04-28-09, 01:02 PM   #1
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
Install failed yet again.

When I first got Carbonite I got it on Wowmatrix. Being a mac user it worked for me and I really did not know what was wrong with the site at the time. Anyway Carbonite was working great and when the subscription thing came up I thought it was well worth it and subscribed. Now a few updates down the road I cannot install carbonite from any installer program and for some stupid reason I have Carbonite setting in Applications/World of Warcraft/Inderface/add ons/carbonite on my hard drive taking up space but not doing a darn thing. I downloaded and installed it yesterday - waste of time. Deleted, redownloaded unzipped and reinstalled today, logged into wow and big waste.

Carbonite is in my hard drive in the correct place in the folder structure on my imac and not recognized by the game. I have NEVER been able to get any add on to be able to be recognized by the game by simply downloading, unzipping and placing it in the correct folder like everyone else.

Does this mean I am screwed and wasted my money?

04-28-09, 01:13 PM   #2
Zanthor
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
No, it means you have a bigger problem you need to address and it's not a problem with Carbonite.

Now I'll take a crack at this but I'm not a mac user, if I understand things correctly though WoW works with addons fundamentally the same was for mac's as it does for pc's.

The first thing you need to check is to ensure this is a typo:

Applications/World of Warcraft/Inderface/add ons/carbonite
Second I'd ask to ensure that you aren't just downloading the .zip file to this location. Are you actually unzipping it?

Fundamentally an addon is just another file to the mac, wow knows how to handle them if you put them in the right place. WoWFolder/Interface/Addons is the place to unzip them, now if the addon is packaged with folder structure you want to ensure there isn't another Interface/Addons folder there (WoWFolder/Interface/Addons/Interface/Addons/AddonName) or it wont work.

04-28-09, 01:44 PM   #3
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
Look carbonite is in the same interface folder Bartender 4, recount, fubar and omen are. And they all work. They all look the same have the same kind of contents. The difference is curse client. And I can't do a cut and paste of the stiring of folders.

one more time

Applications/World of Warcraft/Interface/Add Ons/Carbonite - 3.110

I am not a professional typist and I do make typos and I will not apologize for doing so. Nit picking is really not the least bit helpful.

04-28-09, 01:51 PM   #4
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by OldHarry View Post

If that is your file layout it appears wrong, namely the numbers after Carbonite. Double check how the files are organized. I replied to your other post stating this same issue here: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23010

04-28-09, 01:54 PM   #5
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
That is the file I downloaded and unzipped today. If it is wrong then where is the right one to be found? I got it from the add on download page of this web site.

04-28-09, 01:57 PM   #6
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm not saying the file is the wrong version. What I'm asking is in your file tree, do those numbers show up after Carbonite? Also, what is the direct path to CarboniteNodes?

Just trying to clear up any possible mis-communications in order to be able to better assist you with your issue.

04-28-09, 02:05 PM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by OldHarry View Post
one more time

There's your problem right there. It should be:

Applications/World of Warcraft/Interface/AddOns/Carbonite

Delete the extra stuff after the name Carbonite. Also, I notice that you have a space in the word AddOns. It shouldn't have. It's all one word.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-28-09 at 02:09 PM.

04-28-09, 02:11 PM   #8
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Just deleting the number string from the end probably wont solve his problem. They way Carbonite needs to be is like this:

CORRECT INSTALL:

applicaitons/world of warcraft/interface/addons/Carbonite
applications/world of warcraft/interface/addons/CarboniteNodes
applications/world of warcraft/interface/addons/CarboniteTransfer

OldHarry's Install by the looks:

applications/world of warcraft/interface/addons/Carbonite - 3.110/Carbonite
applications/world of warcraft/interface/addons/Carbonite - 3.110/CarboniteNodes
applications/world of warcraft/interface/addons/Carbonite - 3.110/CarboniteTransfer

That's how it appears to me at the moment.

04-28-09, 02:12 PM   #9
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
When I unzip it I get the file with the 3.110 so I did the select all of ever file in there and moved them into the Interface file. Now wow is recognizing the existence of carbonite but it does not function when the game is one. Still a big no go.

