11-05-10, 04:34 PM   #1
Haavok
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Exclamation Cataclysm Database Update

With the expansion rapidly approaching I thought I would give a brief update as to what’s happening with the quest database and where things stand with the upcoming expansion.

Firstly, we’re adding a couple of new fields to the database – quest category & quest min level:

• Quest Category – These categories include all the world events, class and profession specific quests. Any quests that you can’t pick up will be filtered from the quest list, quest givers, etc.

• Quest Minimum Level – Adding minimum level requirement to pick up a quest. We can use this when displaying quest givers to indicate quests you are too low level to pick up. I’m not sure what we’re going to do with this yet; either not display these quests or tint the parchment thingy red.

We hope to get this implemented in the next version before the expansion hits.

With regard to Cataclysm, we will probably start by using the in-game quest locations. This will be rapidly replaced with captured data submitted by Carbonite users. The code for generating quest areas is being completely reworked and will allow us to highlight the most popular areas where objectives are completed as well as filtering out stale & erroneous data. We’ve always tried to provide the ‘cleanest’ objective areas and this will take it to a whole new level.

In addition, sometime after the expansion we will be adding reputation categories to the quests so that you will be able to list all quests that give xyz reputation.

Cheers,

Last edited by Haavok : 11-05-10 at 05:50 PM.

11-05-10, 05:03 PM   #2
Haavok

As always, you can contribute to the Carbonite database by submitting your LUA saved variables. Details here.

Thanks,

11-06-10, 02:36 AM   #3
Cherio
A Fallenroot Satyr
What about current beta maps and quests , am willing to help on quests saved data by recording quests progress , am already restarting questing on beta from 80-85 . However carbonite isnt working on beta at all.

Will you release a beta seperate version of Carbonite?

11-10-10, 01:44 AM   #4
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Possibly, but time is short and the map is currently undergoing major data changes before it will work with the 4.0.3 zone changes.

Haavok and I have spent 6 total hours on the phone the last two days discussing how we will handle all the changed and new zones. There are about 30 new zones/instances and tons of location changes for pretty much everything that Carbonite keeps track of in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms. This is a lot of work, so doing a new database release before 4.0.3 has been canceled, since most of those locations will be wrong for 4.0.3 anyway.

11-14-10, 10:04 AM   #5
S@thi
A Theradrim Guardian

Is the way how you gonna gain input from players gonna change?
Seeing as i'm active on the beta atm without a working carbonite is there anything we could do?

11-15-10, 08:25 AM   #6
Haavok

All going well I think we're going to have a Cataclysm beta this week.

11-17-10, 03:07 PM   #7
Cherio
A Fallenroot Satyr
great news, as am getting sick of game map interface and want to start recording quest progress

11-19-10, 06:08 PM   #8
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

We've been making steady progress this week. The map is coming together. Did a bunch of work on The Maelstrom continent yesterday and today. Working on Gilneas and Gilneas City zones now. Vashj'ir needs minimap graphics set and aligned. Some areas of minimap for Eastern Kingdom needs fixing. Hotspots for many zones need to be added or changed. New battlegrounds need to be added.

Haavok has all Flight Masters done and is doing lots of database work for quests and POI locations. I've given him 3 beta versions so far, but they are still too buggy for a public beta release. The next beta I give him will probably be good enough for public release.

11-20-10, 12:34 AM   #9
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
Working on Gilneas and Gilneas City zones now. Vashj'ir needs minimap graphics set and aligned. Some areas of minimap for Eastern Kingdom needs fixing.
These are done and Haavok has a new beta for his use. Might release it tomorrow.

11-20-10, 01:55 PM   #10
1289dude
A Defias Bandit
Hope it gets released. Awesome Addon you guys. If I had beta, I'd help out as much as I could.

11-20-10, 08:33 PM   #11
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Beta release info here:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=36904

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Cataclysm Database Update