08-06-09, 09:08 PM   #21
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I've used Carb for I don't remember how long. I have made side tracks to things like QH+Metamap+TomTom, but when I sat back and thought about it, I had to ask myself "Why am I using all of these addons to do a bunch of seperate stuff, when Carbonite does it all seamlessly. Yeah, Carb has had it's share of rough spots, usually around patch days, but every single time it comes out on top. Yeah, I still use it for questing too even though I've been playing the game for almost 3 years. So sue me. I use it for node locations and things like that too. And just the map integration is the best of any one map addon, bar none.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
08-06-09, 09:10 PM   #22
chinoyray
A Defias Bandit

I was using QuestHelper and Cartographer a week ago. When the 3.2patch came in. I tried to search for a new UI and read a lot of feedback on which quest & map addon to be used.

And now... I'm using Carbonite and nUI+.

I'm so happy with the effect Carbonite made to my WoWing and decided to donate 10$ since I was very happy with the improvement in framerate / fps comparing to using Cartographer and QuestHelper.

Yes, I was willing to shell out a few bucks because of a well done addOn. :P
08-06-09, 09:19 PM   #23
Opaque
A Fallenroot Satyr
I liked Carbonite so much that I actually paid for it back when it was a pay mod. It's probably the best mod ever created!
08-06-09, 09:21 PM   #24
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
I liked Carbonite so much that I actually paid for it back when it was a pay mod. It's probably the best mod ever created!
Sorry, nUI gets that title. But Carb is a close second.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
08-08-09, 12:39 PM   #25
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
Same here! And I still like it. I know many here think I don't like anything but Carbonite and bartender4 are the best add ons I have used.
08-08-09, 02:07 PM   #26
Republic
Paladin

You're all nuts, nuts I say! Clique is the best mod past, present, and future!
08-08-09, 03:55 PM   #27
Tithulta
A Black Drake

AddOn Author - Click to view addons

I have used carbonite for over a year. I used the free version for a short while back then and decided to try my first paid mod. WOW what a difference. I ened up paying for 2 accounts and was about to pay for 3rd when the Mod busters R'US Blizzard changed the rules.

Since some have felt it isnt as polished as it once was I beg to differ. I get countless errors.... from all my other mods. I don't recall a single error spawned from carbonite. This last patch did break some things and in less than a week it was fixed. And while it "broke" you could still abandon quest you just had to hold alt-L and open the blizzard quest frame.

Carbonite deserves your donations. ATM i ahvent, but plan to in Oct when my old subscriptions would ahve ran out. I tried Nui and feel it's top notch, just not for me atm. It may get another go if i decide to drop xperl.
08-10-09, 08:44 PM   #28
Ne0nLiteZ
An Aku'mai Servant
I LOVE Carbonite. When I got Carbonite I was able to remove Gathermate, Cartographer, and QH. Carbonite still does even more than all those add ons, takes less space, and is more simple to me.
08-11-09, 06:01 AM   #29
Bladesong
A Kobold Labourer
Carbonite

I have been using Carbonite for about a year and a half now, tried the questhelper route and have to echo the sentiments about QH taking over. It wanted me to its way or not at all. I run on a PVP server so the enemy warning comes in handy too. They are usually pretty quick with their patches. I was worried at first with 3.2 but I weathered the storm pretty good. Carbonite also seems to play well with other addons pretty good. That is my 2 cents
08-11-09, 06:39 AM   #30
Donnaterassi
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Republic View Post
Because Donkey Kong experience is helpful to Wow...

Well, not so much the Donkey Kong, but definitely Frogger!
08-11-09, 10:34 AM   #31
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
Sorry, nUI gets that title. But Carb is a close second.
Without a doubt, agreed.
08-11-09, 11:08 AM   #32
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Bladesong View Post
<snip> Carbonite also seems to play well with other addons pretty good. <snip>
...except for the part where it misrepresents itself as being Cartographer, which breaks a few AddOns that look for things Cartographer does that Carbonite doesn't emulate.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
08-11-09, 01:56 PM   #33
Kreelor
A Firelord

If it weren't for the Carboniteaddon, I'd have to stop playing WoW.

