09-02-16, 02:03 AM   #1
7strm
A Murloc Raider
HD default textures

Does anybody know of any higher resolution versions of the default UI textures?
09-02-16, 04:59 AM   #2
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you're referring to official hi-res versions, like some other games have released as optional texture packs, there aren't any for WoW. What you see in the game is what you get, and you can only raise or lower the quality in the game settings. The highest quality available is all there is.

For things that are assets from vanilla WoW and some of Burning Crusade, those are a lower res, smaller scale, and it really shows, while the more recent expansions have gotten higher res as the years have gone on.

The priority for Blizzard has always been to allow computers in the widest possible range to play World of Warcraft and they've only upgraded their graphics when absolutely necessary, or when enough time has passed that will enable most computers to run the game with those higher assets.

There are UI texture replacement packs you can download as mods, but those typically have their own look, which is different from the default UI. MiirGui Texture Pack [Grey] is a texture pack that aims to replace all of the default UI textures with a more minimal style, while Aurora and its companion Missing Textures packs have a more modern appearance.

Packs like the above are the closest you're going to get to replacing the entire WoW UI with cleaner textures, but they do look very different from the default.

As much as I would like Blizzard to update their default UI, as some of it is unattractive to my view, they've shown zero interest in doing this in the twelve year span of the game's life, and in fact keep adding new assets in the same style.
09-02-16, 02:42 PM   #3
7strm
A Murloc Raider
No, I wouldn't have expected Blizzard to come out with official ones either.

But I guess I was secretly hoping that maybe somewhere where I hadn't looked some talented individual has put in the work to re-create at least the basic ones at a better resolution.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Graphics Help » HD default textures