08-05-08, 05:58 PM   #301
Palidin
A Murloc Raider

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This actually reminded me to update an addon for my guild, a few people have requested me to fix it recently also. Thanks for at least getting my rear in gear for them. And a chance to get it ready for the future.
08-05-08, 06:00 PM   #302
kneeki
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Caireen, can I have a signed poster, of you?

<3
08-05-08, 06:00 PM   #303
Lombra
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by ballwinkle View Post
and on the forums people say opt-in keys have gone out.
All opt-in invites aren't being sent out simultaneously.

Originally Posted by Softrix View Post
I believe i was number 95 and still nothing.
It would seem that no author invites has been sent out yet, regardless of number.

Don't take me wrong btw, just stating facts here, I really do appreciate having this opportunity. Can't wait to try out all the fancy stuff in the beta! Already downloaded and patched the client.
08-05-08, 06:05 PM   #304
Lonny
I think that you shouldn't expect too much, even though one tells you it's guaranteed, it's a bonus, and I'm sure that they didn't give us the opportunity for nothing, after all Blizzard responsible for the emails.

I'm waiting myself (a bit impatiently myself I admit ) but we should thank the WoWInterface staff just for giving us the chance to participate the beta whether we get it or not.

So wishes, and keep up the good work.
08-05-08, 06:11 PM   #305
Codermik
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lonny View Post
I think that you shouldn't expect too much, even though one tells you it's guaranteed, it's a bonus, and I'm sure that they didn't give us the opportunity for nothing, after all Blizzard responsible for the emails.

I'm waiting myself (a bit impatiently myself I admit ) but we should thank the WoWInterface staff just for giving us the chance to participate the beta whether we get it or not.

So wishes, and keep up the good work.

I 100% agree with you - i thank all of wowinterface.com for their time and effort and a big pat on the back to them all. Fantastic service, always on the ball when i upload new versions of the addon unlike *cough* curse *cough*. Since i became a supporter ive never looked back and you can count me in for future support.

As for the beta keys, I know its down to blizzard and when i posted I wasnt moaning about wowinterface.
08-05-08, 06:14 PM   #306
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
*Nod* Just pointing out that Blizz doesn't have to be doing this either. They are doing it because they want to and they agree with us that it benefits the entire community if they get the authors in before it goes live, which is why they agreed to do it again. But think about how much they are juggling right now too, and be patient. The keys will come.
08-05-08, 06:37 PM   #307
Bouvi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

It was like this the first time too. Everyone finally got in. It took a few weeks but everyone got in. Cairenn is my hero

Last edited by Bouvi : 08-05-08 at 06:43 PM.
08-05-08, 06:47 PM   #308
Asu
A Murloc Raider
Something else to consider... we're not being given beta keys so we can go test the new content, or DKs... we're getting it so we can test their new APIs and fix our addons.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get keys till after the next big round of API patches (eg, when the new threat stuff is under control and slash commands aren't broken any more).

PS And ya, I think of ~= as equivalent as a combination of ≈ and Perl... though i suspect perl chose =~ as it's regexp evaluator 'cause of the resonance with ≈. Probably also why ~~ is smart match now too.
08-05-08, 06:50 PM   #309
Voorije
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
*Nod* Just pointing out that Blizz doesn't have to be doing this either. They are doing it because they want to and they agree with us that it benefits the entire community if they get the authors in before it goes live, which is why they agreed to do it again. But think about how much they are juggling right now too, and be patient. The keys will come.
I don't envy you cairenn (i <3 you tho). Babysitting the ungratefull is not fun, i would know (ex-raid leader).
08-05-08, 07:02 PM   #310
Gello
A Molten Giant
To help with perspective:

- It looks like addons weren't even possible in alpha? At least from the early discussions on the beta forum. They've only been possible in beta which is like three weeks old. It also sounds like things in the UI are in state of change, with functions leaving, new ones coming, and neither are in/out the door completely yet.

- WotLK will not have nearly the impact BC did on addons. I was a little shocked that most/all my mods supposedly work in WotLK without change (but probably not when this/argN go away--which is something I can work on live). It looks like it will be no more traumatic than one patch to another for addons. There's no hurry to fix what ain't broken.

