07-29-09, 02:37 PM   #1
Keemen
A Defias Bandit
Self Only Symbol Add-on

I am looking for a Addon that I can put on my self only (only I can see) for when in 25's heavy melee fights, I cant see where I am positioned at. Sometimes this can be deadly as you know.

1. something simple.
2. something no one else sees.

If you can help me out, I know there are other melees that would love this.

Thank you
07-29-09, 03:00 PM   #2
chumii
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
HI

do you mean something like yourself glowing, so you can see yourself easier in all that characters?
If that's what you are looking for, i dont think that it is allowed.
I would say the only way to do something like this is model exchange. Thats possible but not allowed.
e.g. there has been a mod to change druid models. Also only for yourself, but i read that everything that has to do with changing original files from Blizzard is illegal.

so.. i'm sorry, but i think you will have to open you eyes =)

greets
07-29-09, 03:02 PM   #3
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This is possible in a unitframe layout. For example, with an oUF layout, you could make some sort of overlay on the raid/party frame if the unit is you.
07-29-09, 03:03 PM   #4
Keemen
A Defias Bandit
no, i am not looking to change my form or alter my appearance. Just a symbol on top of my head.
07-29-09, 03:34 PM   #5
Starinnia
Ninja Code Monkey
Originally Posted by Keemen View Post
no, i am not looking to change my form or alter my appearance. Just a symbol on top of my head.
That would require interacting with the 3D world or some most likely impossible magic with nameplates.

Addons can't influence the 3D world. And nameplates are secure frames which means anchoring to them causes your symbol to become secure and then hiding/showing/moving becomes restricted in combat. (Also, is there even a player nameplate? I don't use them personally so I don't know)
07-29-09, 03:43 PM   #6
Verissi
Premium Member

As a Forsaken that's usually buried under a pile of Tauren DKs in my raid, I can definitely sympathise. It may be easy for some races to spot themselves in a stack of melee, but it's not as easy as "opening your eyes" when you've got a big moocow standing on top of you

Short of messing with or replacing nameplates, I'm not sure what else can be done to make your character's position be more readily identified. It may be worth looking into what some of the nameplate addons can do and if they support a way to filter friendly nameplates so that only yours shows (if not, that may be an interesting feature request, albeit limited in usefulness). I would personally start by checking Aloft since it's feature set is more extensive than the others that I have tried.

(Also, is there even a player nameplate? I don't use them personally so I don't know)
Not that I've found in my limited checking. Modifying nameplate alpha for friendlies other than yourself may be possible, though (not sure, never tried it).

Last edited by Verissi : 07-29-09 at 03:45 PM.
07-31-09, 05:35 AM   #7
Waverian
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Just going to mirror what everybody else has said to pretend I'm contributing: cannot be done.

Now more to the point - your character will always be in the middle of your screen. How can you possibly have a problem finding it? You don't have to actually see your character to know where you are in relation to everything around you.
07-31-09, 01:50 PM   #8
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
yeah, i'm kind of confused by the request. you're always in the center of the screen, so "above your head" is always going to be in pretty much the same place. just put a piece of tape on your monitor.
07-31-09, 05:36 PM   #9
speak
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

well, i dont know how to do it but i think it can be done!

we know we can show our nameplates, and we know that addons exist that customize nameplates (aloft), so i dont think it would be too terribly hard for a coder to show your own nameplate only, and then provide a customized graphic for the nameplate itself.

the customized graphics could include all the familiar raid symbols (star, circle, skull, etc.), and others too, like a red arrow, a throbbing arrow, a dancing banana and so on.

if i knew how to do this, i definitely would! it does seem like it would be useful in certain situations, especially with all the spells/graphics flying around and stuff.

good idea!
08-01-09, 12:53 AM   #10
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I'm definitely not an author, but the problem I see with your possible solution speak, is that you can't have just your own nameplate active. The options are friendly (which would show your own and everyone else's too), enemy or none at all. Hope you see what I mean.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
08-01-09, 02:33 AM   #11
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Ask the raid leader to mark you.
08-02-09, 11:48 AM   #12
Donnaterassi
An Aku'mai Servant
Arrow

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Ask the raid leader to mark you.
This is what I do, but it's occasionally frustrating to have to explain that at camera range 50 one little gold paladin in a sea of firey adds is difficult to track quickly (not so much an issue when I''m healing as my broccoli).
Healers don't see the fights, not really. We see Decursive. We see Healbot. We see Vuhdo. We see Grid. Pretty much the only time we actually get to see the fight is when we are 1) dead on the floor, or 2) desperately trying to get range on some twit that didn't get out of flame wall so we can battle rez before the next flame wall (where he will die again).
I'd like my own personal "you are here" arrow. Let me know if you find it.
08-02-09, 12:12 PM   #13
Akryn
A Firelord
This is not exactly a difficult thing to do. Create a texture that sits at (screen width / 2, screen height / 2). That's where you are. If you don't know Lua, just get kgPanels and put a panel in the middle of your screen. Although I'm really not sure why you need to know where you are. If it's to position yourself correctly just point the camera straight down, that's more accurate than a UI blob would be anyway.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Self Only Symbol Add-on