08-14-10, 08:50 AM   #1
Vlad
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Extract "wow-update-12759.mpq"... meh!

Trying to extract the DBC and LUA/XML files but getting weird patch-like content in the files. How does the new patch system work?

08-14-10, 09:27 PM   #2
Saiket
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I've been trying to figure this out with no luck too. Apparently Tekkub found a way to extract build 12694, which uses the same patch format. I couldn't find any mention of what tools he used though. The actual patch files look like bsdiff binary diffs with a proprietary blizzard header prepended to them. I had trouble applying any of the patches though, even with the extra header trimmed out.
____
Edit: On second look at what Tekkub committed, he didn't extract patch 12694 properly. He has the changes between builds 12644 (pre-streaming client) and 12635 (base streaming client); None of the changes from wow-update-12694.mpq are included though.

Last edited by Saiket : 08-14-10 at 09:36 PM.

08-15-10, 10:22 AM   #3
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Yeah, I noticed that too. I've been opening update exes before (they are mpq too) and this file structure seems familiar, it's only hard to find out how we can now extract the up-to-date FrameXML folder when it appears that each new build will have it's own "patch" MPQ containing diff files and not the whole patched file, hmm...

Perhaps someone at Wowhead may help? They do extract DBC, BLP icons and similar and they are also subjected to the same difference patching system.

08-15-10, 11:05 AM   #4
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

I just used MPQ extractor.

You can find it on www.devklog.net

The last time I tried it was a few weeks ago and got a folder worth of files extracted.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for or if even if it extracts it right.

Wait.... I might of tried this on a previous build. I'll try to remember to repeat it when I get home.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

08-15-10, 11:08 AM   #5
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Try it yourself Bluespacecow, use the MPQEditor, open "wow-update-12759.MPQ" and extract the "Interface/FrameXML" folder. Open up the files inside and be surprised.

08-15-10, 12:21 PM   #6
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
Try it yourself Bluspacecow, use the MPQEditor, open "wow-update-12759.MPQ" and extract the "Interface/FrameXML" folder. Open up the files inside and be surprised.
Using OS X so can't use MPQEditor.

I note that at

http://www.zezula.net/en/mpq/download.html

Is a beta version for extracting wow-update-12694.MPQ

Is the problem extracting the files the problem ? Or the format they are in once extracted.

Try the Beta Version at that site above and extract with that if you haven't already. Zezula lists that MPQ (wow-update-12694.MPQ) as a partial MPQ file so wow-update-12759.mpq may be as well
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Cataclysm Beta » Extract "wow-update-12759.mpq"... meh!