10-27-08, 01:32 PM   #1
blackpandemic
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Shared Media

Hey Interfacers!

I've been having memory/critical errors from WoW since the patch and I think I've narrowed down the culprit. That culprit was SharedMedia. Released by Elkano in July (http://www.wowace.com/projects/sharedmedia/) his addon allowed me to choose from an absurd amount of fonts/borders/backgrounds.

Now we've moved onto LibSharedMedia-3.0 (http://www.wowace.com/projects/libsharedmedia-3-0/). When running, my game did recognize all the various fonts/borders/etc but my game would have critical/memory errors about 80% of the time when booting.

I did a WTF delete, and went by one by one with addons and the game errored on the first boot when I loaded up SharedMedia. Was this just a spot of bad luck or is it incompatible and hence, the bad errors? If it is no longer compatible, is there a way to get the fonts from SharedMedia into the new version so I can have my pretty fonts again?

Thanks guys/gals! Happy modding!
10-27-08, 01:40 PM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you're not using more than 4 different types of fonts, you don't even really need an addon to change them. Gonna copy/paste this info from Vranx's site.

Create four copies of the font file of your choice, place them in \World of Warcraft\Fonts folder, and rename them to the following names:
FRIZQT__.ttf (the main UI font)
ARIALN.ttf (the normal number font)
skurri.ttf (the 'huge' number font)
MORPHEUS.ttf (Mail, Quest Log font)

What I did is found one font from online that I liked, and renamed it to each of the above 4 fonts and stuck all 4 of them into that Font's folder.
10-27-08, 01:42 PM   #3
blackpandemic
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Just to clarify, this will essentially just change the 4-5 default WoW fonts available to choose from to the ones I want?

And this might solve the text issue (kind of, still would like more options) but doesn't solve the border/background texture thing. I'm just wondering if copy/pasting the stuff from the SharedMedia folder into the LibSharedMedia-3.0 folder would do anything, or if that would just break it.
10-27-08, 01:46 PM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by blackpandemic View Post
Just to clarify, this will essentially just change the 4-5 default WoW fonts available to choose from to the ones I want?

And this might solve the text issue (kind of, still would like more options) but doesn't solve the border/background texture thing. I'm just wondering if copy/pasting the stuff from the SharedMedia folder into the LibSharedMedia-3.0 folder would do anything, or if that would just break it.
In answer about the fonts... yes.

I'm not sure about the rest as I use Skinner and eePanels for backgrounds and tooltip borders. However, from what I understand, you can add dozens of tooltip borders and backgrounds if you are using kgpanels. Not sure if that's the direction you are looking to go though.
10-27-08, 02:40 PM   #5
blackpandemic
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Thanks! I didn't know I could do that with kgPanels, and I found this addon called Fontain, and custom-ly added all of my beautiful fonts!

Thanks Silenia!
10-27-08, 02:50 PM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Glad I could help!

Fontain huh? Link please?
10-27-08, 03:00 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Just to clear a few things up...

SharedMedia is the addon that stores the media and registers with with LibSharedMedia.
LibSharedMedia-3.0 is the *library* that lets various addons access that media.
I have been using SharedMedia without any errors whatsoever. And this is the first that I have heard about it causing problems.

In short...

Are you certain that SharedMedia was the cause of your problems?
What were the errors you were receiving?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-27-08, 06:12 PM   #8
blackpandemic
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Yes since I've removed it I've had no issue with crashes. The two kinds of errors were:

-Ran out of memory errors.
-Various (and very VERY random) critical errors with 0x00--- error numbers.

I haven't booted up the game enough to completely weed it out but so far since removal I've had 100% success rate. In Fontain, I've gotten all my fonts put into the game, but now am having an issue with importing the Roth border texture into kgPanels.

As for Fontain, it's very spiffy - http://www.wowace.com/projects/fontain/
10-27-08, 07:03 PM   #9
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

As for Fontain, it's very spiffy - http://www.wowace.com/projects/fontain/
Thank you for the link!!!

10-27-08, 08:42 PM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yes since I've removed it I've had no issue with crashes. The two kinds of errors were:

-Ran out of memory errors.
-Various (and very VERY random) critical errors with 0x00--- error numbers.

I haven't booted up the game enough to completely weed it out but so far since removal I've had 100% success rate.
Well, it probably has to do with an addon that was using SharedMedia or something... I see so reason why SharedMedia itself would be causing your game to crash. It should all be static memory.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-27-08, 09:09 PM   #11
blackpandemic
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Would posting my list of addons help? And is anyone good at kgPanels who might be able to figure out what I'm going wrong?

EDIT: I mean now that Fontain has all my fonts and kg lets me import my own art (if I can get help with that) I don't really need the SharedMedia addon anymore. Not sure what else it could conflict with but I found a way around

Last edited by blackpandemic : 10-27-08 at 10:23 PM.
10-28-08, 03:09 PM   #12
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I had lost track of the thread, so I hunted it down..... blackpandemic, check this thread. It might help you with kgpanels.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Shared Media