10-24-15, 03:44 PM   #1
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Synching Two Computers

Has anyone used something like Dropbox to sync between to computers? I realize This keeps your Interface and WTF files in the cloud, but I was tying to figure out how to keep two local copies. Some of my addons make changes I want to sync (like TradeSkillMaster).

Suggestions welcome.
10-24-15, 10:14 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

I have used Dropbox in the past, and currently use SpiderOak (similar but with a focus on security/privacy) to sync (among other things) my WoW addons and WTF folders. It works quite well. You can even run WoW at the same time on both computers, since you can only be logged into an account in one location, and addon settings are all stored per-account so there's no danger of overwriting anything.

The only caveats are:

- The Curse Client will get confused. Pick one computer for updating addons, and don't even try on the other computer(s). Usually it will just download it a second time on the second computer, but occasionally it will also get confused on the first computer and try to download the update there again too.

- If you have any SVN or Git checkouts, exclude .svn and .git folders from your backup/sync app. The large number of small, frequently-changing files used in version control systems will usually backup/sync okay, but occasionally they will bring down the apocalypse on your cloud storage. Just remember to checkout (for SVN) or stash save/pull/stash pop (for Git, stashing because unlike SVN it's too stupid to detect that the changes being pulled from the remote repo already exist in the local files and will mark All The Things as one big conflict) when you work on the other computer.
10-25-15, 07:30 AM   #3
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Thanks. I wondered about using Minon or Curse Client. This seems to be very effective way to share addons.

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
I have used Dropbox in the past, and currently use SpiderOak (similar but with a focus on security/privacy) to sync (among other things) my WoW addons and WTF folders. It works quite well. You can even run WoW at the same time on both computers, since you can only be logged into an account in one location, and addon settings are all stored per-account so there's no danger of overwriting anything.

The only caveats are:

- The Curse Client will get confused. Pick one computer for updating addons, and don't even try on the other computer(s). Usually it will just download it a second time on the second computer, but occasionally it will also get confused on the first computer and try to download the update there again too.

- If you have any SVN or Git checkouts, exclude .svn and .git folders from your backup/sync app. The large number of small, frequently-changing files used in version control systems will usually backup/sync okay, but occasionally they will bring down the apocalypse on your cloud storage. Just remember to checkout (for SVN) or stash save/pull/stash pop (for Git, stashing because unlike SVN it's too stupid to detect that the changes being pulled from the remote repo already exist in the local files and will mark All The Things as one big conflict) when you work on the other computer.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » Synching Two Computers