12-15-09, 04:44 PM   #1
mcfarljd
A Defias Bandit
Unhappy Carbonite, Windows 7 Problems

I've searched through here and all I can find is

"Windows 7 is a replica of Windows Vista, and although not technically supported, works perfectly"...

Well not so much with this guy. I just upgraded to 7 from Vista two nights ago, and since, every single time I click on the desktop link to load WOW, I have to re-sign the two EULA contracts, it forgets my login account information, does not know what realm I am in and tries to put me into a new one, but the most annoying thing is again, every single time, my entire interface is reset so I have to go through the painstaking process of moving bags, spell bars, and what have you. Also the option keeps coming up to combine the carbonite map and the wow map, but everytime I click yes on that, it logs me out, logs me back in, and everything I had done is reset again and the maps are still seperate. The only two add-ons I use are Carbonite and Bartender, neither of which have I ever encountered a problem with. If anyone knows what I'm going t hrough and can help me out that would be fantastic.

12-15-09, 05:51 PM   #2
wurmfood
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you have WoW installed in Program Files and had previously set the permissions to allow your normal login full control of it, you may have to do it again.

For Vista and 7 I just installed it on the Desktop instead and bypassed the problem completely.

12-15-09, 10:16 PM   #3
smedeley
An Aku'mai Servant

Yep, I do not think this is a Carbonite problem. This has to do with Vista's and 7's permission settings. Ever since I upgraded to Vista from XP, I have ALWAYS installed my programs and games into my own custom program folders to bypass the protocols in place for the Program Files folder. I also have disabled the outright annoying "Are you sure" type messages that seem to pop up with everything you do from the User Account Control Settings, in Control Panel/Users.

So for example, I install all my games into: "C:/Smeds Games/" and all my non-gaming programs into "C:/Smeds Programs/" never using "C:/Program Files/"

You need to go into your shortcuts and make them run the program as an Administrator, as well it helps to run installation programs as an administrator also.

As for installing programs On Your Desktop - ACK! That is not a good thing to do, your desktop loads into memory/page files/caches, it's meant only for Shortcuts and Temporary install executables. The more crap you have ON Your Dekstop, the more performance issues you will run into, which won't be immediately apparent on systems with a lot of RAM, Video and Processor Power, but as time goes on you'll most likely start experiencing low frame rates, increased system start up and shut down time and even eventually system crashes. Maybe the desktop works differently in 7, I do not know for sure. All I know is that 7 is NOT a new OS, it is basically an Expansion Pack (in gamer terms) to Vista. Microsoft originally had 7 planned as a update for Vista but felt that they now needed to get away from the "Vista" name because of bad reviews, so just repackaged it and renamed it. Windows 7 is nothing more than a glorified new updated version of Vista.

Last edited by smedeley : 12-15-09 at 10:24 PM.

12-15-09, 10:22 PM   #4
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
It sounds like your WoW folder may have been set to read only preventing WoW from saving all it's info.

R-Click your Warcraft shortcut and select "Open File Location"

Select all files and folders (CTRL + A is easiest way to do this when the window is selected)

R-Click any blue highlighted line.

Select Properties.

UN-CHECK (Make the box empty) Read-Only option and click apply.

If it is already unchecked (or not filled in) then I do not no what else you can try.

12-15-09, 11:04 PM   #5
mcfarljd
A Defias Bandit
Posted on WOW forums too and guy told me I should have a look at this...

http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-...-windows-7.htm

Something about taking ownership of folders, either way that did not work.

But thankfully the idea of moving the folder to somewhere outside of program files did the trick, thanks bunches people. Lots of headaches resolved, now I can continue sucking with my shadow priest.

12-16-09, 12:14 AM   #6
aceman67
A Theradrim Guardian

This most likely has nothing to do with Carbonite, but with where WoW is installed, IE a location that is protected like the Program Files and user Profile Folders, and the OS not allowing WoW to save any data to the WTF folder.

I have all my games installed to C:\Users\Public\Games and I use carbonite, a very heavily customized UI, and Windows 7, and I have no issues with any of it.

Vista and Windows 7 have different folder security permissions then previous versions of windows, in fact, if you try to install WoW using the Client Downloader from Blizz's website (I had too after a fresh install of Vista before 7 came out, Dad stepped on my Vanilla WoW box while helping me move a bookcase, and broke discs 2 and 3), it won't even let you install it to C:\Program Files, since the OS won't let the game make changes to any files in the WTF folder which is needed for the game to save any settings, even if you've given your account full access to the system (not recommended, but useful if you're a power user like myself).

My suggestion is to back up your Interface and WTF folders, and Re-Install WoW fresh to C:\Users\Public\Games and you won't have any problems. Messing with folder permissions normal users don't have access too, nor have the knowledge of what to do with those permissions (IE, if you don't know how to get permission to a specific folder, chances are its best to not muck with things you don't know), as it can lead to issues up to and including Borking your windows install beyond recovery (I speak from experience here, and its taught me well)

Last edited by aceman67 : 12-16-09 at 12:21 AM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite, Windows 7 Problems