05-20-10, 03:39 AM   #1
Thrae
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
RealID Privacy Concerns.

As it works right now, the new RealID system will provide:

- Your email address associated with B.Net (you must provide this so the other person can RealID Friend you).

- Your real name, first AND last. (including to Friends of Friends)

- Your in-game status anywhere on Battle.net. (including to Friends of Friends)

I have made my point here: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...468&sid=1#1535

As I hope you all will. While I feel I know some of you well enough to allow you access to this information, there's not only the real possibility that raiding guilds will require it, but also the fact that just a few small changes BEFORE it goes live (as to avoid a database programmer's nightmare) would satisfy simple common sense beyond just what's on that thread and open up RealID as a real social networking tool instead of the current, very limited way its implemented. Please don't let Blizzard make such a silly mistake!
05-20-10, 07:58 PM   #2
orionshock
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

This isn't a privacy concern, this is an issue with you wanting to remain anonymous while online. Anonymity and Privacy are not the same nor interchangeable words

Edit x 2: other ideas here where bad mojo

Last edited by orionshock : 05-20-10 at 08:03 PM.
05-20-10, 10:37 PM   #3
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Privacy:

Noun
It should show your character name. That's it and that's all. Anything else is unacceptable... I won't be using it unless I can protect my privacy.

Last edited by Petrah : 05-20-10 at 10:56 PM.
05-21-10, 01:27 AM   #4
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

One of my friends had to make a battle.NET account with as first and last name his mother's because that was needed for the creditcard billing legal issues.

Now all of his friends will see his mother's name in the real ID. Like, WTF???

Just make it so that you can set your own ID name.
05-21-10, 03:26 AM   #5
orionshock
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post

[...]

It should show your character name. That's it and that's all. Anything else is unacceptable... I won't be using it unless I can protect my privacy.

My take is quite simple, the RealID system was developed for friends IRL that play on blizzard's games. if your not friends IRL, then why would you give them your email to use on the RealID system and then authorise them to be added?

Personally, I'd prefer they keep the system setup the way it is. Force people to own up to their name and their actions. It is time to grow a pair when it comes to dealing with the Internet. The webernets is not a park ride, it's NY City. Stay out of the bad parts.
05-21-10, 04:18 AM   #6
dafire
Premium Member
The RealID system is for real friends... so I think it is fine.
05-21-10, 10:13 AM   #7
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by dafire View Post
I agree with this.

I also think it should be possible for my guild on Server A to contact me while playing on Server B without using RealID. This is the part that's a problem right now.
05-21-10, 12:57 PM   #8
Landrell
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

They could learn something from NCSoft and how they made their tools for people to contact one another through other games from the same company.

Fear my Aim, for it be True, Swfit, and Deadly!
05-21-10, 01:00 PM   #9
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
what if your "real friend" has poor judgment?

i think having your real name shared with friends of friends is a bad idea.

i also think you should be able to exclude some toons/games if you want. just because somebody is my friend doesn't mean i want them to know my every move. (assuming that you get a status message for your friends indicating what they're doing).

and really, why use your real name exactly? having your full name is something you do for people who DON'T know you. people who DO know you probably know your toons' names or whatever other handles you use.
05-21-10, 01:30 PM   #10
dafire
Premium Member
When they include it in more future games like d3, sc2 and other games I don't think I'll know every toon in all games of my friends
05-21-10, 04:18 PM   #11
Dawn
A Molten Giant

I liked the idea of being able to communicate "cross game", but the implementation is just poor. I have a simple rule, my RL is private. I leave it behind me, the moment I log in/start a game. The way they implement this feature will make me simply not use it. Besides of my personal opinion, it's also not necessary at all to implement it the way they do. They could EASILY generate some number ID that would keep everything private, but still identifies everyone exactly. I really don't know why they are not doing it like that...

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

05-21-10, 04:39 PM   #12
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by orionshock View Post
My take is quite simple, the RealID system was developed for friends IRL that play on blizzard's games. if your not friends IRL, then why would you give them your email to use on the RealID system and then authorise them to be added?

Personally, I'd prefer they keep the system setup the way it is. Force people to own up to their name and their actions. It is time to grow a pair when it comes to dealing with the Internet. The webernets is not a park ride, it's NY City. Stay out of the bad parts.
Force people to own up to their name and their actions? LOL

Some of us have been around since the BBS days, and we're quite grown up and know very well how to "stay out of the bad parts". It's why we're complaining about the way Blizz is doing this to begin with!

If EQ could do it with the messenger system they had (where the only info anyone ever got was your in game character name), then so can Blizzard. This is a bad, bad move on Blizzards part.

Until they change this so we can have privacy, I won't be getting involved with it.

