06-29-10, 04:06 PM   #1
elals29
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Lightbulb Recipe book like mod

I'm looking for a recipe book like mod. I like the mod and all but it uses too much memory to run. 858-860 kb, just to run a mod that color codes my recipes and can keep track of the recipes on my alts. But I'll bet there's other mods that can keep track of what recipes you have on your account like, Altoholic. There used to be another one called RecipeKnown but it's it's out-of-date and no longer works (properly).
06-29-10, 04:42 PM   #2
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by elals29 View Post
858-860 kb
Is this a troll or are you running on a computer from the 90's...?

If it "remembers" what recipies you have then it's storing data, and that data will add up to a certain amount no matter what you do.

I wouldn't be worried that it is "inefficient" unless it was a lot more than that, like for example 5-10 mb.

If you need to contact me, do so on Twitter @v6ooo

Best regards, v6.
06-29-10, 05:26 PM   #3
elals29
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

no this isn't a troll and no i don't have a pc from the 90's. >_> You didn't have to respond to my post in such an unkind way. I'm just looking for a mod that will color code my recipes and that's all. Not the whole thing like recipe book does.I run some mods that use alot of memory and I'm just trying to streamline my mods. And I wasn't asking for a mod that remembers what recipes I have.
06-29-10, 05:57 PM   #4
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Tradeskill info or TSI for short is one I know of. It may be larger than you want though.

http://www.wowace.com/addons/tradeskill-info/
06-29-10, 06:48 PM   #5
elals29
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Tradeskill info or TSI for short is one I know of. It may be larger than you want though.

http://www.wowace.com/addons/tradeskill-info/
I'll check it out. I installed it a little while ago. If i like this, it means I can stop using recipe book and Swindler Preventer. thanks.
06-29-10, 08:41 PM   #6
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

v6o was just trying to explain that you should not worry about memory usage. AddOn's memory usage is very minimal. You should only worry about it if you are running on a very low-end system (like he swayed).

Hope this helps.
06-29-10, 11:59 PM   #7
elals29
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
v6o was just trying to explain that you should not worry about memory usage. AddOn's memory usage is very minimal. You should only worry about it if you are running on a very low-end system (like he swayed).

Hope this helps.
Well the way he seemed to phrase it. it seemed kinda rude. some addons mem footprint is kinda big. I have gaming pc but my mobo and processer are 5 yrs old and when certain mods are not running my fps shoots up to 50-60 range in old world and 30+ in northrend. I have brand newish vid card too. I got it last year. I just like to see my fps be high like i know it can be.
06-30-10, 12:53 AM   #8
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

<snip>some addons mem footprint is kinda big.<snip>
That's perfectly fine for static (non-changing) memory - all those AddOns are doing is storing information for later use.

<snip>when certain mods are not running my fps shoots up to 50-60 range in old world and 30+ in northrend.<snip>
Those certain AddOns are CPU-intensive. The only time memory will effect CPU is when it's constantly being allocated and then garbage-collected. Once again - static memory usage will have zero effect.

As for your video card; WoW's game engine was written when GPUs weren't very current technology - its performance is very much tied to your CPU, so if you have AddOns that are constantly doing things or constantly allocating/freeing memory they will definitely affect your FPS.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
06-30-10, 11:19 AM   #9
elals29
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
That's perfectly fine for static (non-changing) memory - all those AddOns are doing is storing information for later use.

Those certain AddOns are CPU-intensive. The only time memory will effect CPU is when it's constantly being allocated and then garbage-collected. Once again - static memory usage will have zero effect.

As for your video card; WoW's game engine was written when GPUs weren't very current technology - its performance is very much tied to your CPU, so if you have AddOns that are constantly doing things or constantly allocating/freeing memory they will definitely affect your FPS.
yeah I know i need to update my pc. If i had a faster processor, I know my fps would be (consistently) higher. But updating a pc costs money I don't have right now :\ Some of my mods do seem to garbage dump. I use nUI and it seems to pull like 12mbs+. But it's such a nice mod or UI replacement; whatever you want to call it. I don't think i could play without it.
06-30-10, 11:56 AM   #10
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

What's sad is that I replaced a 2.2GHz quad-core CPU with a 3.1GHz dual-core CPU and gained 20FPS on average under WoW.

06-30-10, 02:05 PM   #11
elals29
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
What's sad is that I replaced a 2.2GHz quad-core CPU with a 3.1GHz dual-core CPU and gained 20FPS on average under WoW.
The only thing that doesn't pass on can you run it is my cpu. it's a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+. Recommended: Dual-core processor, such as the Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2. I really wish I could build a whole new pc. I even got all the parts picked out on new egg. lol And wow.. you'd link the quad-core would push more fps than a duel core. that's odd
06-30-10, 03:11 PM   #12
Taryble
A Molten Giant

WoW doesn't really take advantage of more than 2 cores - if I remember right, it mostly just offloads sound processing onto the 2nd core, and ignores the rest.

The only CPU statistic that really affects WoW is pure clock speed. High speed dual-cores are better than lower-speed Quad- or higher CPU's.
06-30-10, 03:27 PM   #13
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

@Taryble: That is correct - WoW only marginally uses a second core/CPU for the sound subsystem. That's actually the whole reason I "downgraded" my CPU, for the extra 900MHz to get the FPS boost.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Recipe book like mod