06-21-11, 01:13 AM   #1
WeeBaby
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Cool Casual or hardcore?

I love a good healthy, fun debate and I wanted to throw a question out to answer some long standing curiosities & perhaps start a fun conversation.

I have been playing WoW for almost 5 years now and I still thoroughly enjoy the game. My now 17 year old son started playing 3 years ago and I am starting to notice some interesting differences in our playing style and likes/dislikes. I have always considered myself a casual gamer and don't really get too concerned about instances/BG's/PvP while he is a huge fan of dungeon runs. I enjoy the lore & gameplay, he enjoys the loot & gear score.

So my question is this, how do you deal personally with casual gamers if you are more hardcore/elitist and vice versa? I have to admit, part of my reason for not worrying about instances/PvP is I pay my monthly fee, buy all the expansions, I don't feel I need to hear some elitist tell me I suck.

I love this forum & the people inhabiting it, am looking forward to the input.

Also, many thanks to all the addon authors & admins, it has been a joy coming to this website & am very happy I found it. Happy Gaming!!

06-21-11, 01:25 AM   #2
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by WeeBaby View Post
So my question is this, how do you deal personally with casual gamers if you are more hardcore/elitist and vice versa? I have to admit, part of my reason for not worrying about instances/PvP is I pay my monthly fee, buy all the expansions, I don't feel I need to hear some elitist tell me I suck.
We're all human, we're all different. Simply co-exist with each other, and not let yourself create illusions and barriers when viewing others, nor illusions and barriers when others try to view you. Simply accept each other as who we are, as fellow humans living the game of life.
06-21-11, 01:48 AM   #3
Aftermathhqt
A Molten Giant

I've been playing since 2005, i've always been playing PvE but the last years i've been taken raiding more serious, the best ranked guild i've been in is Flawless @ Karazhan EU in Wotlk we where ranked 198 in the world

Currently i'm in Postal @ Aszune EU its Scandinavian guild, its ranked in the world 281, atm. Hopefully we will go up abit in firelands. :3

And i think its like what you from the game also, if you want to earn somthing, and such.
06-21-11, 07:21 AM   #4
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
I tried to live the "hardcore" life ... but soon I found nice ppl become aggressive when put under pressure. I tried two years to have a successful AND fun raid just to find you are not allowed to be nice if you really want to be successful.

Late in wotlk I got a new job and so I had a reason to become a "casual" and I started to enjoy wow a lot more while playing "less" (I'm addicted which means less is still too much )

With the cata(strophe) I refused raiding because blizz totally failed (imho) when creating raid content and so I'm still a casual which does not mean I suck at wow like many think.

Imo casual means you stay away from the aggressive "youth" and spend your time slower ... Its hard to "use" wow as a roleplay game because most content is more a jump&run and chars are all alike now.

Additionally I wish there would be a switch in the dungeonfinder: Singleplayer or Multiplayer

Singleplayer would mean the current way of grouping which is designed for the aggressive type of hardcore players and Multiplayer for those of us who like to work as a group in a dungeon. So no vote-kick in multiplayer

In short: I'd prefer to stay away from the "hardcore" but atm its not really possible when you use the dungeonfinder.
06-21-11, 08:27 AM   #5
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I think for some addon authors, it can maybe be a bit different story ..

Myself I played a lot, but after I started to learn writing addons I became very casual
My main is still fidgeting at level 82
06-21-11, 11:50 PM   #6
Aftermathhqt
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Ketho View Post

Myself I played a lot, but after I started to learn writing addons I became very casual

Well, I'm raiding, and writing my AddOns on my free time or before my Raid else i'm playing APB (All Points Bulletin Like GTA online) pretty cool game, i like it, and i just love raiding i can't stay away from it

Anyways here are both my toons..

Ellbysaurus
Aftermathhyo

My shaman is in pvp gear

My priest has been my main, since forever but now i changed to my Shaman some months back..

Last edited by Aftermathhqt : 06-21-11 at 11:58 PM.
06-22-11, 07:34 AM   #7
Aprikot
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Ketho View Post

This for me too. I free-transferred to a low pop realm at Cata release as my friends had all left the game, and my (high pop) server K'T was effectively inaccessible for that first week.

I'm now in one of those huge masterless officerless guilds that exist for perks and such. I pretty much login in anonymity and autoattack wildlife while I mess with UI stuff, although ironically I've lately had need of party & raid groups to test certain elements. :P

I do hope to get back in the PvP saddle one of these days, though I kinda shudder to think about working at the skill cap again. PvP'ing on my Rogue during BC was probably the most fun I've had in the game (circa cloak of skill & lawlstep swords :P).

I was never hardcore, but as with a lot of folks I think, a few major real life changes have sharply curtailed the amount of time I'm able to devote to WoW (both gameplay & UI dev). :\
06-22-11, 04:16 PM   #8
tenub
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Personally I could give a rat's ass about anything other than the gameplay. For example, I don't think I've ever read a single word of a quest's flavor text, followed any story lines, or anything like that. I've always played to compete, be it PvE or PvP.

I was "casually" raiding in a 9/12H 25m raiding guild on my mage after my original guild fell apart shortly after Cataclysm release. To rebalance my competitive desires I turned to arena on my DK alt and played just under the gladiator mmr range. Unfortunately my healer stopped playing so I inevitably turned back to raiding on my mage and my competitive nature needed its fill again, so I joined the #42 ranked US guild and have been raiding with them since. I can't wait for Firelands to be released and I hope we can push to an even better rank in T12.
07-16-11, 07:59 PM   #9
Spectrezh
Priestess of the Moon

Premium Member
Originally Posted by tenub View Post
Personally I could give a rat's ass about anything other than the gameplay. For example, I don't think I've ever read a single word of a quest's flavor text, followed any story lines, or anything like that. I've always played to compete, be it PvE or PvP.
what he said!! though I play to have fun, not really compete lol. i sometimes follow the story line, others I only care about leveling, getting gear etc over reading what the quests says. I've been a casual player for 5 years, never went hardcore and don't really care much about them, it's their life.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » Casual or hardcore?