Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
12-12-07, 06:30 PM   #11
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Rigorous
i believe the issues are two sides of the same coin.

there seems to me to be an onus being placed on both WoWI and the authors to be responsible for nearly every aspect of every users' interface add-on "experience" once they begin to use add-ons and i think that's an unreasonable expectation.
Or perhaps, simply, to have their addons work? In the Fubar example in this thread, when combined with LocationFu, all kinds of weird things happen (as discovered and pointed out by Erica). I don't need an author to be responsible for anything other than their best attempt at a bug-free addon. Period.

Originally Posted by Rigorous
at the end of the day, imo, it's up to the user take responsibility for themself, use the resources that are obviously available and learn. the authors and the websites shouldn't be held to the lowest common denominator as a baseline.
Precisely. I agree. A tag line such as the one being discussed here does not lower anyone or anything to the lowest common denominator. Fact is, I fail to see where any idea of a hierarchy addresses anything here. Why is it the "lowest"? Being uninformed and unable (or unwilling) to search through all that is Fubar (for example) is certainly not being a lower class being. It shouldn't come to this, nor should it be viewed in this manner. I'll give you an example of how this type of tag would benefit a veteran user who knows how to sift through the halls of WAU, etc. to find updates (once again, if updates always fixed things, I probably wouldn't have ever started this thread - but anyway)...

Let's say I've got nothing to do, realms are down for maintenance and I have free time from work. What does a WOW player frequently do? 1) Browse their guild forums, 2) Browse the official forums, 3) Check sites such as this for new releases, and overall interesting stuff (these forums for instance). Let's say that during the course of skimming over wow sites, I stumble upon an addon Ive never heard of before. It offers a function or feature I'd be interested in trying or at least experimenting with (I'm very stubborn when it comes to getting dependent on more addons). Anyway, on other sites, I am told up front the mod is not current and "may or may not work" with the current game version. On this site, that information isn't present. It can be argued that absent of this disclaimer, the mod looks "current", or at least as something that will run if outdated addons are checked. I download the mod, install the mod, all looks fine. I launch my game, log in to wow, and BAM..something's broken. The mod "might have" been one to break my entire interface, etc. This is a problem. To me, the addon looked current, or at least functional. Angry, I delete the addon, and check to see if my existing interface is still "fine". Understanding I dont need my hands held, I sit there wishing there was a bit more notice that something was OLD and really broken (with current game).

I apologize for the length of this, but you understand my point. I'd like to point out one other minor issue with the tone used in some of this thread...because one is a veteran at something, and is armed with knowledge and information about something, it does not place them in higher esteem than one without. Case in point - I own a small IT business, we do all kinds of work, mostly with small businesses, and people who have home offices. In any event, we frequently perform simple tasks (security consulting, network maintenance, etc.) for an interesting range of clients. We have lots of legal/medical clients we are responsible for keeping up and running (from hardware, to whatever). When I hear my technicians talking about people being "below them" or "stupid" because they barely know how to log in to their email, I quickly remind these types of technicians that the people they are talking about know how to save lives, do brain surgery, protect people's futures, etc. The point being, because someone hasn't a clue how to install a driver, it does not make them "the lowest common denominator". Does anyone here know how to perform brain surgery? You get my point.

I still don't see a downside to a simple tag line. It can save users grief, whether rookies or veterans. I would benefit from it and I've been at this game since the beginning. Being a "noob" does not mean being lower. Let's continue this discussion in proper light. None of us are above/below anyone else. Actually, I'd like to commend the contributors here for not picking up the "you're a noob" syndrome that infects so many of the kids that plays this game.

Anyway, I also thought I should point out this thread started because I'm disgusted at the "overall condition" of Titan/Fubar, not really that this site fails to meet any expectations or requirements (in fact I've pointed out the opposite). It was not my intention to rework or change the process this site provides. Since it was brought up though, I'm simply agreeing the tag line might be helpful. That's all.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Panel Mod Disgust