06-13-13, 08:21 AM   #1
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Windows 8 KB2821895 / KB2845533 heads up

For anyone who's running Windows 8 and didn't yet install Wednesday's updates, be careful: KB2821895 has been reported by some to corrupt system files and causes the System File Checker to hang. This has been reported to Microsoft. KB2845533 on the other hand appears to remove the option that lets you decide whether or not a password is required on startup (Win+R -> netplwiz). It's not clear whether this is intended.
06-13-13, 08:31 AM   #2
Kkthnx
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
For anyone who's running Windows 8 and didn't yet install Wednesday's updates, be careful: KB2821895 has been reported by some to corrupt system files and causes the System File Checker to hang. This has been reported to Microsoft. KB2845533 on the other hand appears to remove the option that lets you decide whether or not a password is required on startup (Win+R -> netplwiz). It's not clear whether this is intended.
Thanks, I updated and I am running smooth still. They just need to release windows 8.1 aka windows blue. bringing back that start menu
06-13-13, 09:38 AM   #3
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Kkthnxbye™ View Post
Thanks, I updated and I am running smooth still. They just need to release windows 8.1 aka windows blue. bringing back that start menu
There are some shells and WindowBlinds that offer a start menu for windows 8~
06-13-13, 10:37 AM   #4
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

One of the free (no bundled crap either) options.
http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php
06-13-13, 10:53 AM   #5
Clamsoda
A Frostmaul Preserver
Cnet did a decent review of a lot of available options for start menus in Windows 8.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7...-in-windows-8/

That being said; I am still using Windows 7. How does everyone like Windows 8 (besides the metro start of course)?
06-13-13, 12:20 PM   #6
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
I personally run mac only, however my brother suggested using pokki. I guess it's just personal preference
06-13-13, 01:42 PM   #7
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
I just use Start8 - costs $5. But I don't need the start menu much anyways.

Marth

06-13-13, 04:22 PM   #8
10leej
A Molten Giant

Actually the start button in 8.1 takes you to the start screen, no menu
06-14-13, 09:51 AM   #9
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Hmm I'm using Windows 7 and my PC freezed 3 times since the update this week :/
Also the pc restarted while I was playing wow because that 15 min untill restart poped up in the background also I was playing in maxed window mode I did not see it.

Last edited by Tonyleila : 06-14-13 at 09:57 AM.
06-14-13, 09:57 AM   #10
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
Hmm I'm using Windows 7 and my PC freezed 3 times since the update this week :/
In the past I'd normally install updates as soon as they came out. Lately though I've been delaying them a few days just to see if any issues arise. It feels like their reliability has gone down.
06-14-13, 12:56 PM   #11
Kkthnx
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
Actually the start button in 8.1 takes you to the start screen, no menu
I obtained a leaked version I played around on and it was a normal start menu, now unless they changed it in a new build then they have no clue and are not listening to their community.. Wait they never have, anyways.. I do use start8 picked it up back in beta. Then bought the live version for 5 bucks.
06-14-13, 01:13 PM   #12
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
I should've known this would turn into a discussion about the start menu

I really don't get all the fuss about it. The new Start Screen works exactly how the start menu works when you think about it:

- You open it by clicking the bottom left corner or pressing the Windows key
- You can search just by typing (although admittedly this functionality is far too hidden in Windows 8)
- You can pin programs (apps) to it, except in Windows 8 you can have a lot more

Plus, you get live tiles, which you don't with the start menu.

My only gripe with it is that non-metro apps have ugly tiles and you need to get third-party apps to customize it. Also, we should be able to have custom live tiles somehow.
06-14-13, 03:26 PM   #13
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
I noticed the change recently with Windows 8 but not thought much about it. Getting home at 10pm almost means I pretty much don't do anything apart from eat and sleep rofl.

But in regards to how the start menu works in windows 8 I find it works simply on a larger scale, instead of a small vertical bar with drop off menus you have everything you want on the screen. The apps you use a lot, simply put on the left side of the menu, those you use the least, on the right. Simply scroll as necessary.

But thanks for the heads up on the windows key access. I didn't even think of seeing if that still worked in windows 8 haha.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Windows 8 KB2821895 / KB2845533 heads up