05-22-13, 07:29 AM   #1
reative_pl
A Murloc Raider

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
New way to show text from QuestFrame... Need help for my project.

Hi,

Sorry for my english is not my native language... But i try

Some times ago i started work on new chat frame for WoW, here is my project:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...uestFrame.html

I need your help.

I want hide quest frame, and make bubble for quest giver with quest text, and bubble for player with "Accept" or "Not Accept" i have plan how to do this with WeakAura, but i need questframe text all in chat window when player click on npc, the i make trigger, and WA see in chat quest text and send him to my bubbles. But i don't know how to make this. Or you maybe have better idea for this? I know how to hide quest frame (easy), but i need different way for quest text show. Like this:

Regards
05-23-13, 02:35 AM   #2
Kaitain1977
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Hello,

Unfortunately I'm not sure I can help as much as you think. I have absolutely no knowledge of coding/lua beyond basic tinkering with other people's work. I also have quite limited time, I tend to get involved in a lot of different projects in different areas and then not have time to do all of them :-)

What I can do is offer some thoughts and ideas that might be helpful.

No matter what your final solution for changing the quest frame is, it might be worth going for square-ish speech bubbles. Reason being, making text boxes wrap the lines to fit in round spaces is very hard unless you have specific tools for it. You don't see text like that anywhere else in WoW so I assume there is no facility for it.

One thing you will most likely have to do is find a way to get weakAuras to detect what race and gender the player and the quest giver is, so that you can make separate models for them. This is so you can get goblins placed and scaled as nicely as ogres. For the player model this should be pretty simple, get someone on MMO forums to write a trigger script for you. For the NPCs it might be harder. I'd say the priority is the player model.

I'm not sure but I think you might have a problem "rebuilding" the quest frame from scratch, I think it might be better to find some way of breaking the quest frame apart, relocating the text to one side and the buttons to another.

Sorry i can't help more, but there are some thoughts anyways.

good luck! :-)
05-23-13, 01:44 PM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Look at the code for the default UI to see which functions it calls to get the text, and which functions it calls when you click the buttons. GossipFrame.lua and GossipFrame.xml will be of the most interest. You can just call the same functions yourself in your addon.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » New way to show text from QuestFrame... Need help for my project.