07-17-08, 07:50 PM   #1
6po0
A Defias Bandit
PvE Raid League looking for a special AddOn.

Hi all.

Actually we are preparing a new concept for World Of Warcraft and are seeking about a new but very simple kind of AddOn, this one have to store the time made by a raid, from the first pull, to the kill of the last boss.

Once the raid is finished, players have to send us the time results (any crypted log made by the addon or something like that), and we will make a ranking with that.

I know that they are some Raid Tracker but the problem is that those are not secure, and everybody can edit the datas/logs.
The one we need should not be edited, this to prevent cheating.

So, we are looking for someone who can help us to make this kind of addOn.
We will be very happy to find a solution to our problem and we are open for a partnership if someone can help us fix this problem
07-17-08, 08:30 PM   #2
Nynaeve
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Wait, what?

What do you mean by "time made by the raid"?
07-17-08, 08:57 PM   #3
6po0
A Defias Bandit
Well, we will establish a ranking based on the timings made by a raid, to clean a 5, 10 or 25 men instance.

Example on karazhan :

09:18 first pull
09:40 Attumen's Down
09:58 Moroe's down
10:20 Vertue's down
10:45 Opera Down
00:35 Prince Malchezaar's down

Time made by the raid to clean the instance 09:18 to 00:35 : 3h17m

Those timings are in the combatlog and often used to edit the stat for WoW Web Stats, but everybody can edit it, and change the timings inside, this is why we need someone that can make any addOn or a tools we can use to prevent editing the logs or datas
07-17-08, 09:58 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Well, even with an addon, anyone can go in the saved variables file and edit the data. I'm sorry, I guess we don't quite get what you're needing and why.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-17-08, 10:57 PM   #5
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
There's no real way to verify authenticity here, so what you're trying to do, while it sounds great in theory, would be very difficult to see in practice.

Even a cryptographic answer (which can be done -- the RSA implementations are available by several WoW addon authors) don't provide a real solution, because the people that would be creating malformed data are the ones that would also have the private key.

You would have to find a good way to verify authenticity first.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
07-18-08, 12:39 AM   #6
Nynaeve
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by 6po0 View Post
Well, we will establish a ranking based on the timings made by a raid, to clean a 5, 10 or 25 men instance.

Example on karazhan :

09:18 first pull
09:40 Attumen's Down
09:58 Moroe's down
10:20 Vertue's down
10:45 Opera Down
00:35 Prince Malchezaar's down

Time made by the raid to clean the instance 09:18 to 00:35 : 3h17m

Those timings are in the combatlog and often used to edit the stat for WoW Web Stats, but everybody can edit it, and change the timings inside, this is why we need someone that can make any addOn or a tools we can use to prevent editing the logs or datas
If this is what you want, and you are afraid of someone editing it, then you would have to make sure that someone you trust to not do so would be present at the raid, and you would have no need of anyone else running it. These things can be edited.

I guess I just don't get why you want this to be a raid-wide addon when you could just have the raid leader/officer record these things and report them to the raid.
07-18-08, 02:50 AM   #7
karmamuscle
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I get your idea, would be cool to make a ranking site for fastest raid team.

I doubt that anything like that could be made, everything is editable.

I see two solutions to this;

1. The teams who want to be in this ranked race will have to take a judge, someone you as race manager trusts.

2. Go get Blizzard hooked on the idea, like a tournament for PvE
07-18-08, 04:04 AM   #8
6po0
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
There's no real way to verify authenticity here, so what you're trying to do, while it sounds great in theory, would be very difficult to see in practice.

Even a cryptographic answer (which can be done -- the RSA implementations are available by several WoW addon authors) don't provide a real solution, because the people that would be creating malformed data are the ones that would also have the private key.

You would have to find a good way to verify authenticity first.
This is a solution i thought in the past, do you think that it's possible to crypt the combatlog or any other log generated to find and use the timings inside. After that when the player send us his log we would be able to decrypt with some RSA Key and make it viewable ?

@Nynaeve

I need this because we are preparing a worldwide PvE League, this is not an event or tournament played in 1 or 2 weeks.
So we need a little tools to help us keeping the project without any kind of cheat or advantage.

Cheers.
07-18-08, 07:51 AM   #9
blackpandemic
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Really the only solution would be to have (as said) ONE person go to each event to be the judge. If you handed out the addon to everyone, I'm sure about 50%+ know/could figure out how to edit the data.

And if you DO have a "judge" present, they could just run InstanceTime (another small instance time recording addon) or just use the new stopwatch feature and write down the times, therefore getting rid of the ability to change the data.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » PvE Raid League looking for a special AddOn.