04-28-09, 02:14 PM   #10
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Just deleting the number string from the end probably wont solve his problem. They way Carbonite needs to be is like this:

CORRECT INSTALL:

applicaitons/world of warcraft/interface/addons/Carbonite
applications/world of warcraft/interface/addons/CarboniteNodes
applications/world of warcraft/interface/addons/CarboniteTransfer

OldHarry's Install by the looks:

applications/world of warcraft/interface/addons/Carbonite - 3.110/Carbonite
applications/world of warcraft/interface/addons/Carbonite - 3.110/CarboniteNodes
applications/world of warcraft/interface/addons/Carbonite - 3.110/CarboniteTransfer

That's how it appears to me at the moment.
No that is not what my intall looks like. I do not have the number behind any of the folders. I did a select all and moved every single file in the carbonite unzip folder into interface and my files look like you say they are supposed to look. But carbonite is not functioning when the game is on.

04-28-09, 02:15 PM   #11
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Post your install path. All we are doing is guessing at how it looks because you haven't given us an exact path. Give us one path, from your Application folder right through to the .toc of one of the files.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

04-28-09, 02:16 PM   #12
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Do you see it in the addons list now on the character screen?

04-28-09, 02:57 PM   #13
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
If you want screenshots, see here: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/f...all_doesntwork

WoW is very dependent on file structure for addons to work. If your install does not look like this:
Code:
Applicaitons/World of Warcraft/Interface/AddOns/Carbonite/Carbonite.toc
    ...    /     ...       /    ...     / ...  /CarboniteNodes/CarboniteNodes.toc
    ...    /     ...       /    ...     / ...  /CarboniteTransfer/CarboniteTransfer.toc
Then WoW will not see the addon.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-28-09, 09:06 PM   #14
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
Someone in another area posted a link to a little installer droplet available here that worked wonders.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...tforMacOS.html

Really solved my problem and probably will sooner or later for another mac user.

04-28-09, 09:30 PM   #15
TiaMaster
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

So, just to be clear...you never had it installed correctly.

04-28-09, 10:11 PM   #16
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by TiaMaster View Post
So, just to be clear...you never had it installed correctly.
Just to be clear the way the droplet has the folders looks exactly the same way they did when I unzipped them. Why does no one understand Leopard does not work the same way XP or Vista does in terms of file substructures. There are many things I do in Leopard I do in 1/3 the steps I did in XP. But then there are a few things that just don't work well at all - and those usually involve unzipping files designed to run primarily on windows pcs. But in answer to your response the files look EXACTLY the same as they did when I unzipped them without using the droplet. Every single add on I have ever tried to use has been the exact same way. Maybe someone who knows a bit more about Leopard than you do can explain just why that is.

04-28-09, 10:22 PM   #17
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Them being installed incorrectly may have been the fault of your extraction utility. I'm not sure which one you are using, but not all extraction utilities are created equal. There are also various ways to extract a .zip file with some utilities, making things a bit confusing or breaking folder structure. In all honesty, we may never know why it did not work for you, though, since you did not post an actual path to a .toc file or a screenshot to a .toc file in either of your threads asking for help. There is nothing special about the applet or WM or CurseClient that makes addons work.

But I am glad that you were finally able to find something that worked for you.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-29-09, 12:30 AM   #18
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The Mac instructions on the web page below were written by me after I installed Carbonite on my Macbook. The Mac install results in exactly the same folders and files in the AddOns folder as a Windows install. There was nothing special about getting it working on a Mac.

http://www.carboniteaddon.com/installation.aspx

04-29-09, 02:21 AM   #19
Songard
A Defias Bandit
Old Harry,

I am using a Late 2007 Aluminum IMac with Leopard. I always install by download and dragging the Carbonite, CarboniteNodes, and CarboniteTransfer folders into the Applications/World of Warcraft/INterface/Addons folder in Finder. My files are always automatically uncompressed for me. I use stuffit 12 for decompression and have no issues.

Hope this helps.

04-29-09, 08:45 AM   #20
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
Stuffit recently upgraded. As it seems MAC Par Deluxe does not properly unzip these files for some reason.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Install failed yet again.