07-17-07, 09:04 AM   #1
Xanithon
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
GMs are Automated!

:O :O :O

(not me, just found this while surfing forums)

07-17-07, 09:07 AM   #2
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
On one hand you want to laugh, on the other you want to cry...

07-17-07, 09:31 AM   #3
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Not all of them are automated, but a lot of them are

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
07-17-07, 09:39 AM   #4
Harladar
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
One that I had an encounter with was a real person, they said they were falling alseep, and I told them i had a few mt. dews around, he could have one, but he said that he cant get up and drive here to get it, i found that funny, he helped me with my issues, then i talked with him for like 20 more mins, coolest GM i ever "met".
07-17-07, 09:54 AM   #5
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

The rare ones that actually talk and listen, I try to "report" them as a good GM. Too many of them are macro happy though.
Auto-responding to my spam or bot report is fine, but when I'm trying to get something resolved I want a human, not an answering machine.

07-17-07, 10:48 AM   #6
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The two times I had to report someone to a GM for harassment, they were a real person. When we finished talking about the harassment, I asked about some rumored items, like the ashbringer, and Sword of a thousand truths (it's not in game, sorry).

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
07-17-07, 03:07 PM   #7
endx7
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Dreadlorde
The two times I had to report someone to a GM for harassment, they were a real person. When we finished talking about the harassment, I asked about some rumored items, like the ashbringer, and Sword of a thousand truths (it's not in game, sorry).
During the TBC beta Sword of a Thousand Truths was one of the gladiator weapons. 8-)
07-18-07, 01:37 PM   #8
Aedaric
Premium Member
haha Now that's just too funny. Sorry to hear you have cancer btw. = P

However, not all are answering machines as many people here have posted before and for the most part I think they handle the petitions with some kind of sense determining who really needs help and who is just petitioning an idiot/spammer.
07-18-07, 03:01 PM   #9
Hellarion
A Black Drake

the sword of 1k truths is just the model for the frostmourne that arthas uses so we'll see it soon enough
07-18-07, 03:20 PM   #10
ultharwe
A Kobold Labourer

Originally Posted by Hellarion
the sword of 1k truths is just the model for the frostmourne that arthas uses so we'll see it soon enough
no, the model for the sword of 1k truths is NOT the model for frosmourne. It his however the model for the epic 1h sword that drops from Kel'Thuzad, Hungering Cold. get your facts straight before you go spewing off information that isn't correct

EDIT: looking a little farther into it "The reference to hungering and cold and similar appearance to Arthas' Frostmourne may suggest that this sword is one of the Runic Blades used by Ner'zhul's Death Knights."

direct quote from wowwiki.com under the speculation area, although its still not frostmourne itself.

Last edited by ultharwe : 07-18-07 at 03:29 PM.
07-23-07, 01:53 AM   #11
Kudane
Co-Founder

Having gone to Blizzcon 2005, and having met more Blizzard people who replied with "in game support" as their job title, and when asked who they were said "sorry I can not say" than I could count, I don't believe they are automated.

What I do think is they use some form of "quick response" system (maybe some form of cut and paste). If you think about it, how many time would you want to type "Hello xxxx, this is GM Soandso..". There are a few thing in every conversation I have had with a GM that seemed pretty standard. They say hello, clarify my problem, ask about anything else, and thank me when they leave. I do not for one blame them if they use cut and paste for "thank you for playing WOW".. it does not mean they don't mean it.. just that they don't want to type it 5000 time a day.

Looking at that that image if my theory is correct, it looks like the GM just got ahead of himself and replied too quickly, we can't see the rest of the conversation to see what else was said.

/my 2 cp

/bow
07-23-07, 07:21 AM   #12
mattygibbard
A Kobold Labourer
haha, I lol'd
07-31-07, 06:48 AM   #13
einherjan
Premium Member

Premium Member
I have always dealt with real people when it comes to GMs. They do however proc a macro when they enter the chat, and exit the chat. Besides this I never have seen them use a macro for me. Even if they did use more macros, it wouldn't bother me since they always have been polite and helpful to me.

So address your statement, they aren't automated but they try to cut corners:-p
07-31-07, 08:27 AM   #14
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by einherjan
I have always dealt with real people when it comes to GMs. They do however proc a macro when they enter the chat, and exit the chat. Besides this I never have seen them use a macro for me. Even if they did use more macros, it wouldn't bother me since they always have been polite and helpful to me.

So address your statement, they aren't automated but they try to cut corners:-p
True. The GM's obviously are human. Some are just macro-happy. Like Kudane said, they'd be nuts not to macro alot of their greetings (and I'm confident it's macro's since some GM's have their own "taglines" and funny quotes). I've had a few good ones who talk, but I've had a few bad ones that ONLY used macros. Like anything involving humans, you never know.

07-31-07, 11:22 AM   #15
einherjan
Premium Member

Premium Member
"Suddenly wall of smoke appears in front of you. Emerging from it is Einherjan. How may I help you today (insert name)."

07-31-07, 12:03 PM   #16
PathMaster
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by einherjan
"Suddenly wall of smoke appears in front of you. Emerging from it is Einherjan. How may I help you today (insert name)."

Heh, I love that one.

Generally, the GMS I have dealt with are human. I always send an email in when the GM sounds interested and helps me out. I especially take note if they try and make me laugh.
07-31-07, 06:06 PM   #17
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

I can't remember her name but one of the coolest GM's I dealt with had this whole "treant" theme going. "'Greetings <name>', says a large oak tree that suddenly looks your way". "Branches and leaves flutter about as the tree laughs heartily." etc.

More "human" GM's, less digitized ones.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » GMs are Automated!