12-23-07, 11:05 AM   #1
Voxtrot
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
How to run two windows (dual log) WoW on a Mac

I have a post on the Apple forums as well, but thought this might be a better place to ask...

So I am looking to run two windows/instances of WoW on my mac. Basically so I can use my mage on a seperate account to rush my lowbies through instances. It wont let me simply load the game twice like on a PC, does anyone have any ideas how I could do it?

Link to my Apple.com post: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....162432#6162432
12-23-07, 11:24 AM   #2
tattooedpierre
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Voxtrot
I have a post on the Apple forums as well, but thought this might be a better place to ask...

So I am looking to run two windows/instances of WoW on my mac. Basically so I can use my mage on a seperate account to rush my lowbies through instances. It wont let me simply load the game twice like on a PC, does anyone have any ideas how I could do it?

Link to my Apple.com post: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....162432#6162432
AFAIK you can run WoW in two instances easily by simply duplicating the WoW folder and running the second application (think of WoWTest for PTR, does the same thing really)...

HOWEVER, I also believe it is only possible from a different account, ie: you would need to hold two paying WoW accounts for this to work - I am supremely doubtful that Blizz would permit running one account with two simultaneous logins (especially from the same IP).

I've never tried it on my Mac, but I see no reason for it not to work.
12-23-07, 01:06 PM   #3
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

I'm pretty sure the OP does have 2 accounts.

He is just wondering how to get two WoW Programs running at once, like a PC can do.

I don't know how it works, or if it uses the same WTF and Interface folders. Most people just have side-by-side computers.

Sorry I couldn't help any better.
12-23-07, 05:53 PM   #4
Gorgal
A Murloc Raider
if you havent already tried what second poster has said then i have no idea but what he says is true you need to make 2 copies of the WoW folder because if not both programs try to use the same files and both applications crash
12-23-07, 08:01 PM   #5
Voxtrot
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Yes, I have multiple accounts. I have a mage setup on a seperate account solely to PL my lowbies. Duplicating the WoW folder works, Im going to give tri-logging a shot later, I think my comp can handle it, so should be smooth sailing thru VC, Stocks, SM, and ZF
12-23-07, 09:57 PM   #6
Gorgal
A Murloc Raider
Glad its working
12-23-07, 11:59 PM   #7
Jarek Kain
A Kobold Labourer
Great to hear there's another multiboxer!

Here's a couple sites to check out if you haven't found them already.

http://www.autohotkey.com/ -- I'm not sure if this works on macs, but it's a great program for helping control multiple characters on one system.

http://www.dual-boxing.com/ -- Great info site. This'd be the place to ask if you get stuck on something, chances are good someone's got an answer there.

Once you get used to multiboxing, there's no going back, it changes the entire game.
01-02-08, 07:15 AM   #8
tattooedpierre
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Voxtrot
Yes, I have multiple accounts. I have a mage setup on a seperate account solely to PL my lowbies. Duplicating the WoW folder works, Im going to give tri-logging a shot later, I think my comp can handle it, so should be smooth sailing thru VC, Stocks, SM, and ZF
From what I read (somewhere), on the Mac at least, you can have as many instances open as memory permits.. so you should be able to do as you suggest.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » How to run two windows (dual log) WoW on a Mac