08-15-12, 04:59 AM   #21
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I was originally emailed by Memnock, and I did not respond at the time because frankly I am busy and I did not want to support my addons on another website at the time.

It is clear that this was an empty gesture, since they knew very well they needed to ask for a license to distribute my addons and chose to do it anyway in violation of my addon licenses.

Jason's information is as follows:

Jason Bechdel
[email protected]

Please keep it civil and professional. If you don't have a reason to be contacting him, then don't.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
08-15-12, 05:46 AM   #22
SephirothWS
Premium Member
Premium Member
This is just sad, doesn't TenTonHammer know better? They obviously should since their PlayerScore addon and site is trademarked by them, so why didn't they consult their lawyers before doing this?

While I agree with them on the problems with Curse (Have to pay for one-click-update) ... I disagree with them in their tactics on how they obtain their addons. They even have an entire section under their "Author Tab" where you can import an addon from another site. ... How the heck does that work? *Goes to uninstall PlayerScore*
08-15-12, 06:00 AM   #23
Nevcairiel
Premium Member
Premium Member
My story is even funnier.
I was also contacted by Jason, asking for permission to host Bartender4, and his mail did not have the "if you don't reply, we'll take your addon" clause, it read like a normal mail asking for permission.
In any case, i responded and denied the permission to host Bartender4 on some random addon page which i have never seen or heard of.

Now the fun part.
Bartender4 is not hosted on their page. BUT, all my other addons are. Denying permission for one addon apparently did not make it clear to them that this would apply to all my addons.

I already contacted Jason again explaining my disappointment in their actions and demanded immediate removal of my addons.
08-15-12, 06:56 AM   #24
Squishy Tia
A Murloc Raider

I would issue a Cease and Desist letter to Jason, and then contact the ISP hosting their site(s), forwarding a copy of that letter and requesting that the sites be taken down for copyright infringement. This is one case where the DMCA could actually be used for good.

That two-pronged approach should bag this kitty up fairly quickly, especially since they emailed letters with that "opt-out" line in it, which is illegal, and hosting companies are required by federal law to keep copies of all emails sent for a specific period of time.
08-15-12, 07:50 AM   #25
Baltharus
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Did anybody else get an e-mail yesterday about their new project "Spark"? The first I heard of it was last week and I thought it was a joint effort with the likes of Curse and WoWInterface to have a centralized updater. Never did I ever expect this to happen. Reminds me of the WowMatrix fiasco.
08-15-12, 08:30 AM   #26
Evolution85
A Black Drake

When I received the announcement e-mail, I was in disbelief. Usually there is some "buzz" about such projects. While I am not very active in the posting side of the add on community, but I visit all the major sites daily and I am pretty much up on anything new.

As soon as I checked out the site I knew immediately something wasn't right. Vast majority of the add ons there are NOT latest releases, as they state. And I was immediately drawn to the fact that NONE of them had given any credit to the authors! Which, is a MAJOR slap in the face. if they expect anyone to trust and respect them, they are going about it in the complete opposite direction!

I am in the midst of preparing for the release of my first major add on myself (When MoP releases). I would never allow it to be posted on a site like that! I expect it will not be around very long though. Without the support of the authors and the add on community it doesnt stand much of a chance.
08-15-12, 10:11 AM   #27
Baltharus
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Although, I have to say that Playerscore being the Editor's pick made me laugh uncontrollably. Biased much?
08-15-12, 03:01 PM   #28
Phanx
Cat.

gameinworld.ru
Their website contact form is useless, as it apparently does not accept URLs; you can contact the domain name registrant through the form at www.reg.ru/whois/admin_contact?dname=GAMEINWORLD.RU. Their host can be contacted through the "report abuse" form at vps2fast.com/kontakti/.
08-15-12, 04:16 PM   #29
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Retweet:
@TenTonHammer hosting @WorldOfWarcraft addons without the addon authors permission. Addon author community is outraged!
08-15-12, 04:56 PM   #30
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Not really related, but I personally don't mind any Chinese/Korean addon sites rehosting (clean) addons, since in general their userbase isn't proficient in English, and the addon description is mostly translated into their native language ..