Last edited by Petrah : 05-21-10 at 04:41 PM.
05-21-10, 09:33 PM   #13
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

you're only worried about being anonymous if you have something to hide.
what can they do with your name? squat.
i can understand the email part because of hackers. my email is linked to everything i use so that would be a bad thing for me if i was ever hacked [:
as it is now, it is not required to use real id, so its your choice.
05-21-10, 10:24 PM   #14
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by mankeluvsit View Post
i can understand the email part because of hackers. my email is linked to everything i use so that would be a bad thing for me if i was ever hacked [:
Wow.

blahblahblahblahblahlblahlimit
05-21-10, 10:29 PM   #15
datahedron
A Murloc Raider
It would appear you have never been hacked or cyberstalked. Anyone who knows your first and last name, and that you play WoW, and one, maybe two more details, can acquire a MASSIVE amount of other information on you. The way it's implemented right now, too much is being put out in the public domain without any control. Why prevent us from simply having a bank alt that doesn't show up? (I hate logging on before work to check my AH toon, and being bombarded with requests to come tank such and such an instance. Makes me feel guilty when I have to turn down my friends, so I usually keep my AH toon name to myself..)
Besides, you need your FULL BNET email to "friend" anyone, and that's half of the base login info for your account. With Blizz being so concerned about account privacy, why the heck would they use this? It would be much simpler, and safer, to simply use a BNET alias instead. Even with an authenticator, I'm not giving out my email to anyone...

Originally Posted by dafire View Post
However, the system as currently advertised does not allow for the very real possiblity that your RL friends have poor judgement. The "Friends of Friends" system is totally unneeded. Besides, my RL friends can already contact me via phone, email, text, FB, or YIM. Why make another system that does the same thing?
05-21-10, 11:13 PM   #16
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by datahedron View Post
It would appear you have never been hacked or cyberstalked. Anyone who knows your first and last name, and that you play WoW, and one, maybe two more details, can acquire a MASSIVE amount of other information on you. The way it's implemented right now, too much is being put out in the public domain without any control. Why prevent us from simply having a bank alt that doesn't show up? (I hate logging on before work to check my AH toon, and being bombarded with requests to come tank such and such an instance. Makes me feel guilty when I have to turn down my friends, so I usually keep my AH toon name to myself..)
Besides, you need your FULL BNET email to "friend" anyone, and that's half of the base login info for your account. With Blizz being so concerned about account privacy, why the heck would they use this? It would be much simpler, and safer, to simply use a BNET alias instead. Even with an authenticator, I'm not giving out my email to anyone...

However, the system as currently advertised does not allow for the very real possiblity that your RL friends have poor judgement. The "Friends of Friends" system is totally unneeded. Besides, my RL friends can already contact me via phone, email, text, FB, or YIM. Why make another system that does the same thing?

i've been hacked and cyberstalked, i didnt care that much, it just goes to show take the proper precautions if you dont want it to happen.
again, you're not being forced to use it, leave it at that.
05-22-10, 01:17 AM   #17
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

i've been hacked and cyberstalked, i didnt care that much<snip>

Key word here is "I". Leave it at that.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
05-22-10, 01:39 AM   #18
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Key word here is "I". Leave it at that.
This.

blahblahblahlimitblahblahblah
05-22-10, 10:45 AM   #19
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by datahedron View Post
Your b.net email address is only used once during the friending process. Once it's used to connect you as Real ID friends then it isn't displayed again anywhere in game , in your friends RealID interface or in your friend's friends RealID interface.

I do believe the whole process is done via internal battle.net account numbers.

I was having problems getting on the PTR so I asked Shefki for help as he was able to get on the PTR fine and he uses a mac as well. When he logged in under my battle.net account he told me that new folders now appear in the WTF folder in the accounts folder. He said he had a 5 digit number folder in there and I had a 7 digit number folder in there.

So I think this would mean that if you are "forced" to give out your b.net email address to someone you don't consider a friend you could always change your b.net email address and they should still stay on your RealID friends list.

It's a good security practice to change your battle.net email regularly anyway - it's easy , takes no more then 10 minutes and changes the login name for your wow account instantly
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
05-22-10, 11:18 AM   #20
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
Your b.net email address is only used once during the friending process. Once it's used to connect you as Real ID friends then it isn't displayed again anywhere in game , in your friends RealID interface or in your friend's friends RealID interface.

I do believe the whole process is done via internal battle.net account numbers.

I was having problems getting on the PTR so I asked Shefki for help as he was able to get on the PTR fine and he uses a mac as well. When he logged in under my battle.net account he told me that new folders now appear in the WTF folder in the accounts folder. He said he had a 5 digit number folder in there and I had a 7 digit number folder in there.

So I think this would mean that if you are "forced" to give out your b.net email address to someone you don't consider a friend you could always change your b.net email address and they should still stay on your RealID friends list.

It's a good security practice to change your battle.net email regularly anyway - it's easy , takes no more then 10 minutes and changes the login name for your wow account instantly
Just checked myself in the test server folder and yep. I have a 9 digit folder in there.

EG.
Code:
WoW
|___ WTF
     |__ 123456789#1
     |__ WoWAccountName

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » RealID Privacy Concerns.