07-07-10, 07:37 AM   #1
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Layout advice.

Hello, below is a typical screenshot of my UI.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/8...0410192331.jpg

As you can see there's the chat frame in the bottom left, action bars at the bottom, raid frames in the bottom right, minimap and buffs in the top right, target frame between the center-bottom and player frame left of the center.

Above the target frame is what I call the 'notification area' with sFilter stuff, death knight runes, combo points, proc watch etc. Player debuffs go below the player frame.

Now there are a few problems though. I want to add some type of bossmods (DBM/DXE), but I have no idea where on the screen to place the bars. They just don't really seem to fit in anywhere without blocking the view or drawing too much attention. The same thing goes for the boss health frame - the area under the minimap is already used for the watchframe.

I also don't know where to put the party frames. They block the view too much when I put them under the player frames, and anywhere else they just seem too hard to reach or plain weirdly placed.

And combat text - currently I have heals under the player frame and damage right of the target frame, so those areas are taken as well.

--

I'm just generally looking for ideas because I'm out of inspiration. Should I put the player and target frame next to each other instead? Or do something completely different?

Any advice is well appreciated.
07-07-10, 08:02 AM   #2
Waverian
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
Now there are a few problems though. I want to add some type of bossmods (DBM/DXE), but I have no idea where on the screen to place the bars. They just don't really seem to fit in anywhere without blocking the view or drawing too much attention. The same thing goes for the boss health frame - the area under the minimap is already used for the watchframe.
I can't imagine boss mod alerts ever drawing too much attention; Their role is pretty much to draw as much attention as possible. You just need to configure them extensively to filter our unnecessary or redundant information. You should reconsider your use or position of scrolling combat text because both above and below the player frame are great positions. Above the raid frames aren't a terrible position, either - You can alternatively place the DXE health watcher above the raid frames if you choose it over DBM.

The boss frame and watch frame visibility are almost mutually exclusive to me. There's never really a situation where both need to be up, but if you want them to be then you only need to reserve a small area below the minimap and offset the watchframe appropriately.

I can't think of any solutions for party frames.

Other unrelated things I noticed: You should skin your raid center aura indicators. Your target buffs can probably use some cleaning up: They're too large, there's no vertical spacing and (this is subjective) you probably don't need to see 16 of them.
07-07-10, 08:57 AM   #3
Linoge-Fly
A Murloc Raider

DBM timer indicators can be placed on the bottom of the screen, between chat and action bars. 5-6 line indicators is good to fit that place I think
Concerning boss health bars, maybe you can place them to the top left corner.
07-07-10, 09:31 AM   #4
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Top left of the screen is empty.
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
07-07-10, 09:50 AM   #5
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Alright thanks for the advice so far. I think I'm going with DBM, small bars near the top left corner and 'huge' bars about 60 pixels under the player frame. Combat text above the player frame with heals on the left and damage on the right.

Still not sure about party frames though.
07-07-10, 08:55 PM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

For the party frames: try that big open space on the left above the chat frame. Your party frames don't have to be huge, just large enough to give you the information you need. You could even put them in the lower left corner and move your chat frame up (or a little farther right to give room) a bit.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Layout advice.