Edit: Referring to sites like http://wowui.w.163.com (chinese) and http://wow.inven.co.kr/addon.php (korean)
Please don't target such sites >.<

Last edited by Ketho : 08-15-12 at 06:00 PM.
08-15-12, 05:07 PM   #31
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
The agreement I had made with hotwow in the past was that they not host my addons themselves, but instead link to WowInterface for the download.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-15-12, 08:26 PM   #32
Shadowhack
Der Meister

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
alladdon.com
No contact informating is listed on the site, but the administrative contact for the domain name is listed as [email protected], and the website is hosted by EraNet, who can be contacted at [email protected] or by other means listed on www.eranet.com/customer/contact.net.
When I looked up alladdons host it lead me to Sharktech Inc o_O
08-15-12, 09:13 PM   #33
Elv22
A Murloc Raider
Yo

Hey all, I found this after doing about 5 minutes of searching online. I thought it was truly hilarious. I'm guessing this is a letter he wrote the author of "GearScoreBreaker". An addon designed back in the day to prevent gearscore from returning correct values on your personal gear.

Dear "gearscorebreaker"

We are the proprietors of all copyright in a literary/artistic/musical work entitled "GearScore" (The "Work"). We have reserved all rights in the Work, which was first expressed in material form on January 16, 2009.

It has come to our attention that your work entitled "GearScoreBreaker" is identical/substantially similar to our copyrighted Work. Permission was neither asked nor granted to reproduce our Work and your Work therefore constitutes infringement of our rights. In terms of the Copyright Statutes, we are entitled to an injunction against your continued infringement.

In the circumstances, we demand that you immediately:

1. remove all infringing content and notify us in writing that you have done so;

2. pay a licensing fee in the amount of $2,250 / year;

3. immediately cease the use and distribution of copyrighted material;

I await to hear from you by no later than close of business on December 9th, 2009.
This is written without prejudice to our rights, all of which are hereby expressly reserved.

Yours faithfully,
Kevin C. Foster
Arxkanite / Mirrikat45
[email protected]
http://www.GearScoreAddon.com
So this guy thinks its ok to steal other peoples work unless someone steals his own work?
08-15-12, 10:07 PM   #34
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Ketho View Post
Not really related, but I personally don't mind any Chinese/Korean addon sites rehosting (clean) addons, since in general their userbase isn't proficient in English, and the addon description is mostly translated into their native language
I don't really mind that either, in theory, but would it really kill them to ask, or just provide a link instead of rehosting the files?

Originally Posted by Shadowhack View Post
When I looked up alladdons host it lead me to Sharktech Inc o_O
Looked it up where? Their domain's nameservers point to EraNet's servers. Or rather, the nameservers are owned by now.net.cn, which is in Chinese but is obviously advertising web hosting, and clicking "English" on that site redirects to eranet.com.

Last edited by Phanx : 08-15-12 at 10:18 PM.
08-15-12, 11:15 PM   #35
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Elv22 View Post
Hey all, I found this after doing about 5 minutes of searching online. I thought it was truly hilarious. I'm guessing this is a letter he wrote the author of "GearScoreBreaker". An addon designed back in the day to prevent gearscore from returning correct values on your personal gear.

So this guy thinks its ok to steal other peoples work unless someone steals his own work?
That would be the theory. Hypocrisy, all around there.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
08-16-12, 12:37 AM   #36
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
There is a long history of people that have created popular "things" believing they are a law unto themselves. Some do it better than others for a while.

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 08-16-12 at 12:41 AM.
08-16-12, 06:55 AM   #37
Shadowhack
Der Meister

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Looked it up where? Their domain's nameservers point to EraNet's servers. Or rather, the nameservers are owned by now.net.cn, which is in Chinese but is obviously advertising web hosting, and clicking "English" on that site redirects to eranet.com.
I looked up the webhost not the place that the domain was registered with.
08-16-12, 10:08 AM   #38
Jarod24
A Theradrim Guardian
Well, i found one of my addons on alladdon.com, i've sent them an email, lets see what happens.

For the future, i'm thinking of adding a new windowframe in my addon.
It will appear for the user ingame on each new release with something like this:

This addon is free and is hosted on curse.com (curseforge) and wowinterface.com
If you download it from anywhere else, then please stop using those websites.
They take our work without permission.
-The author.
Ofc, this doesn't do anthing about the websites themselves, but it hopefully will make the user a bit more aware.

any thoughts?

Last edited by Jarod24 : 08-16-12 at 10:11 AM.
08-16-12, 10:13 AM   #39
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
If that pops up automatically you'll get dinged for advertising. That's exactly what Blizzard wants to stop with the addon policy, among other things.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
08-16-12, 11:06 AM   #40
Darth Predator
A Murloc Raider

Well, for MoP releases I personally added a popup warning user that my addons will not work with GearScore enabled and 2 buttons to disable GS or my addon.
Can't think about anything better then that at the moment.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » /sigh ... Here we go again