07-18-07, 06:54 PM   #1
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Cooldown timers

Im currently using Cooldown Timers and have a slight problem.

Ive already posted it for the developer but i thought id ask here if anyone has a similar problem and a possible solution.

Basically i Shoot my wand and all the spells i have set to be tracked are triggering their timers like a global cooldown. On top of that the visual warning fires off about every other shot for spells not even being timed.

Only happens on my main which is a 70 priest. 3 other priests (im a glutton for punishment) one of which is on the same server dont have this problem. I dont get any errors during this. Ive also tried reinstalling the addon as well as copying over saved variables from the other priests but nothing has changed.

Stumped doesnt being to cover it. Any ideas?

Its not game breaking but its certainly rather annoying

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
07-19-07, 01:00 AM   #2
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

After some liberal experimentation i found a rather odd factor. the issue im having seems to depend on the wand im using. The problem only seems to crop up when im using wands ive gotten form outlands. I have 2 i keep, one for dps, one for healing bonus. Both are from outlands quests.

On a whim i went to the Ah and picked up a lesser magic wand. to my suprise the issue disappeared. Soon sa i switched back it returned. So i went and backed up and removed y WTF and addons folders. got a fresh copy of the mod and tried again with the exact same results.

For the life of me i cant imagine why the wand would be causing it. Im guessing that it has something to do with the coding but i couldnt find any reference to specific items in the code. Any ideas?

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
07-19-07, 08:22 AM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
A wand does set off the GCD, though I'm not sure why CooldownTimers would be picking up the GCD...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-19-07, 10:15 AM   #4
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

That was my curiosity as well. And as that why only *certain* ones. CDT has a section to track the 'firing' time of wands which ive always disabled. I have the complimentry mod from the same author, Sorren's timers which generally handles the GCD.
Though when im using the 'offending' wands they dont trigger the GCD there. Just in the cooldown section forcing all tracked spells to fire as if they were the GCD.

Its very odd to say the least. Ill keep pouring through the code to see if i can spot anything.Ill start by looking at the code for the 'wand' part if there is something that obvious. I honestly know as much about lua as i do about astrophysics (aka nothing) but im pretty good at learning on the fly.

Is it possible that something on the blizzard side is causing this?

Ill keep any interested parties posted. In the mean time if anyone thinks of a reason this might be happening let me know. =)

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 07-19-07 at 10:19 AM.
07-19-07, 10:39 AM   #5
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

I'm wondering if it's the GCD that wands are triggering.
Wands have different speeds, right? Can you use a spell faster after using a fast wand than after using a slow one? Is the wand's casting speed restrained by some kind of CD that applies to your other spells too? Then, if the wand is slower than 1.5sec, maybe that this can change the interpretation of that?

I have no idea if what I'm saying makes sense, I've never read anything about wands and GCD, and I've never tested it either, so I'm just throwing guesses based on your experience and not of my idea of the game's mechanisms ^^
07-19-07, 11:00 AM   #6
Geboran
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
Actually, I have noticed wands triggering the global cooldown, but only for like 1 second, tops.
Stormreaver (US), Alliance
07-19-07, 11:08 AM   #7
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Geboran
Actually, I have noticed wands triggering the global cooldown, but only for like 1 second, tops.
Which is the "physical" GCD (not sure if "physical" is exact... maybe it's "non spell", maybe it depends on the class,...), so shooting is a special physical action?
07-19-07, 11:34 AM   #8
Geboran
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
That would be my guess.

I know that it takes about a second to "cancel" shooting when casting a different spell. Painfully I have found that out at times with my mage and priest. LOL.

You do have a physical animation when you "shoot" your wand, so it makes sense.
Stormreaver (US), Alliance
07-19-07, 11:50 AM   #9
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Wands do trigger the GCD, and the GCD is always 1 second.

I have limited experience with mages and priests but like Geb said, it takes a second to cancel. Wands don't quite operate like Auto-attack; they are definitely a special case.

Strange behavior though. Maybe wowwiki.com has something... I'll see what i can find.

07-19-07, 01:56 PM   #10
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Its not so much that it triggers the GCD. Its that on the visual display of the timer mod its showing all the tracked spells cooling down and only for the wand. No other spell/effect seems to cause this. Im more having an issue with the visual display than the game mechanics.

I was pointed to a solution that seems to work for now. I set the minimum time required for tracking of a cooldown to be more then my wand which has worked for the moment. though the Pre-BC wand i had tried it on was actually faster then my BC ones based on the speed rating (1.5 for pre bc, 1.8 for BC) so im still of the feeling that there is something amiss but for the life of me cant figure what is causing it.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Cooldown timers