07-12-09, 01:15 PM   #1
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Performance debugging ideas?

Okay, I confess myself stumped.

I have a medium-large collection of addons (maybe 80-100 directories in addons/, but some are libraries or multipart addons like auctioneer).

My CPU's a phenom II 940, I have 4GB of memory, and my GPU's a Radeon 9800. I run under WINE. I get a pretty solid 60fps in the old world, and 20-35 in Dalaran, depending on which way I'm facing.

Here's what bugs me: Those numbers are apparently unaffected by anything I can do.

All effects at max? 60fps old world, 20-35 Dalaran.
All effects at minimum? 60fps old world, 20-35 Dalaran.
Antialiasing 4x? Same.
Antialiasing 1x? Same.
Swap in a GTX 260? Same.
Turn off all addons but a frame rate counter? Same.

So what on EARTH is happening here? If it were GPU limited, I'd expect that a higher-end video card would help. If it were CPU limited, I'd expect that turning off all addons would help.

I'm stumped. I can't figure out anything that affects this.
07-12-09, 01:35 PM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Have you toggled off V sync? If you havent, that would explain why you are capped at 60 fps.
07-12-09, 01:43 PM   #3
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Have you toggled off V sync? If you havent, that would explain why you are capped at 60 fps.
Oh, I'm expecting to be capped at 60. I set maxfps 60 on purpose.

What I can't figure out is what's limiting frame rate in Dalaran to be LESS than 60. If it were the video card, I'd think that reducing all the settings or replacing the card with one about 50% faster would have a pretty noticeable impact. If it were the CPU, I'd think that turning off all my addons would have a pretty noticeable impact. Neither has any that I can measure.
07-12-09, 01:48 PM   #4
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Ah, OK. I didn't realize you were wondering about improving fps in Dalaran.

I think it's just that Dalaran is horrible for lag and fps anyways. The only way you'd be likely to get better performance there is to be alone on the server, lol. Blizz really should have made Dala a larger area or something. I'm pretty sure what you see for fps there is average.

***EDIT***

Although I did read somewhere that WoW is more CPU intensive than GPU intensive, and there was something on another forum about selecting processor affinity for WoW on quad core's. I don't remember where I had seen that though

Last edited by Vis : 07-12-09 at 01:51 PM.
07-12-09, 01:50 PM   #5
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Ah, OK. I didn't realize you were wondering about improving fps in Dalaran.

I think it's just that Dalaran is horrible for lag and fps anyways. The only way you'd be likely to get better performance there is to be alone on the server, lol. Blizz really should have made Dala a larger area or something. I'm pretty sure what you see for fps there is average.
Yeah, I'm just wondering why. Am I actually network-bound at that point? It just seems really odd to me that my machine can't render faster, but that no amount of changing the rendering load affects how fast it renders.
07-12-09, 01:56 PM   #6
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It may also be due to Wine, but I have no experience with that, so I'm not sure.

Without V sync enabled, or setting a maxfps on my machine, I get similar numbers to yours. And that's with an addon only load of around 115-140 megs.

I'm using:

Athlon X2 6000+ (3.15 Ghz overclocked)
4 Gb Ram
Dual 9800GT Nvidia cards set to non SLI.
Win XP Pro
07-12-09, 02:26 PM   #7
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
My experience was mostly that WINE helps, except in cases where there's a driver bug somewhere -- it's apparently still pretty dodgy with ATI cards sometimes, due to a less mature driver.
07-12-09, 05:05 PM   #8
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
I pretty much experience the same thing. Constant 60 everywhere but Dalaran where it drops to 25-35.

I don't think any amount of PC horse power will fix this. It is most likely something in the game engine that is causing this FPS drop. The game can't just handle the rendering of what is being thrown at it in Dalaran. The same happened back in the day when Ironforge and Shatt where the games main hubs.
01-26-10, 05:44 PM   #9
Akryn
A Firelord
Necroing this because I have a similar issue and can't seem to fix it. I have always had to boot into Windows to raid because WoW is unplayable under wine in anything above 5man groups. Recently I've been trying to figure out why, because that's a pain to do.

Just sitting outside doing nothing in Northrend I get 25-35 FPS with bare minimum settings, where in Windows I get >60 FPS with everything maxed (except shadows). I'm 99% sure the problem is CPU usage. WoW.exe only uses one core under wine and it's constantly running at 100%, max frequency. That's ALL the time, no matter what's going on in game. I've tried setting WoW's affinity cvar to use 2 or 4, and also schedtool with no affect. I've also tried switching between D3D and OpenGL, which also has no affect at all except that under OpenGL I can't enable "hardware cursor" which makes the framerate drop even more of a problem.

Just wondering if anyone has had any success getting WoW to use at least 2 cores under wine, or any thoughts on why it would use so much CPU even just idling inside an inn somewhere with no one around.
01-26-10, 06:51 PM   #10
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Are you running the latest Beta version of Wine? Are you running the latest Linux kernel?

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
01-26-10, 07:07 PM   #11
Akryn
A Firelord
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Are you running the latest Beta version of Wine? Are you running the latest Linux kernel?
Yes and no:

$ uname -r
2.6.28-17-generic

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Performance debugging ideas?