09-12-12, 09:24 AM   #61
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Baltharus View Post
I have SQL Server installed on my computer <.<
>< I have 5 SQL servers on 3 boxes... I thought it was mandatory now.
09-12-12, 09:59 AM   #62
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
...i'm a canuck :P
You realize, of course, that as much as we love you, it won't stop us teasing you about that, right?

Originally Posted by hatori1181 View Post
Could it be possible to make a google map add-on that has modules? It would let people that can make modules that they want, and cam make the entire add-on an a-la-carte mod. Want a quest tracker? add the module. mining nodes? Archaeology sites? ect, ect.
Modularity is possible in just about any project and Our Hero has already stated in this thread that he will adopt a modular framework so that (unlike Craponite) you don't have to run 20 things to get the 2 you want.
09-12-12, 11:44 AM   #63
Krucid
A Defias Bandit
I vote for Rymaps/Ryquests/etc..

Again, thank you for all that you've done. I am also pleased to see that you are going to do your own addon.

Just let me know where to send the 50.00 to help with funds.
09-12-12, 11:55 AM   #64
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by VincentSDSH View Post
You realize, of course, that as much as we love you, it won't stop us teasing you about that, right?
That really should have been: "You realize, of course, that as much as we love you, it won't stop us teasing you about that, eh?"

JUST KIDDING, just kidding.

As far as your addon, I'm leaning towards "Kryptonite". I was actually thinking "Ryolite", but, I don't know.... If it ends up being as big as Carbonite, there just won't be anything "lite" about it, I guess.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
09-12-12, 12:21 PM   #65
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
As for kickstarter, even if I wanted to I couldn't.. it's for americans only and i'm a canuck :P
Hi hi neighbour. Where are you?

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
That really should have been: "You realize, of course, that as much as we love you, it won't stop us teasing you about that, eh?"

JUST KIDDING, just kidding.
*pokes VincentSDSH and jeffy162*

Reminder:

<== is also a Canuck

Last edited by Cairenn : 09-12-12 at 12:23 PM.
09-12-12, 12:22 PM   #66
Serra44
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Meh... I program for the love of programming, life's to short to get worked up over the little things
Honestly man... I wish I had your attitude and endless patience.
Oh..and your programming skills!

<love>
09-12-12, 01:15 PM   #67
Jaymie82
A Murloc Raider
So... my first challenge, is coming up with a name for it..

I know a lot of you said names mixing google or carbonite, but my goal with the new project is something completely modular.. you can pick or chose what you want to run... so in theory it would be [NAME] Maps, [NAME] Quest, [NAME] PVP etc..

After I figure out a name, the next step is figuring out which part is wanted the most..

OK. I joined this forum just so I can put my two cents in. First of all Rythal I admire you for starting your or addon. I deeply missed carbonite while it was gone, but was relieved to see that someone still cares. I understand the original developers time and I wish him good luck in his life. However, I do feel that we, as players, need a new leader and Rythal, I think we have picked you.

As for a name I was also thinking GoogleAzeroth, but as you would like to have mod names, why not pull something from the game. Goblins and Gnomes are the mechanical aspects of the game, so make them the "google" makes. Something like Fizzlecraft's Quest, Fizzlecraft's quests, etc. I personally would go for GiggleCraft. HAHA

I would also like to put on here what I would like your first addon to be. I would love the GoogleEarth type map that has the locations to dungeons, flight points, etc. This is what I missed most about "the other app". I could not remember where dungeons were at to go tmog hunting. This was a pain to look it up online and then find the game. To me, at least, this was my favorite part of "the other app" and if done right could be a GREAT app to get out there.

Thank you again Rythal and happy making~!
09-12-12, 01:20 PM   #68
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Hey Hey.... no teasing the canucks, it's bad enough we have to suffer seeing all the neat online toys you guys get for online music, tv shows, movies

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Hi hi neighbour. Where are you?
Uxbridge... lil hamlet about 30 minutes north east of TO.
09-12-12, 01:32 PM   #69
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
For a quest database, I would like to suggest using Grail as the basis. It is designed to be used for things like TourGuide and Everyquest. However, it can be extended to add more data (in loadable modules) for other things like what has already been done for achievements (useful for an addon like Loremaster) and changes in reputation. Grail is intended to keep a "live" concept of what quests are available, while minimizing the impact it has on your CPU time. It does take up a fairly large chunk of memory though.
09-12-12, 02:23 PM   #70
NoggenFogger
A Cyclonian
Hey Hey.... no teasing the canucks, it's bad enough we have to suffer Celine Dion being associated with us

Fixed it for you.

