05-10-09, 03:42 AM   #1
jundo
A Murloc Raider
Saving Gold?

Ok, I'm absolutely horrible at saving gold. I used to use an addon called pocketbook way back in the day before 2.0(?) that became uncompatible shortly after. It did pretty much the same stuff as the more modern DepositBox. DepositBox is also out of date by at least a few months. It basically "hides" gold from you in a storage area that you can access if you want, but the button is so unobtrusive as to be virtually hidden. It's easy to put a small percentage of any moneys recieved in there, as long as you don't see it, you don't miss it.
Would it be possible to get an update for it or would someone be willing to write a new one? It's one of the best addon's I've seen for saving gold, you install it, then set it and forget it, then one day you remember you have it and voila! 5000G just sitting there. I actually paid for my level 60 mount this way when I used pocketbook. Back when it cost more to "buy" the pally mount than to buy a regular epic mount.(way before BC).

I'd be happy to write one myself if I had any inkling of a clue as to how to do it.

Last edited by jundo : 05-10-09 at 03:46 AM.
05-10-09, 05:15 AM   #2
DJP
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
try this:
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...azScrooge.html

While it hasn't been updated in a while, still works great

Configuration done via the AddOns menu, so you can keep the LDB display hidden if you wish.
05-10-09, 06:21 AM   #3
tattooedpierre
An Aku'mai Servant

I read over the description of the mod linked; I see how the premise of hiding the gold works.. but how would this work, say, if I go to the auction house and just try and buyout something? Would it dip into the 'hidden' reserves?
05-10-09, 07:12 AM   #4
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by jundo View Post
DepositBox is also out of date by at least a few months.
...but still works.

Have you tried it lately, or did its last-updated date sour you to the idea?

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
05-10-09, 07:59 AM   #5
DJP
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by tattooedpierre View Post
I read over the description of the mod linked; I see how the premise of hiding the gold works.. but how would this work, say, if I go to the auction house and just try and buyout something? Would it dip into the 'hidden' reserves?
No it won't.
I set mine to 100g max (to spend on repairs,reagents,flight paths, etc), save the rest.
If I don't have enough 'main' gold to cover a purchase, then the purchase fails: 'You don't have enough gold'
05-10-09, 09:29 AM   #6
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I also used Nazscrooge'd for awhile. Plain and simple, loved it. If you really had to have that shiny new toy from the AH, and didn't have the funding except by tapping your reserves, all you had to do was click the plugin and choose Withdraw Gold. Very handy feature. Sometimes just making me take that extra step gave me the time to realize why i did not need that shiny new toy, lol.

While I was running it, I did not setup a goal or minimum to keep. I decided the easiest for me was to bank roll a flat 50% income from all sources. Worked very nicely even being "outdated".
05-10-09, 12:34 PM   #7
khurzog
A Frostmaul Preserver

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...p-scorpia.aspx

looks like it was updated 5 days ago....
05-19-09, 05:59 AM   #8
jundo
A Murloc Raider
I'm using DepositBox, and it's working great. I'm just worried that like the last time I tried to use one of these mods. When I finally discover the mod the very next month blizz does a patch the nerfs it completely. I'll check out these other ones you folks are listing.
05-19-09, 06:02 AM   #9
jundo
A Murloc Raider
Wink

Originally Posted by khurzog View Post
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...p-scorpia.aspx

looks like it was updated 5 days ago....

rofl, I'm such a maroon. I didn't even notice my curse updater picked it up and updated it already. I have the recent version listed at Curse.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Saving Gold?