12-27-11, 10:28 PM   #1
ksekt777
A Defias Bandit
A totally new idea! Lyrics Master

I'm not joking. I love my music and I'm sure lots of people do. Sometimes I wish I could see the lyrics of my favourite songs while playing WoW. So I thought it might be possible that one could make an addon that shows the lyrics for music you are listening to. I dunno if this is a potential idea. It probably sounds crazy. I don't have any modding experience or skills so I'm hoping someone out there might wanna make this mod? Let me know if there any of you are interested. We can discuss each others ideas.

12-27-11, 11:11 PM   #2
OmegaExtreme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

if it is possible it would be a HUGE undertaking as you would have to have write out the lyrics for each and everysingle song you have
12-27-11, 11:19 PM   #3
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Due to the insane amount of work involved, you're really better off either alt tabbing to look at the lyrics, or getting your hands on an additional monitor.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
12-27-11, 11:23 PM   #4
OmegaExtreme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

i wonder if you could get a overlay program that could do it?
12-28-11, 12:15 AM   #5
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Well, there was PlayXPert, but that's dead these days. =\

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
12-28-11, 12:25 AM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
The only way that this would be possible would be if A) this addon was also used to play the music files (meaning your music would also need to be in the WoW directory) and B) you stored all of the lyrics within the addon itself.

As noted, a HUGE undertaking that would have a large database of lyrics and songs.

Again, this is the only way possible as WoW cannot communicate with the outside world - it can't connect to your music player application and it can't connect to the internet to get lyrics.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-28-11, 12:31 AM   #7
OmegaExtreme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

or if there was some sort of Lyric Overlay program that could work with WMP/iTunes/WinAMP. kinda like the overlay option built in Ventrilo
12-28-11, 12:55 AM   #8
Verttex
Super Monkey

You could use WoWVid to overlay a VLC video of the lyrics while they play.
12-28-11, 02:57 PM   #9
ksekt777
A Defias Bandit
I was thinking that one could make it rather simple. The user will have to copy the lyrics from any lyrics offering websites and then paste it into the addon. Perhaps the addon could display your database of lyrics. And I think this addon will require a media player. Nothing special. Play and stop. Next, etc.
As for the lyrics part. One could really make it simple. There could be a window showing the lyrics with a next and back button. You will have to control the pages of lyrics manually in order to keep track with the lyrics but this serves the purpose of the addon good enough. I am really not good with these things but this was my overall idea of the mod.
12-28-11, 03:30 PM   #10
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by OmegaExtreme View Post
or if there was some sort of Lyric Overlay program that could work with WMP/iTunes/WinAMP. kinda like the overlay option built in Ventrilo
Don't forget to add the Sonos and the Squeezebox to that list.
12-28-11, 05:16 PM   #11
Verttex
Super Monkey

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Don't forget to add the Sonos and the Squeezebox to that list.
As we can see from your signature.

Maybe a outside executable allowing easy data entry?
12-28-11, 06:53 PM   #12
OmegaExtreme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by ksekt777 View Post
I was thinking that one could make it rather simple. The user will have to copy the lyrics from any lyrics offering websites and then paste it into the addon. Perhaps the addon could display your database of lyrics. And I think this addon will require a media player. Nothing special. Play and stop. Next, etc.
As for the lyrics part. One could really make it simple. There could be a window showing the lyrics with a next and back button. You will have to control the pages of lyrics manually in order to keep track with the lyrics but this serves the purpose of the addon good enough. I am really not good with these things but this was my overall idea of the mod.
Its funny how poeple seem to think their idea would be easy to make. Not only would your idea be rather difficult to make and get right but it would also require alot of work on the users end, they would have to maintain the list of songs AND make their own lyric packs and make sure that Song A matches Lyrics A there is so much room for error and if anyone did decide to make this addon they would be forever inboxed with requests for help.
12-28-11, 08:43 PM   #13
ksekt777
A Defias Bandit
was just wondering if any modders would take interest in the idea. i thought about it and realized there is much to handle in this mod. it would've been pretty cool i guess. if anyone is interested. take the idea as your own and make the mod. I for one will use the mod.
12-29-11, 06:36 AM   #14
Verttex
Super Monkey

Originally Posted by ksekt777 View Post
was just wondering if any modders would take interest in the idea. i thought about it and realized there is much to handle in this mod. it would've been pretty cool i guess. if anyone is interested. take the idea as your own and make the mod. I for one will use the mod.
The demand for this idea is very low and the effort to put into it is very high. Try it yourself. I might use it, if it is well coded.
12-30-11, 12:24 PM   #15
Vlad
A Molten Giant

You need not only lyrics but also to time the lyrics to the music, I really wanted a karaoke addon but that dream died a while ago, when I found out I would have to manually put lyrics and sync them to each song!

Anyway, that's for a karaoke addon, for just showing lyrics it shouldn't be hard lol. :3
12-31-11, 11:29 PM   #16
Phanx
Cat.

Hard, no. Tedious, time-consuming, and not user-friendly, yes. You would have to find, copy, paste into your addon, and format the lyrics to all of your songs, or write an external script/program to automate that process. Then you would have to either:

(a) manually select the lyrics for each song that began playing, or

(b) copy all of your music files into your addon folder, rename all of those files in a specific format (eg. "Artist Name - Album Name - Track # - Title.ext") so the addon could recognize them and display information about them (since addons can't access ID3 tags), then hardcode a list of all those files in your addon, then write even more code to reimplement a music player inside WoW.

Even if you decided all of that time and effort was worthwhile, if you wanted anyone else to be able to use the addon, you would either need to:

(a) write up instructions to walk users through the process of copying files, renaming files, and listing files inside the addon, and then dedicate endless hours to helping users who did not read or simply do not have enough experience to figure it out on their own, or

(b) write an external program that would automate the renaming and listing process.

I can't imagine that anyone who actually understands the amount of time and effort required to implement this would ever choose to do so, versus simply alt-tabbing or setting up a second monitor. Besides, if you're reading lyrics, you're probably not paying much attention to what's going on in the game anyway, so why even be in the game at that point?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » A totally new idea! Lyrics Master