07-06-13, 02:13 PM   #1
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
LF testers for my new add-on

Download Raidbot here

Summary: This is an add-on that lets you send automatic messages to raid members when specific raid events occur. For example, you can set it so that on Megaera's first Rampage it whispers "use tranq!" to the druid and "use spirit link totem!" to the shaman.
You open it by typing "/raidbot" once you're in a raid group.
I left in the debug messages for start of combat, end of combat, and each event it currently detects.

Long version: I wrote this other thing some time ago, and people told me what they really wanted was something less static, that responded to actual boss events. It took me a lot of time to come up with a design that would give this amount of flexibility but still be usable, and this is my first beta version. I've tested it a bit on Lei Shen, plus a bunch of porcupines in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, and the general systems seem to work, but I need to get it tested on other people's computers and raids as well.
Currently it only contains half the ToT bosses, and some of them have no events anyway, but you can set up custom messages that you send by pressing a button (you'll see it) whenever you want, so you can set, for example, a rotation of major healing cooldowns that you call for by pressing one of these buttons.
The best examples I have for places where you might want to use this are Megaera's Rampages, and Lei Shen's transitions (make sure everybody remembers where to go).
The little raider frames can be moved around, to help you plan positions and such more visually. They can be put back in their original grid by pressing the Default button.
I don't think the Clear button works at the moment, but next version will have both Clear Event and Clear Boss buttons (which will work!).
Messages can be either typed manually by pressing the little note button that appears when you mouse over a raider's note, or dragged and dropped between raider frames.
You can load a list of messages you've previously used on each specific boss/ event. You can then press Load All to load all of the messages to the original raiders (if they're in the raid), or you can drag each of them separately to any existing raider.
Once you've set up the messages you can press Preview to send all the messages from this boss to the relevant raiders. For example, on Lei Shen that would tell everyone what side to go on for each transition.

What I need: Feedback about the interface. Is it convenient? Can you use it quickly and easily? Is it obvious?
Does the mechanism seem ok? Is that convenient? I've been told that a whisper is not the best way to get info, so a next version will allow it to display the whispers in big text somewhere (assuming the recipient has it installed as well), but for now there are whispers and a raid warning.
Does it seem to detect events like it should? Does it detect the correct boss fight? (I don't expect any of it to work on non-English clients at the moment)
Does it slow your computer down? It didn't seem to do anything to mine, but you never know...
Are there any other events that you would want automatic messages for but the add-on doesn't support yet?
And, of course, what other bugs are there that I haven't noticed?

Tons of thanks in advance to anyone who agrees to help on this

Last edited by Malsomnus : 07-09-13 at 04:46 AM.
07-06-13, 02:56 PM   #2
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Woah, I suck -.-
The file on the original post seems to have a bunch of pretty horrible bugs, I have no idea where they suddenly came from, but here's a better version...

zip removed, please submit properly ~ Cairenn

Last edited by Cairenn : 07-06-13 at 02:58 PM.
07-08-13, 04:15 AM   #3
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Post the addon in the beta category and link us here.
07-08-13, 11:23 AM   #4
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Bloody hell, I've been here for months and I didn't even know there was a beta category...
I hope my programming isn't as stupid as what I seem to be doing all around it :P

Look, I submitted it properly!

Last edited by Malsomnus : 07-08-13 at 11:38 AM.
07-08-13, 11:50 AM   #5
Rakuen
A Defias Bandit

I will be testing your addon this week with my raid, this is definitely a must-have addon for any raid/healing lead! I'll let you know how it goes!
07-08-13, 09:15 PM   #6
Unkn
Premium Member

Rakuen that is just what I was thinking.
I'm tired of macros and keeping them up.

Question for Malsomnus though.

Can we print out assignments in some concise way to the raid as a whole?

Say for example on Lei Shin - I have healers assigned in to certain sections along with specific groups.
Could I print out the condensed version to raid chat? So it says something like Group 1 Plus HealerNameHere on Square... I do have a macro I currently use for this but if I could assign it in Raidminder and then print out the overview to raid chat it would save me having to update macros and whatnot.

Even more fun if you can get it to organize raid groups for me - as in a save raid setup or something of that nature. I don't even know if that is possible. I'm constantly shuffling our raid around in our 5 groups depending on fight.

Okay I'm done. I'm going to try what you currently have and probablly fall in love. Thanks

Edit after playing with it:
COOL!

Question. Can it save per boss? Or at least per character - having to retype it out if dc occurs or needing to reload UI could be a pain.
Edit: I know this is planned feature

1. Could the notes be longer? Example - "Revival Door 2 & Dire Call 11" doesnt fit
2. Could we lock note per character? Say there is a healer assignment you don't want messed with or dragged to another character - a lock feature would be handy.
3. When you get it to save - could we possibley edit names of characters so that we can sub in and out people without having to drag all the assignments around?
4. Can we get a report to player option? So if for some reason its not installed for a raid member we can still whisper them the notes? Maybe make their frame in config red instead of just having the big symbol in it?
5. KEEP GOING! This looks extremely promising and myself (I'm our heal lead) & our raid leader are looking forward to your progression with this addon. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Noticed on the comments on the addon page that you have gotten comments about making it respond to in game events. You might could hook it into dbm/bigwigs but might even do something as simple as making the frame flash when combat is entered so its noticed incase people derp. Let's face it people derp a lot