Last edited by NoggenFogger : 09-12-12 at 02:27 PM.
09-12-12, 02:39 PM   #71
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

*pokes VincentSDSH and jeffy162*

Reminder:

<== is also a Canuck
Y'know, I just really never knew that. I don't know why, but I thought you were from Australia. Don't know how I got that impression, but, there you go. Learn something new every day.

I have two people I talk to occasionally over XBox Live that are from Canada, and they seem to be pretty nice guys. I enjoy my conversations with them.

I also used to drive truck for a company that transported race horses and they had a few Canadian agents that I met. Very nice people. The few times I was in Canada to go to tracks or farms, the people were generally very nice and I enjoyed what time I spent there.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 09-12-12 at 02:41 PM.
09-12-12, 03:01 PM   #72
LothwenTLU
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
The addon will be completly new from the ground..... and fully modular so people can pick and chose which parts they want to use.

Awesome. I was trying to think of a way to suggest this without sounding like a know-it-all...

And, name-wise...

I like both Ry[map], etc, as well as Ryton[map], etc. Both contain part of your name, without using the whole thing.

Truth is, though - you could name it anything and, once people knew who was behind it, would use it. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with...but take your time, don't kill yourself on it!
09-12-12, 03:32 PM   #73
kittykatmax
A Fallenroot Satyr

Like many people, I don't care what you call it, just build it and I will download...and donate!!!

I also agree maps (with gathermate functionality and ability to support notes) and quest tracking/waypoints are the two biggies. Altoholic does the warehouse function just fine, so (IMHO, for whatever small bit that is worth) that is awesome to have but can wait.
09-12-12, 03:57 PM   #74
anteract
Premium Member
Premium Member
ugh... it is sooooo tempting to do carbonite-mop-050408 :/ the two glaring bugs I had left (green missing texture in twilight highlands... start area second level maps), are the 2 things they actually fixed in 5041.... but I keep slapping my hand and saying NO!
You could, you know, accidentally, maybe, let a link to it, by mistake, maybe, appear on the prior download site... For the rest of us

(after all, what is the point of creating something beautiful and hiding it?)

09-12-12, 04:03 PM   #75
dnmartyn
A Kobold Labourer
Rythal, I would absolutely support any addon that you develop.

I don't have very much technical skill, but I can follow directions. I am guessing in some form you will need to gather a quest/node info database, and I would be more than happy to put my grinding skills to work getting that info for you.

If I can make a small request, that if you start your own forum, or are posting anywhere else about updates can you give us a link to that in this thread? I would hate to miss updates or a request for help because I was reading in the wrong area.
09-12-12, 05:23 PM   #76
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Baltharus View Post
I have SQL Server installed on my computer <.<
...*thwack*

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
09-12-12, 06:13 PM   #77
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
Originally Posted by dnmartyn View Post

I don't have very much technical skill, but I can follow directions. I am guessing in some form you will need to gather a quest/node info database, and I would be more than happy to put my grinding skills to work getting that info for you.
I do not know what information is needed for a quest database, but the Grail addon is probably a very good start. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of information that is required by a quest database?
09-12-12, 06:39 PM   #78
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Nimhfree View Post
I do not know what information is needed for a quest database, but the Grail addon is probably a very good start. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of information that is required by a quest database?
TBH, I don't think carbonites quest database was anything more then datamined info from QuestPOIPoint.dbc and QuestPOIBlob.dbc, but I haven't tried decrypting what they have to see.
09-12-12, 08:04 PM   #79
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
So thanks to a very generous user, I now have rythal.com ... I'm just not sure what to do with it >< was going to use it as a development blog, and right now it's loaded with wordpress... but I can't find a single theme that would suit for that... pondering now if there's something more appropriate.
09-12-12, 08:35 PM   #80
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Hey Hey.... no teasing the canucks, it's bad enough we have to suffer seeing all the neat online toys you guys get for online music, tv shows, movies
<== is also a Canuck
Moose Antler Hats for EVERYONE then!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Rythal!! Read this...