- We may be biased in the UI's importance to WoW, but the beta is about the game Wrath of the Lich King. About death knights and new zones and levels and stuff. The importance of feedback/tuning in those areas overshadows the UI changes so much that I'm a little surprised addon authors are allowed in before they open the level cap to 80. (especially with so little that needs done in the addon department)

I'm anxious as the rest of you guys to get in (well, maybe not as anxious as some lol), and I'm hardly a fanboi, but the most jaded cynic has to respect that Blizzard knows what they're doing and really doesn't need our involvement in the beta. Making it an unpleasant task for those making it happen isn't going to help.
08-05-08, 07:28 PM   #311
Nynaeve
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Not to mention all of the blue posts talking about how X isn't implemented yet, or is broken and will be brought about later.

Think about all the people who want to create mods dealing with random summons from the new pet tab? Or people who want to skin it or the new barber shop window with mod like skinner? If these things aren't implemented yet/are still broken, then there are things obviously far from finished.

I would hate for you guys to get your keys, then find out that what you want to work on mod-wise is not yet at a state where it can be worked on, "y'know?"

Regardless, I hope you get them soon (not soon™, but soon*).

Cairenn, <3 to you hun, and here, to go along with something said earlier:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...ad-in-mind.jpg
08-05-08, 08:01 PM   #312
Kemortia
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Got an email from Blizzard, get all excited...

... too bad it was just spam about the recruit a friend thing.
08-05-08, 08:16 PM   #313
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
But think about how much they are juggling right now too, and be patient. The keys will come.
Frankly, I think Blizzy's learned quite well how to tune out the whiney *****es and listen for the quality posts... they don't let the whiney minority ruin it for everyone else.
08-05-08, 08:48 PM   #314
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Yup, and so do I, for the most part. However, I'm not adverse to handing out a verbal spanking when someone deserves it.
08-05-08, 08:57 PM   #315
x(wai)x
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Kemortia View Post
Got an email from Blizzard, get all excited...

... too bad it was just spam about the recruit a friend thing.
I didn't even get that much. Blizzard hates me.

And for the record, my bellyaching is good-natured. I'm glad to have a chance to get into the beta at all, and while I am somewhat impatient to get in, I sort of think of this thread as a good place to kick back and joke around about it when I feel too impatient.
08-05-08, 09:30 PM   #316
Freki
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Too much seriousness going on in here
08-05-08, 10:07 PM   #317
MattCairns
A Fallenroot Satyr

lol me too
I opened my email and I was like YAY!! And then i opened it and all it was about was some mount.
08-05-08, 10:55 PM   #318
Nuchaleft
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by MattCairns View Post
lol me too
I opened my email and I was like YAY!! And then i opened it and all it was about was some mount.
same, lol
08-06-08, 12:19 AM   #319
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Gello View Post
(especially with so little that needs done in the addon department)
Speak for yourself... gotta get all that new zone information into questhelper... urg
08-06-08, 01:01 AM   #320
Neuro
A Theradrim Guardian

Journal Entry: Betawatch - Day 11

Supplies running low. The mood in here is turning ugly; my compatriots' nerves are wearing thin, and the madness within them is rising. Paranoia is running rampant through our ranks, and I dare not take my eyes away for a second, or they'll gut me like a fish. I remain immune to this insanity, but for how long? How long can we maintain this veneer of civility, this outward illusion of patience? Everywhere, I see naked hunger in their faces, an overwhelming need that can rise up in an instant! Must be careful, must not sleep... sleep is when they get you!

The whispered chanting is the worst. Most don't realize what they are saying, a sub-audible pulse mouthed from their lips without conscious thought. Like the name of some dark and hungry entity from beyond, they call to it, promising unspeakable sacrifices and unholy pacts for a taste of it's power. This gruesome and horrible thing that grips us all in a demonic fever, this hell-beast known as... Beta.

God help us. God help us all.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Mod Author WotLK Beta Key Give-Away discussion thread