08-26-06, 10:20 AM   #21
Tigon
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Wylder
An excellent addon, thank you very much. I've already replaced two other chatmods I was using for their mix of features. The one thing I really miss is the shortened channelnames ([LookingForGroup] becomes [LFG], [Guild] becomes [G], etc...). It's especially important for me to have that when using timestamp, or my chat scrolls way too much.

whoops, though of one more.... I'd also like to see "Target" and "Copy Name" added to the Namelink Menu. It's nice to be able to copy someone's name to the clipboard or chat edit box if they have nonalphabetic characters in their name.
The shortened Channel Names will be in Version 0.4 =P I'm keeping v0.3.x for Tell Messenger things only. I'm doing that because /tells are a big part of the communication in this game so I don't want to see a bug service and have it break the tells for people using my addon =P

In the same version I'll add the "Target" and "Copy Name" to the NameLInk menu =P
08-26-06, 11:25 AM   #22
Wylder
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Tigon
The shortened Channel Names will be in Version 0.4 =P I'm keeping v0.3.x for Tell Messenger things only. I'm doing that because /tells are a big part of the communication in this game so I don't want to see a bug service and have it break the tells for people using my addon =P

In the same version I'll add the "Target" and "Copy Name" to the NameLInk menu =P
Very pro, thank you. I've also noticed that all my incomng and outgoing tells are multiplied by three in the messenger window. Not sure if this could be an addon conflict or not. I'm going to do some more digging, but just thought I'd give you a heads up.
08-26-06, 11:39 AM   #23
Tigon
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Wylder
Very pro, thank you. I've also noticed that all my incomng and outgoing tells are multiplied by three in the messenger window. Not sure if this could be an addon conflict or not. I'm going to do some more digging, but just thought I'd give you a heads up.
My guess, and it's just a guess, is that it's an addon conflict. I hook into the ChatFrame_OnEvent function, another one of your addons might be sending and hiding tells on its own, but because I hook into the event first it never really gets hidden... Dunno if that makes sense, I'm really bad at explaining things =P

If you can list your addons that mess with the /tells (send/receiving stuff) I'll look into it =P
08-27-06, 03:44 AM   #24
tumetom
A Kobold Labourer
Nice Idea...

BUT!!!!!

Why do you try to create a allInOne Chat Solution?
Lots of yourfeatures are done by other Addons very well.
List of features you should not implement:
* WhoTip
* NameLink (AcePlayerMenu does this)
* TimeStamps (There are Addons that can do this better)
* Auto-Complete (Already done by "Tab")
* Class Highlighting (Already done by "TekiColors")

You realy should concentrate on the important thing, and That is your InstantMessenger.

Thing that could be better:
* Tabs instead of that conversation button for multiple conversations.
* Tab highlighting on new Messenges
* Sound in Incomming messenges
* Toggle to autojump to the newest message
* pressing "<enter>" should switch form you editfield to the MAIN Chat editfield
* enabling slash commands

conclusion:
* Please concentrate on the target, not on 100 thingies. <<ChatEx - TellMessenger>>
* Options should be "lod" <<ChatEx - Options>>
* Perhaps you can put all your other Ideas concerning the chat system in an extra Addon... <<ChatEx - enhanced>>

thx tumetom
08-27-06, 09:17 AM   #25
Tigon
A Fallenroot Satyr

Nice Idea...

BUT!!!!!

Why do you try to create a allInOne Chat Solution?
Lots of yourfeatures are done by other Addons very well.
List of features you should not implement:
* WhoTip
* NameLink (AcePlayerMenu does this)
* TimeStamps (There are Addons that can do this better)
* Auto-Complete (Already done by "Tab")
* Class Highlighting (Already done by "TekiColors")
There are many reasons I'm doing an all-in-one solution. For one, why load 5 different addons taking up all that extra memory when you could load only one? All those different addons that mess with your chat, they all need to hoook into the same functions. This is extra memory when just one addon does it all

You realy should concentrate on the important thing, and That is your InstantMessenger.

