10-21-08, 11:17 AM   #1
Aequi
A Cyclonian
Libs, externals and memory usage oh my!

Ok, so i'v been a slave of mazzle - which ofcause mean i had everything handed to me on a silver platter, but now i'm putting the eccentials together myself, but i never quite understood the whole libs and externals thing and how it impacts the memory usage of your whole interface.

Once i got something that more or less works, can i just start to move libs from inside the mods and place them in the addons-folder???
10-21-08, 11:29 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
They don't impact your memory usage, and you, as a user, do not need to worry about libraries. Any addon you download should have everything it needs included.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-26-08, 10:00 AM   #3
Aequi
A Cyclonian
Thanks...

But how do i then handle eks. LibHealComm-3.0 ???

I use Grid, VisualHeal and X-perl, which all use LibHealComm.

Grid and VisualHeal has it implemented as a internal lib, which it doesn't look like X-Perl does... At the same time it seem i got LibHealComm in the main addon folder for some reason (i'm assuming it comes from somewhere...).

While it might not be important where or how it is implementet, how do i update it eks. to the new r10 to get the latest fixes ... Or do i hafta wait for grid/Xperl/VisualHeal to pick up the new versions?
10-26-08, 10:28 AM   #4
tattooedpierre
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Aequi View Post
Thanks...

But how do i then handle eks. LibHealComm-3.0 ???

I use Grid, VisualHeal and X-perl, which all use LibHealComm.

Grid and VisualHeal has it implemented as a internal lib, which it doesn't look like X-Perl does... At the same time it seem i got LibHealComm in the main addon folder for some reason (i'm assuming it comes from somewhere...).

While it might not be important where or how it is implementet, how do i update it eks. to the new r10 to get the latest fixes ... Or do i hafta wait for grid/Xperl/VisualHeal to pick up the new versions?
If you update a lib which has not been specifically tested out for an addon you're using, yes, there is a chance it could break that addon.

So, as you say, if a lib has been updated you are probably best to wait for the full addon packaged with the updated lib rather than installing the lib on its own. It might work, but then again.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Libs, externals and memory usage oh my!