07-11-07, 07:15 AM   #1
Tunga
A Murloc Raider
Viewport Problem

I have most of my UI elements (chat, bars, map, etc) at the top of the screen. The problem is that this effectively puts my character about half way up my actual viewing space whereas with the normal chat/bar layout it's virtually at the bottom. To fix this I'm trying to do one of two things:

1) Slide the whole of the WorldFrame down so that it goes off the bottom of the screen partially.
2) Crop the WorldFrame asymmetrically so that it actually takes part of the bottom of the frame away rather than just resizing it like the viewport mods I've tried do which always keeps the view centralised.

I have a feeling nether of these are possible though.

Any ideas or other suggestions?
07-11-07, 08:36 AM   #2
Sajomatic
Deuce Interfaces

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Honestly, I don't know if that's possible.

I'm not a code monkey but I've never heard of being able to do that.

Mah2cents.
07-11-07, 09:09 AM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Read this post I just wrote on wowace about what a viewport does: http://www.wowace.com/forums/index.p...9389#msg119389

Your character is *always* in the middle of the rendered area, and there's nothing you can do to change that. All you can do is cover up part of the rendered area (with an eePanel or something) but then there are parts of the game that you cannot see.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-11-07, 09:43 AM   #4
PathMaster
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

There was a viewport that shifted things. It was not a cover, like some viewports. That functionality may of been removed since that was a long while ago.
07-11-07, 10:01 AM   #5
jedybg
A Defias Bandit
used sum addon for viewports - Its called Skinner , im not sure will it do exactly the thing u want but u can still try it
07-11-07, 10:21 AM   #6
Tunga
A Murloc Raider
Read this post I just wrote on wowace about what a viewport does: http://www.wowace.com/forums/index....19389#msg119389

Your character is *always* in the middle of the rendered area, and there's nothing you can do to change that. All you can do is cover up part of the rendered area (with an eePanel or something) but then there are parts of the game that you cannot see.
I know what a viewport does, I even described it. What I don't get is why I can't move the WorldFrame partially off the screen.

There was a viewport that shifted things. It was not a cover, like some viewports. That functionality may of been removed since that was a long while ago.
When you say "shift", do you mean it would an edge inwards so that the WorldFrame was a different size? If so, that's easy to do with one line of script and exactly what Aperture does too. Or do you mean it would actually move a full size WorldFrame around (and therefore let you put it off the screen)?

Last edited by Tunga : 07-11-07 at 10:24 AM.
07-11-07, 10:37 AM   #7
PathMaster
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

It would shift it up usually, thus making the screen area smaller. Was NOT an overlay though. It would actually shift the entire game world up. So it was almost letterbox style.
07-11-07, 11:16 AM   #8
Tunga
A Murloc Raider
Yeah, that's exactly what a proper Viewport addon (like Aperture) or a simple "/script WorldFrame:SetPoint..." does. I guess what I'm trying to do is impossible.

Last edited by Tunga : 07-11-07 at 11:32 AM.
07-11-07, 12:13 PM   #9
PathMaster
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I guess I am misunderstanding what you want to do. If you put the viewport on the top part it would shift the entire world view down, thus making your character being in the middle of the screen between the viewport bottom edge and the bottom of the screen.
07-11-07, 04:43 PM   #10
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

I get what hes trying to do. . He wants to shift where center is so its technically lower on the screen then 'crop' some of the bottom. Viewports resize the overall image. Hes literally looking to shift it where he wants so center is say for example 100 pixels lower then standard, then chop sections off as needed. Almost like using the adjusements on your monitor to move where the image sits on the screen.

If that doesnt grab ya think like a program window. You hold the bar and move the image up and down as a whole on your screen. You are physically moving where the rendering is occuring in relation to your monitor as a whole. Now think of the Image as being mobile within the window. Your centerpoint for rendering can then be moved in a full window mode. Viewports they are still centered with the main focal point in the middle of the screen they just resize it.

In the end i dont believe you can do what your looking for (assuming my examples are in the ballpark of what your looking for).

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 07-11-07 at 04:50 PM.
07-11-07, 05:11 PM   #11
Tunga
A Murloc Raider
Exactly right. Perhaps this makes it clear. The black area is the client window, The red box is the WorldFrame (rendered area).

First diagram is normal WoW.
Second diagram is what a Viewport mod (like Aperture) does.
Third diagram is what I want to do.

07-11-07, 05:17 PM   #12
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Tunga
Exactly right. Perhaps this makes it clear. The black area is the client window, The red box is the WorldFrame (rendered area).

First diagram is normal WoW.
Second diagram is what a Viewport mod (like Aperture) does.
Third diagram is what I want to do.

go into you monitor options (on mine their buttons on the front), and change the V-Center.

p.s. Is this the same tunga from worldofwar.net?

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
07-11-07, 08:42 PM   #13
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by PathMaster
I guess I am misunderstanding what you want to do. If you put the viewport on the top part it would shift the entire world view down, thus making your character being in the middle of the screen between the viewport bottom edge and the bottom of the screen.
That's what I was thinking the OP wanted, too, Path. Since that's the only way to do it and it does work that way.... Oh well.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-11-07, 11:00 PM   #14
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Dreadlorde
go into you monitor options (on mine their buttons on the front), and change the V-Center.
The only issue with that is all he is doing is shifting his entire view down and gaining nothing for it. From what i can figure he is looking for the benefits of the viewport within the game window but with the actual image shifted downward as opposed to just merely resized.

Take the image he posted for example. the box as stated represents wow (for arguments sake lets say its in windowed mode) now imagine the blank spot at the top as a viewport but instead of the standard resizing of the image as a viewport you instead shift the full image down on the screen as in the example. So your window remains in the same position
But the image within it is recentered lower. Something akin to pulling a photograph partially out of its frame.

From what i understand of the game mechanics in that respect i dont think its possible.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
07-12-07, 03:24 AM   #15
Tunga
A Murloc Raider
Yeah you have it right, I want to put chat/bars/minimap/etc above it in the white space (on my diagram) freed up at the top. Reason for wanting the third diagram and not rhe second is that if you look how much gap there is below your character in the WorldFrame which just shows close up ground, don't really need to see all of that (and hence Blizzard even cover some of it up in the default UI layout.

Anyway, I guess we've established it's impossible so I'll stick with the Viewport solution, it's perfectly playable. Just thought I'd check if this is possible since it would have been the prefered option .

Thanks to everyone who replied .

And yes, same Tunga who mods the UI forum on Worldofwar. Their UI forums have been down for a bit now so thought I'd come ask here plus this was a bit technical and you get more coders reading here I'd guess.

Last edited by Tunga : 07-12-07 at 03:27 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Viewport Problem