The product is great... the team that develops/supports it is even greater!

I don't care if you use Quest Helper, but have you ever tried to zoom in-and-out, or left-and-right using your mouse wheel on your main map with Quest Helper? Does it show superb, detailed graphics at any level of magnification? Carboniteaddon does!

How many times have you tried to find some small path to get through the mountains, or find your way around in the confusing artwork of convoluted cities? Blizzard's "static" maps do not zoom to any degree of detail needed to find anything.

And, quests are listed in order of your proximity to them, with patches of colored rectangles showing you where to solve the quest and/or find the appropriate objects. Each quest rectangle is displayed in a different color to differentiate them.

Quest Helper displays a nearly invisible dotted line that zig-zags all over the map. I can't even see it half the time. I do not use Quest Helper, since Carbonite does so much and so well.

Nothing could be simpler! I couldn't be happier!

And, have you ever tried to see EVERYTHING all of your other characters are holding (at the same time on a simple screen list of items) and what they have in the bank? Have you ever wondered which vendors sell 'what' and where those vendors are in the world?

Carbonite does all of that and much more. I can view my Warehouse to see everything on all of my chars at once! Plus, it gives the total amounts of items, etc. Indespensible when building up my professions!

-- Kreelor
08-11-09, 02:49 PM   #34
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

I use Carbonite currently but both mods are excellent in what they do.
Carbonite has some things that bug the crap out of me. QuestHelper does some things that annoy me but both addons I think are excellent choices depending on what you're looking for in a Questing Mod.
Then again Tourguide is fantastic too.

My reasoning behind my switch was I was having serious issues with routing in cartographer and I use routes a lot. I heard about Carbonites routing feature and while it's a little flaky works well enough for my strip mining / deflowering of my chosen zones.
08-15-09, 04:15 PM   #35
Riamus
A Defias Bandit

I use Carbonite and really like it. Sure, I know where most quests are anyhow after years of playing, but it's still useful. And if you just can't remember where that anvil is located in some small place you haven't been to in a long time, it leads you right to it. Very useful. There are many things I don't use in it (like the watcher for enemy players), but it is very useful for what I do use it for.
08-16-09, 02:54 PM   #36
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Carbonite is a great addon to use for leveling even if you know where all the quests are. Carbonite is for the people who did enjoy leveling their first or second character, but realizing it is so repetitive that you really just want your third or fourth, or even twentieth character a higher level in a great pace. Carbonite does this for you. It allows for leveling in a great pace, giving you all the information you need for a quest and to complete it in a timely fashion. Its even great for the people who just started playing but just want a higher level as well. It is also very user friendly.

The only thing I can complain about Carbonite is it doesn't include maps for dungeons.
08-16-09, 03:18 PM   #37
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
...except for the part where it misrepresents itself as being Cartographer, which breaks a few AddOns that look for things Cartographer does that Carbonite doesn't emulate.
By default on the Carbonite General options page:
"Emulate Cartographer Waypoints" is off.
"Emulate TomTom" is on.
08-16-09, 03:21 PM   #38
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Ferous View Post
The only thing I can complain about Carbonite is it doesn't include maps for dungeons.
3.20 added support for showing Blizzard's WotLK instance maps:
Added support for WotLK instance map art drawn on Carb map at instance entry.
Multi level instances tile vertically and use extended Y coordinates.
Favorites can be set in instances.
Atlas maps now tile the same, support favorites and have virtual coordinates.
08-16-09, 05:00 PM   #39
aceman67
A Theradrim Guardian

I only use Carbonite for its Routing function to make farming gathering professions easier.
08-16-09, 08:30 PM   #40
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
I only use Carbonite for its Routing function to make farming gathering professions easier.
If that's all you use it for, why don't you give Routes, Gathermate, and TomTom a shot? It will save you some overhead and those three combined will take less of a toll on your system while farming than all the features in Carbonite being run for no reason.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Do you use Carbonite?