05-31-09, 03:35 PM   #61
Jesamyn
<This Space for Rent>

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Since my divorce, this is my first build where I chose the parts and I built it myself. I'm a single mom in her mid 40's and I consider it a huge accomplishment for myself... so yes, I'm damned proud of the system I built and I wanna show it off in my sig.
Pardon my OT response, but...cheers for you!
05-31-09, 03:41 PM   #62
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Republic View Post
Programmers are right up there with accountants and perhaps tax lawyers the strangest human beings walking the planet. I'd engage you in a discussion of OS bloat and its affects on gaming performance but I have a feeling you'd take a stance I couldn't possibly understand Let's just say that I've imaged many systems with all kinds of operating systems and I have legitimate reasons for making the choices and preferences I make

I simply wouldn't install Vista on a "friend's" computer if I had other choices. Know what I mean?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Vista > XP or XP > Vista. Bloat is certainly a concern with Vista, the Areo desktop for example is uncessary, though it seems to be the way things are trending in all OSes (Compiz Fusion anyone? (Linux thing for the non-users)). What I'm trying to get across is there are valid reasons for choosing either. The quoted post essiantially says, that because I'm using Vista, I can't know what I'm doing.
The fact of the matter is, I like the way the Areo desktop looks. I also like how much prettier my games look. I don't deny that I may be losing some performance, but it's not enough that I've ever noticed the difference. I'm certainly willing to trade those (presumed) losses for the prettier graphics, and some the of nicer features. Its a cosmetic upgrade to be sure, but that isn't an ineheritenly bad thing.
Then agian, I haven't ran a computer with < 4Gb of ram in at least a year, so I'm also not your standard use case. For average users, the performace hit may be much greater than for me.
05-31-09, 03:45 PM   #63
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Ah, yes. I see what you meant now heh. Thanks for the clarification!

Single probably wasn't the best choice of words to use I guess. Divorced should of sufficed. As for your previous comment about programmers... oh yes I most certainly do agree. I'm dating a programmer and they are without a doubt very different lol.
A programmer? Dating? Can't be a real programmer then.

Or maybe that particular problem is unique to me.

Last edited by Vyper : 05-31-09 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Better image
05-31-09, 04:46 PM   #64
septor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by stormkeep View Post
subject line of OP is misleading. "Sneaks" implies the user has no way of seeing it coming. In this case, it is mentioned quite clearly on the download page as well as how to remove it. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...1-6383ba034eab.

The only way that is sneaky is if the person installing it is blind and not using any kind of text to speech. Or if the user is too mentally challenged to make sure they find out what they are installing when they do an update. I would expect a wowmatrix user to consider it as "sneaking" but not someone here on Wowinterface.
A vast majority of people just allow Windows to download updates and install them on their own which means they're getting this update without even knowing it. By vast majority I am even including a handful of people that probably browse this very forum.

Not everyone (unfortunately) look at what is getting placed on their machine. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that 90% of the people that got this and didn't want it only heard about it's existence when they read the news about it.

If Microsoft really cared about it's users they would have uploaded this "needed" extension to the Firefox Addon Database so the people (read: idiots) that wanted to get it could do it on their own accord instead of force feeding it to unknowing (read my first paragraph) people.
05-31-09, 10:04 PM   #65
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If I hadn't just (about a week ago) reinstalled Windows after upgrading to a raptor drive, I likely would not have had to do a regedit to remove this "update" to Windows. It made me (and others made me) feel like a bumbling idiot about the OS I've used since it's inception. So, anyone installing Windows gets this "update" when they update Windows if they don't filter (sorry, I am not reading through all of the updates since SP1). Call me lazy, but that is just too much to read and attempt to comprehend with the wording of those updates being what they are.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Microsoft sneaks Firefox add-on without user knowledge