Last edited by Unkn : 07-08-13 at 09:50 PM.
07-09-13, 04:41 AM   #7
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Thanks for the detailed feedback, Unkn, but I'm starting to suspect that you downloaded the old Raidminder instead of the new-and-exciting Raidbot which is what this thread was meant to be about ^^

However, regarding your feedback:
1. Frankly, I believe that the notes should be short, because many people dislike reading too much, doubly so in the middle of combat. But if users want, I have no problem with changing it :P
2. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "lock".
3. Seems like a legit idea!
4. This is possible, yes, but... Raidbot kinda covers that :P
5. I sort of abandoned this one in favor of Raidbot... but honestly if people use it and show interest and ask for improvements, I will gladly maintain both.

But seriously, Raidbot ^^
07-09-13, 05:17 PM   #8
Unkn
Premium Member

Oh Raidbot is like improved version of Raidminder. I'm playing with it now. Wonder how I got raidminder instead. Strange. I just clicked a link from this thread. No matter more feedback to come!
Response to previous feedback - I get the short notes. I'll concede that What I mean by lock is making a note uneditable by anyone else. So it doesn't get drug to another frame, edited or what not. For instance, assigned a healer to use cd on boss ability 1 but someone changing it so crap now we don't have the cd now. If there was a lock feature that couldn't happen.

1. Does it still show per person message window like Raidminder did? That was very useful in our eyes - for accountability sake. This is also way more visible than chat messages during a fight since so much stuff happens in chat from DBM/bigwig/fatality/stupidmacro type things. The mass send/preview is awesome for start of fight or during strat adjustment to remind everyone of assignments but I doubt that mid fight it would be visible. You might just refresh or flash the individual display windows of raiders instead of sending everyone whispers for preview. I'm trying to think of a good way to draw attention.
2. Might just check out DBM for boss event relevant stuff.
3. Shorten the whisper to people - ie instead of saying "Custom Message 1: INSERT MESSAGE HERE" just have it say "INSERT MESSAGE HERE" or make it shorter. The name of the feild is taking up a ton of room.

Again I say. Looks very very promising. Keep up the good work.

I think the hardest part is going to be keeping up with raid bosses and getting it out in timely manner should you keep with the on event part of it. Everything looks great with most of the features that I felt were needed from raidminder. Personally I'd rather just have a per boss list of notes to send people's little display. But I totally get the onevent hook and it looks like it will be very useful for raid warnings or reminding our less that stellar people to concentrate or focus fire somewhere.

Last edited by Unkn : 07-09-13 at 05:42 PM.
07-09-13, 05:23 PM   #9
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
That's ok, I know how you got to Raidminder instead... I can't even express just how stupid I feel after all the idiotic things I did in this thread.
Anyway personally I still believe Raidminder is a useful tool, if only I knew who keeps downloading it all the time and if they told me what other features they want! ^^
07-10-13, 08:15 PM   #10
Unkn
Premium Member

Well I posting for the 4 people in my guild i got to guinea pig it with me as well as another friend that raid leads. So my feedback is from 5 people people. Though I didn't post the strange one about ponies - that friend is a bit off his rocker.
07-11-13, 02:15 AM   #11
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Hurray, more feedback! Thanks

Well, in Raidminder there is no reason to lock things because why would anyone else change the notes? Only raid leader/ assistants can do that, and you probably shouldn't give assist to people who would mess up that stuff.

Raidbot doesn't have a permanent window (though it's an idea), but I do plan to change it a bit so that if you receive a Raidbot message and you have the add-on installed, it will display it somewhere in big clear letters, a bit like a customized raid warning.

DBM has everything on every boss, but that won't tell me what actual events actual people would want to send customized messages on. I mean, sure, I can detect when Ji-Kun casts Feed Young, but would anyone really have anything to say to his raiders when that happens? I wouldn't want to clutter the add-on with every possible event.

Actually the plan was to allow you to change the name of the custom whispers... I can see how at the moment that's a waste of space. For event whispers, however, I think the event name is necessary - you might give a person two conflicing assignments at different points (go to red on first transition, go to purple on second transition).

You're pretty right about the hardest part, I'm not sure how I'll be able to collect data for heroic SoO yet... and I guess the normal version won't be ready by the time I reached these bosses either, unless some really heroic people help me out.

It's quite alright if you prefer Raidminder I'm pretty sure I would too. If your guild ends up deciding to use it on a regular basis, let me know what other features I can add for you.
07-11-13, 08:01 PM   #12
Unkn
Premium Member

If Raidbot had a perma window on each person's screen, we'd already be using it.

And if it had all the current bosses. I have no issue writing parts of it myself actually. You've done a wonderful job I wouldn't wanna mess with what you've got.

And maybe thats the route you go. Just add the bosses. Every guild/raid is a little different. Be easier for you I would think.
07-12-13, 04:46 AM   #13
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
I'm going to try to add the rest of the bosses today and hopefully get out a version with a permanent display and a more visible message by next reset. Thanks for all the feedback

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Alpha/Beta AddOns and Compilations » LF testers for my new add-on