:26 PM   #96
Kror
A Kobold Labourer
I just did my part and donated $20 through Pay Pal. Awsome addon!

10-14-10, 04:33 PM   #97
Celtic Trader
A Murloc Raider
Coding aspect...

There was an interesting point brought up about coding. I wonder how many of the users actually know what it takes to write code...I know I don't do code, I'm a hardware guy myself. But I have much respect for coders that can cut through code like a hot knife through butter. It takes a long time to learn AND be effective, in my opinion. Learning doesn't just happen over night. I mean when I was taking C in college I learned really quickly that I wasn't a programmer. It's a really painful experience to fail a class because a SINGLE Semicolon was out of place and it crashed the computer...well locked down the computer and killed the program. Grade on the final project? F...

So my question is simple. All the people making complaints that the software isn't ready yet...How fast can you go through what could potentially be thousands of lines of code, correct it, and then recompile it so that it works with a brand new set of instructions from a patch that's going to completely change the way the original program works?

Just a thought
Celtic Trader

10-14-10, 04:38 PM   #98
CrackaG
A Murloc Raider
Ya true

It would be great if they could bring the map back before anything else. I just want the map to tell you the truth. I can use other addons for the quest then just use the map.

Whats going to happen when cata comes out and all the quest are not in the data base? We have to do the quest the old way. Its going to take a lot of time to get all the quest up to date.

10-14-10, 04:44 PM   #99
aessedai
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by flamefangahs View Post
You ARE aware that Carbonite's authors are two people with families and jobs right? World of Warcraft, as great as it may be, comes second to real life. No matter how much you b*t*h about the addon being broke, if they have something they need to take care of in the real world... your going to have to live with it. 4.0.1 changed a lot of things just on the user side alone... doesn't that make you think that a LOT of WoWs code has been modified as well? Wouldn't that make it incompatible with out of date addons? Use some common sense before you troll about the authors care about nothing but donations. Why don't you try to find a single addon that carries with it all the function Carbonite has. Not to mention a quest database. That alone should tell you they care a great deal more than you think. And NOT JUST ABOUT DONATIONS.
Hey Flamefangahs : Whaaaa! I have a family and a job too. That isn't an excuse for holding a hand out for donations for a product that is not made available. No one is disputing that Carbonite wasn't the best at what it did. The key word now though is "was." Until it is working again your excuses about the authors being two people with families isn't going to get me to click the donate button that is still alive and functional.

WoW 4.0.1 has been in beta for quite a while. There has been plenty of time for the authors to tag team on this project and test it, just like the authors of other addons who also have families, but still got their addons out there on patch day without any excuses or claims of being blind sided by a patch that even my dog knew was coming.

So now we hear from one of the authors that he may have a beta out today, if that can be believed, then how is it possible to get a beta out in one day, but family life has kept two people from making any progress for the last 6 months?

Stop making excuses. Fact : Carbonite doesn't work now.

Time to find something else. If Carbonite does get updated, then great, because it "was" the best addon of its class and worthy of donations if it is supported.

The question now is whether or not the authors consider it worthwhile to support. Either they will support it and not make any excuses in which case they can expect donations, which in turn will make family life even better, especially come Christmas time, or they won't support it, won't get donations, and will spend all of their quality time sitting around the fireplace with the family saying to themselves, "hmmmmm, sitting with the family sure is nice. Group hug guys. I wonder how things are going in Azeroth these days?"

10-14-10, 04:44 PM   #100
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by staestc View Post
Would you rather I lie? I could easily tell you we know everything, have been working hard for months and it will be done any second. I'm a Christian and I hate lies and distortion. I run my businesses with integrity.

We have said we will do what we can to get it working for Cataclysm. We did not know about 4.0 patch, because Haavok and I have not played WoW or been on WoW websites for many weeks. My son plays WoW, but is 9 and does not read websites. I know a patch is out when he tells me.

We have full time jobs and lives and knew Cataclysm was on Dec 7, which was our target date. I put my current iPhone project on hold to deal with the patch 4.0 problems, because we don't like Carbonite broken either.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carb in Cataclysm *CONFIRMED*