08-06-14, 05:07 AM   #41
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by semlar View Post
He refused to comply with blizzard's addon policy and the addon sites removed it.

Rather than upload a non-offending version, he decided it would be simpler to have anyone who wanted to use it go to his website.
Wow, this is so bad. The question is the donate button still in the addon atm?
08-06-14, 07:38 AM   #42
Resa1983
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Resike View Post
Wow, this is so bad. The question is the donate button still in the addon atm?
Might be.. There's a button that says "Send Beer!" in the bottom left corner which in previous versions went to a donations page.
Dunno if this is current version or what.. Had a friend who uses the addon screenshot for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oQueue.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	8162  
08-06-14, 07:51 AM   #43
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by Resa1983 View Post
Might be.. There's a button that says "Send Beer!" in the bottom left corner which in previous versions went to a donations page.
Dunno if this is current version or what.. Had a friend who uses the addon screenshot for me.
Thats intresting, correct me if i'm wrong but if an addon is not qualifies for the addon policy then it should be banned from the game or not?
Or if Blizzard doesn't take action against addson like this, then whats gonna stop author to create obfuscated premium addons for money, with ads, solicit donations, with negative impact for realms and player i don't like.

Lets say if a user has oQueue loaded, i'm gonna disable the functionaliy of my addon. And have fun ripping of addons then.

Last edited by Resike : 08-06-14 at 08:02 AM.
08-06-14, 08:02 AM   #44
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

Thats intresting, correct me if i'm wrong but if an addon is not qualifies for the addon policy then it should be banned from the game or not?
Well, the addon community may have its opinions, but ultimately it's up to Blizzard to decide whether an addon has violated their addon policy.

So far, Blizzard has not banned oQueue, although they do seem to be aware of it, especially since Warlords of Draenor is getting similar functionality with the new "Premade Groups" system.
08-06-14, 08:09 AM   #45
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by CobraA1 View Post
Well, the addon community may have its opinions, but ultimately it's up to Blizzard to decide whether an addon has violated their addon policy.

So far, Blizzard has not banned oQueue, although they do seem to be aware of it, especially since Warlords of Draenor is getting similar functionality with the new "Premade Groups" system.
But lets be honest, Blizzard never gonna copy every function of the targetted addon, and users will continue to use that addon if it's offers more.
08-06-14, 08:19 AM   #46
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

But lets be honest, Blizzard never gonna copy every function of the targetted addon, and users will continue to use that addon if it's offers more.
Which is not wrong, if Blizzard does not ban it.

From the screenshot Resa1983 showed us, it appears as if the addon only sends people to the website, not directly to a donation page. As far as I know, that's legitimate - many addons, including mine, direct people to a website.

I don't really blame people for trying to skirt close to the rule about not soliciting donations - it's probably the most difficult one to deal with. I get zero donations these days.

Last edited by CobraA1 : 08-06-14 at 08:26 AM.
08-06-14, 08:25 AM   #47
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

From the screenshot Resa1983 showed us, it appears as if the addon only sends people to the website, not directly to a donation page. As far as I know, that's legitimate - many addons, including mine, direct people to a website.
Note the donate button in the bottom left of that image.
08-06-14, 08:33 AM   #48
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by p3lim View Post
Note the donate button in the bottom left of that image.
Well, there's some buttons with questionable wording ("Send Beer!" and "raffle"), but it's up to Blizzard how to interpret them. If there's a button clearly labelled "donate," I am not seeing it.
08-06-14, 09:15 AM   #49
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Well, there's some buttons with questionable wording ("Send Beer!" and "raffle"), but it's up to Blizzard how to interpret them. If there's a button clearly labelled "donate," I am not seeing it.
Well renaming "Donate" to "Send Beer" will not make the donation not solicit.
08-06-14, 09:39 AM   #50
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

Well renaming "Donate" to "Send Beer" will not make the donation not solicit.
*shrug* As far as I know, Blizzard hasn't taken any action against them. That's what ultimately matters.
08-06-14, 09:51 AM   #51
tinystomper
A Murloc Raider

for those that have never seen what the hoopla is about...
08-06-14, 10:24 AM   #52
Resa1983
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by tinystomper View Post
The old Vent link was to a page to donate directly to the Vent server host for the vent server.
As well there was a link to a page on SolidIce's website (which is now gone), which was another donate place, but to donate to the oqueue team.

The variable names were beg.oq & beg.vent. Might still be.
08-06-14, 10:25 AM   #53
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Nothing wrong with that, just the "Send Beer" label is a bit deceiving.
08-06-14, 12:01 PM   #54
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It's so clearly spelled out that it couldn't even be misinterpreted; you can't ask for donations in-game.
5) Add-ons may not solicit donations.
Add-ons may not include requests for donations. We recognize the immense amount of effort and resources that go into developing an add-on; however, such requests should be limited to the add-on website or distribution site and should not appear in the game.
As for why blizzard hasn't actively banned it, it's likely because that would cause more problems than it would solve for such a minor infraction. It is, nevertheless, against the rules, which the addon websites are required to uphold.

Try not to make this any more off-topic than it already is.
08-06-14, 12:30 PM   #55
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by ronburgundyy View Post
I notice Reagent Restocker is currently Licensed MIT. We have taken measures to avoid hosting any All Rights Reserved addons. My understanding is MIT would allow for such hosting, however in best interest if that is not your wishes prior to being able to claim the addon please let me know and it will be disabled.
Indeed, Reagent Restocker is MIT licensed . I don't mind other people hosting it.

However, on the more reputable sites I do prefer to be able to control the quality and release schedule of the addon, so that people know they're getting exactly what they came for. Just wanna be sure I can do that.
08-06-14, 12:31 PM   #56
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'd base the decision on if clicking "Send Beer" links directly to a donation page rather than addon info or anything else.
08-06-14, 01:22 PM   #57
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
I'd base the decision on if clicking "Send Beer" links directly to a donation page rather than addon info or anything else.
It no longer does. When it was put into moderation on Curse, it had two links: One to donate to a Ventrilo server, and one to donate to the AddOn itself.

All that had to be done to rectify the situation was to change it to its current behavior, but instead Curse was vilified and we're where we are now.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

Last edited by Torhal : 08-06-14 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Edited to include original image
08-06-14, 02:03 PM   #58
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Hmm... The top one is a dead link, but the bottom goes directly to a donation page, so I would still consider it soliciting.
08-06-14, 02:07 PM   #59
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
Hmm... The top one is a dead link, but the bottom goes directly to a donation page, so I would still consider it soliciting.
I think he was giving an example of what it used to look like.
08-06-14, 02:27 PM   #60
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Exactly - that is no longer what the AddOn displays.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Solidice - another site hosting addons without permission