07-08-11, 01:39 PM   #1
Resa1983
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Suspected Bad ad

Greetings!

I'm pretty sure I got a bad ad on the mmoui minion.

Was in my gmail, and opened mmoui minion in the background. The program itself opened behind firefox, and then up popped a request to install an adobe product. I hit 'Don't Install'. I flipped back to MMOUI Minion, and see that its ad hadn't loaded.

Right-clicking the advertisement, gave this url:
http://s.wowinterface.com/code/300x250-patcher.html

Unfortunately I did NOT see the ad in question which tried to push this to me.

Java, Flash & Adobe are all fully updated per Secunia scans.
Full malwarebytes & MSE scans were done overnight Monday, and the system was clean.

No TDL/TDSS rootkit to hide any malware from mbam, as wow's not crashing, let alone to any of the known TDL/TDSS rootkit crash addresses.

Doing another mbam scan now, but I don't think it'll find anything.
07-08-11, 07:51 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Blearg. If you see it again, please try to note what it was advertising for, so we can inform our Ad Dept that it's a problem ad and they need to remove it.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
07-08-11, 07:54 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
dolby may have guessed your issue in IRC - not sure if you caught that when he replied to you.

Was it asking you to install Flash? (Do you have Flash installed on your computer?) He said that it should know if you already have Flash installed, and only show you Flash-based ads if you do so as not to make you install it. This may explain why the ad did not load.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-09-11, 07:45 AM   #4
Resa1983
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yeah, I caught what Dolby said. I had a TV repair person here to fix an ongoing problem, who pulled my connection before I was ready for him to, which is why I disappeared. >.<

Flash IS installed, and I knew it was fully up to date due to general maintenance Monday evening.

Which is why I clicked "Do not Install" because I knew that it couldn't be a real installer.

I even confirmed afterwards that everything was fully up to date via Secunia's scan.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Suspected Bad ad