Changing Blizzard default fonts

Hi all,

The title says pretty much all.

With some in-built constants(?) like

DAMAGE_TEXT_FONT
UNIT_NAME_FONT
NAMEPLATE_FONT
STANDARD_TEXT_FONT

I know we can switch a Blizzard defaults fonts to others, but those four lists do not cover some frames like, QuestFrame, ChatFrame and so on.
(If I remember correctly, one of those four variables did not work when I tested it early last year.
Guess it was NAMEPLATE_FONT)

So, I've manually switched their fonts with :SetFont() function which I think is absolutely stupid(?).

e.g:
Lua Code:
  1. for i=1, 5 do
  2.     local f = _G["ChatFrame" .. i];
  4.     if f then
  5.         f:SetFont(font, size, flags);
  6.     end
  7. end
Please note that reference to the frame might be wrong, but this is basically how I've done.

I'm asking this as I'm trying to avoid using Fonts folder which we can make on top path of WoW.

Would there be any simpler tricks to achieve this?

Thank you always!

Last edited by Layback_ : 02-15-17 at 08:32 PM.
02-15-17, 09:58 PM   #2
Tosaido
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It's best to tackle the font object itself, rather then each font frame.

this is code from an addon update i have yet to release. It contains, if i'm not mistaken, all the font objects in the game (they can be found in Interface/FrameXML/Fonts.xml and Interface/SharedXML/SharedFonts.xml)

Lua Code:
  1. local function Init_Fonts()
  2.     local newFont = "My custom font path"
  4.     STANDARD_TEXT_FONT          = newFont
  5.     UNIT_NAME_FONT              = newFont
  6.     DAMAGE_TEXT_FONT            = newFont
  7.     NAMEPLATE_FONT              = newFont
  8.     NAMEPLATE_SPELLCAST_FONT    = newFont
  10.     local ForcedFontSize = {10, 14, 20, 64, 64}
  12.     local BlizFontObjects = {
  14.         -- Fonts.xml
  16.         -- These five fonts use the fixedSize argument, causing an incorrent font size return, so input our own sizes (ForcedFontSize)
  17.         SystemFont_NamePlateCastBar, SystemFont_NamePlateFixed, SystemFont_LargeNamePlateFixed, SystemFont_World, SystemFont_World_ThickOutline,
  19.         SystemFont_Outline_Small, SystemFont_Outline, SystemFont_InverseShadow_Small, SystemFont_Med2, SystemFont_Med3, SystemFont_Shadow_Med3,
  20.         SystemFont_Huge1, SystemFont_Huge1_Outline, SystemFont_OutlineThick_Huge2, SystemFont_OutlineThick_Huge4, SystemFont_OutlineThick_WTF,
  21.         NumberFont_GameNormal, NumberFont_Shadow_Small, NumberFont_OutlineThick_Mono_Small, NumberFont_Shadow_Med, NumberFont_Normal_Med,
  22.         NumberFont_Outline_Med, NumberFont_Outline_Large, NumberFont_Outline_Huge, Fancy22Font, QuestFont_Huge, QuestFont_Outline_Huge,
  23.         QuestFont_Super_Huge, QuestFont_Super_Huge_Outline, SplashHeaderFont, Game11Font, Game12Font, Game13Font, Game13FontShadow,
  24.         Game15Font, Game18Font, Game20Font, Game24Font, Game27Font, Game30Font, Game32Font, Game36Font, Game48Font, Game48FontShadow,
  25.         Game60Font, Game72Font, Game11Font_o1, Game12Font_o1, Game13Font_o1, Game15Font_o1, QuestFont_Enormous, DestinyFontLarge,
  26.         CoreAbilityFont, DestinyFontHuge, QuestFont_Shadow_Small, MailFont_Large, SpellFont_Small, InvoiceFont_Med, InvoiceFont_Small,
  27.         Tooltip_Med, Tooltip_Small, AchievementFont_Small, ReputationDetailFont, FriendsFont_Normal, FriendsFont_Small, FriendsFont_Large,
  28.         FriendsFont_UserText, GameFont_Gigantic, ChatBubbleFont, Fancy16Font, Fancy18Font, Fancy20Font, Fancy24Font, Fancy27Font, Fancy30Font,
  29.         Fancy32Font, Fancy48Font, SystemFont_NamePlate, SystemFont_LargeNamePlate,
  31.         -- SharedFonts.xml
  33.         SystemFont_Tiny2, SystemFont_Tiny, SystemFont_Shadow_Small, SystemFont_Small, SystemFont_Small2, SystemFont_Shadow_Small2, SystemFont_Shadow_Med1_Outline,
  34.         SystemFont_Shadow_Med1, QuestFont_Large, SystemFont_Large, SystemFont_Shadow_Large_Outline, SystemFont_Shadow_Med2, SystemFont_Shadow_Large,
  35.         SystemFont_Shadow_Large2, SystemFont_Shadow_Huge1, SystemFont_Huge2, SystemFont_Shadow_Huge2, SystemFont_Shadow_Huge3, SystemFont_Shadow_Outline_Huge3,
  36.         SystemFont_Shadow_Outline_Huge2, SystemFont_Med1, SystemFont_WTF2, SystemFont_Outline_WTF2,
  37.         GameTooltipHeader, System_IME,
  38.     }
  40.     for i, FontObject in pairs(BlizFontObjects) do
  41.         local _, oldSize, oldStyle  = FontObject:GetFont()
  42.         FontObject:SetFont(newFont, ForcedFontSize[i] or oldSize, oldStyle)
  43.     end
  45.     BlizFontObjects = nil
  46. end
02-15-17, 10:05 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You can also just manually override the font files by placing your desired font (renamed to the default file names) in a Fonts folder in the WoW directory.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-15-17, 10:10 PM   #4
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
Hi Tosaido,

Thank you SO SO SO and SO MUCH!!!!!!!

God!!! That's exactly what I have been looking for!!
02-15-17, 10:12 PM   #5
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
You can also just manually override the font files by placing your desired font (renamed to the default file names) in a Fonts folder in the WoW directory.
Hi Seerah,

Thank you for your reply!

Yeah, I am aware of that method as I have stated on my OP
(Sorry, if my words did not make sense )

But, I am willing to avoid that approach haha!
02-16-17, 12:05 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Your OP did not give me any inclination that you knew what the manual override method is. There are 5 font files to replace. You can read about it here: http://vranx.com/font.htm
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-16-17, 01:25 PM   #7
Kkthnx
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Your OP did not give me any inclination that you knew what the manual override method is. There are 5 font files to replace. You can read about it here: http://vranx.com/font.htm
Originally Posted by Layback_ View Post
I'm asking this as I'm trying to avoid using Fonts folder which we can make on top path of WoW.
This is where he referred to it.
02-16-17, 03:50 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Ah... Apparently I totally skipped over that.

02-16-17, 04:48 PM   #9
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
haha! all good!!

Thanks again

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Changing Blizzard default fonts