Thing that could be better:
* Tabs instead of that conversation button for multiple conversations.
* Tab highlighting on new Messenges
* Sound in Incomming messenges
* Toggle to autojump to the newest message
* pressing "<enter>" should switch form you editfield to the MAIN Chat editfield
* enabling slash commands
Once again, read above v0.5 will feature a complete GUI overhaul, and this is going to include the Tell Messenger. I have plans to add sounds and slash commands. As for pressing enter, what do you mean? Pressing enter will send the text to the person you're talking to. Why have it switch chat boxes every time you hit enter, that could get really annoying

As for the option to auto-jump the newest messages.. That could be another thing that would get really annoying. Imagine you're talking with BobJoe and you're in a pretty deep conversation, now JoeBob sends you a message and your conversation gets switched.. That would be really annoying if you're like me and get *A LOT* of tells =P

conclusion:
* Please concentrate on the target, not on 100 thingies. <<ChatEx - TellMessenger>>
* Perhaps you can put all your other Ideas concerning the chat system in an extra Addon... <<ChatEx - enhanced>>
- There is a reason I'm trying to shove everything into one Addon, see above
- Everything is going Load on Demand in the version 0.5 release.

Please remember that this is still a beta version. That means this is not complete and may seem a litty sloppy and bulky at times. Because it's beta I'm not really worried about finese right now. As I said, soon everything will be LoD: Triggers, Stamps & Highlighting, Tell Messenger, Auto Complete, Away Monitor. Those will be the components that will be LoD. To expand on that, I will also be creating a small "Plugin Engine" for it so I and others can quickly right other chat plugins for ChatEx =P

Last edited by Tigon : 08-27-06 at 09:36 AM. Reason: I caa speel, reely I can
08-27-06, 10:38 AM   #26
Alexzandar
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Thumbs up

*Tosses Confab out the window* excellent mod. Keep up the awesome work.
08-27-06, 11:48 PM   #27
Tigon
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Alexzandar
*Tosses Confab out the window* excellent mod. Keep up the awesome work.
Thanks muchly!! =P
08-28-06, 01:16 AM   #28
Xuerian
A Fallenroot Satyr

Wink

Originally Posted by tumetom
Nice Idea...

BUT!!!!!

[.....]

[.......]

conclusion:
There already IS a instantmessanger. It's called Chatr. It has tabs. With highlighting for tabs. (Not saying it's the best) Go check worldofwar.

As for ChatEx, I'm glad that Tigon is filling in the gaps spread out by other mods, and unifying them. So long as they're LoD - Like he's already promised multiple times - it's a great thing, since they're more likely to work together.

Keep it up, Tigon
08-28-06, 01:51 PM   #29
Tigon
A Fallenroot Satyr

Here's some new and awesome news for ya'll!

I've decided that v0.4 of ChatEx will introduce NUMEROUS changes =P After thinking long and hard, this is going to be the version I go ahead and do the whole rewrite, making it ACE compatible and all LoD. This is due to some features I want to add. Putting them in before the LoD/Ace change would just be too much work. Also, ChatEx is going to undergo a name change I'm taking a page out of Apple's book; It's new name is going to be Jaguar. I don't have any real reason for the name change, but as I push closer to a finalized release I feel a "more awesome" name is needed =P

So with all that said, I'm going to start coding version 0.4 today. The Tell Messenger is in enough working order that it can hold up for a week or so without any major bugs. If any bugs shall arise I will release a quick fix. I know there are options people wanted to see, but I assure they will be in the v0.4 release. I am not pushing back the Highlighting feature, this will still be included in the new release =P
08-31-06, 06:49 AM   #30
Xuerian
A Fallenroot Satyr

Talking

That's great news =)

As soon as it's ace'd I'll load it up, I'm itching to replace ChatMOD, it's one of the highest sources of lag in my ui at the moment.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Alpha/Beta AddOns and Compilations » Jaguar Beta (Formerly ChatEx)