02-07-11, 02:40 PM   #1
aiikachi
A Cyclonian

Question on changing settings in mods with lua

I am wondering if it is at all possible to write my own lua file (with IsAddonLoaded perhaps?) that will change certain settings in certain other addons (remove fontshadow, change frame size, ect) so that I do not have to manually edit the lua of these addons everytime I update them. I thought I had seen that this was possible elsewhere before, but I would like confirmation/examples if it is thanks!
02-07-11, 04:07 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Only if what you want to change is globally accessible.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-07-11, 05:18 PM   #3
aiikachi
A Cyclonian

So if I understand: if it's a font string created by the individual addon--that wouldn't be possible?
02-07-11, 06:49 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Does it have a global name or variable, or is it only assigned a local variable? Does the fontstring's parent have a global name or variable so that you can use GetChildren (or maybe even GetRegions) to find it?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-07-11, 07:03 PM   #5
aiikachi
A Cyclonian

Look's like everything I was concerned about are locals, so back to editing the individual lines it is. Thanks for the replies Seerah! <3
02-09-11, 03:04 PM   #6
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You might want to take a look at EnumerateFrames() if you really want to go that direction.

EnumerateFrames() gets the first frame from a list, notice no frame has been passed. If EnumerateFrames(frame) is called, it returns the frame following the one passed in the list. If there are no more frames, it returns nil.

The following code would iterate through every frame in existence.
Code:
local frame=EnumerateFrames();
while frame do
--	Do something that checks if this is the frame you want and store the pointer to it

frame=EnumerateFrames(frame);
end

Last edited by SDPhantom : 02-09-11 at 03:10 PM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Question on changing settings in mods with lua