08-26-10, 02:08 PM   #1
AKcent
Premium Member

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question Looking for button customization addon

Greetings,
I'm currently looking for an addon in order to customize actionbar buttons.
I used to use rActionButtonStyler but the latest versions lack a few features (range coloring, &c.). I know there's also ButtonFacade, but its memory footprint is too big for my needs (no more than 10kb).

I haven't found any alternative to both of these addons, so I'm asking here if anyone knows if there is one.

If there isn't, I will start developing my own button customization addon, but I won't do so until I'm convinced that there is no alternative, as it would be a waste of time.

Cheers,

AKcent
08-26-10, 02:38 PM   #2
Unkn
Premium Member

What are you trying to do? Just skin them I'm assuming.

If so you can just replace the actual "button" files similar to what the AI-Art team is doing.
08-26-10, 03:07 PM   #3
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
If you're just looking for range color then nMainBar's code is quite efficient I think.

This is the code as it was used in one of Alza's UIs, I still use it today together with a modded rActionButtonStyler.

Code:
-- This function is taken from nMainBar, so all credits for it go to Neal
function ActionButton_OnUpdate(self, elapsed)
	local rangeTimer = self.rangeTimer
	if(rangeTimer) then
		rangeTimer = rangeTimer - elapsed
		if(rangeTimer<=0) then

local isInRange = false
			if(ActionHasRange(self.action) and IsActionInRange(self.action)==0) then
				_G[self:GetName().."Icon"]:SetVertexColor(0.9, 0.1, 0.1)
				isInRange = true
			end

if (self.isInRange~=isInRange) then
				self.isInRange = isInRange
				ActionButton_UpdateUsable(self)
			end
			rangeTimer = 0.2
		end
		self.rangeTimer = rangeTimer
	end
end
08-26-10, 03:34 PM   #4
sacrife
An Onyxian Warder

ractionbuttonstyler + tullarange works fine for me.

08-26-10, 05:07 PM   #5
AKcent
Premium Member

Premium Member
Thanks for all your answers

Originally Posted by sacrife View Post
ractionbuttonstyler + tullarange works fine for me.
The thing is, if you want to get back all features from older versions, you actually have to add quite a lot of addons. The last version lost quite a lot of features, among them
  • range
  • usable/unusable
  • mana (cause you can actually be out of mana sometimes)
  • update timer customization
I mentioned range coloring as an example before, but that was only an example among a number of features, which I all need.
I figured that I having only one addon managing my action bars, eases maintenance a lot.

Thus, I wish to use a single addon for all actionbar skinning related functionality, or maybe two (one for skinning, the other for conditional coloring).

@Haleth: That's actually what I did in the mean time, for all features which have been removed. The problem is that it's a mod, which means that it can break easily with future versions of rActionButtonStyler.

@Unkn: I took a look at the AI-Art team's work (AI-Art Icons) as well as Clean Icons which use the same means in order to achieve button skinning. It doesn't suit all my needs, as I seek three things:
  • Button skinning (Which, I agree, can be achieved by overriding the default WoW icons).
  • Conditional coloring (Range, usable/unusable, mana, &c.), which I mentioned earlier.
  • Minimal memory footprint

If you can actually confirm that there is no such addon, I'll start developing my own (Well actually two in fact, as skinning and coloring are two different matters).

Cheers,

--
AKcent
08-26-10, 05:11 PM   #6
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
nMainBar range colour and rABS both rely separately on default Blizzard functions, I'm 100% sure they'll never break each other.
08-26-10, 05:33 PM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by AKcent View Post
I know there's also ButtonFacade, but its memory footprint is too big for my needs (no more than 10kb).
You do know that static memory usage is almost completely meaningless, right? WoW itself will happily gobble up 4 GB of memory or more. Making a big deal out of an addon using more 10 KB of memory is pretty ridiculous in comparison.
08-26-10, 11:57 PM   #8
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by AKcent View Post
<snip>
I figured that I having only one addon managing my action bars, eases maintenance a lot.
<snip>
Unless a portion or two of the all-in-one-plus-the-kitchen-sink AddOn breaks in a future patch and its author has abandoned it. This is why many people have moved away from the monolithic Cartographer and now use Mapster (to name one) along with HandyNotes, Cromulent, TomTom, and Gathermate. Each component can easily be removed until it can be replaced without breaking the working features of the others.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
08-27-10, 02:31 AM   #9
sacrife
An Onyxian Warder

I believe neav UI also has a very small lightweight version of omni cc.
So if you want all these features in one addon just copy from all the above mentioned addons and just create 1 single addon.

08-27-10, 06:24 AM   #10
AKcent
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Unless a portion or two of the all-in-one-plus-the-kitchen-sink AddOn breaks in a future patch and its author has abandoned it. This is why many people have moved away from the monolithic Cartographer and now use Mapster (to name one) along with HandyNotes, Cromulent, TomTom, and Gathermate. Each component can easily be removed until it can be replaced without breaking the working features of the others.
I definitely get your point.
That is exactly why I was considering creating not one, monolithic addon, but two smaller, the first for skinning, the latter for coloring. Yeah, I kinda contradicted myself as I was speaking about a single addon for both tasks at the beginning, but I guess that's just the direction toward which my mind went.

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
You do know that static memory usage is almost completely meaningless, right? WoW itself will happily gobble up 4 GB of memory or more. Making a big deal out of an addon using more 10 KB of memory is pretty ridiculous in comparison.
That's not the point and I don't want this topic to fall into trolling.

Let's say you develop an instant messaging application in Windows. Should it be monolithic, have tons of features and gobble up to 2Gb of memory just because you can handle it, should it be modular and LoD, or should it be restricted to a very limited feature set? Well it's mostly a matter of personal choices.

Don't get me wrong, I think that ButtonFacade is a great addon, but unfortunately it just has tons of features I don't have any use for. If I install an addon and only use like 30% of its features, I will feel bad toward its author, as I won't be using his addon at full capacity. For me, it's a matter of respect.
My choice is to reach minimal features while trying to keep overhead as low as I can, and I know that it will be at the cost of programming speed, code legibility and ease of development (implying no toolkits, libraries nor frameworks). Not implementing a whole set of features thinking "Hey, maybe this feature would be nice although I have no use for it personally".

Your choice is different, I completely respect your point of view, but please respect mine.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your comments and feedback! Be it positive or negative, it's actually a big help regardless!

--
AKcent

Last edited by AKcent : 08-27-10 at 09:43 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Looking for button customization addon