09-24-07, 09:00 PM   #1
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Which guild?

I didn't realize that you could post stuff like this here, but after seeing Xanithon's thread.. how do you know which guild to join? I found a site that ranks guilds in the US and world by the number of bosses they've killed/looted; but how do you tell what kind of guild it is? I was playing the other day and was asked by some guy if I wanted to join his guild; but I declined because I wanted to research it a bit first. Except there doesn't seem to be a whole heckuva lot to research..

Another thing.. on the game box it says "8.x million online".. heh Maybe 10 years ago when WoW was new. I hardly ever see anyone else - it's like I'm playing a solo game except online where the critters are designed to be attacked by a party. I'm on the Argent Dawn server - I picked it because I didn't want to be bothered by PK'ers. Should I switch servers? Is there a server to switch to where a lot of people still play?

I'm really happy with my UI - 3 cheers for Mazzle. I don't have too much trouble doing quests solo as a hunter and I'm leveling fairly quickly. I like my own company, but jeez.. I want to learn how to play my class in a team setting. I'd also like to meet new friends and go kick some mob azz with them. Isn't that what an MMORPG's supposed to be like?
09-24-07, 09:13 PM   #2
Nynaeve
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I don't think i would ever join a guild unless I knew and liked members from it already.
Guilds aren't all about downing some world boss or some boss in TK.
Many of the guilds that are solely for raiding don't even let low-level players join.
Also, in the cases of my servers, guilds who are there solely to raid do not seem to last very long.
It is really hard to "research" a guild, because the WOW site doesn't host guild sites, etc, but you can ask around about people, meet the members for yourself, go on practice runs with members, go to their website, or check the WOW forums for your server to find out more about a guild.
I think there probably are like.... 6 million people playing, once you get past all the people with two accounts and that one guy who plays 5 chars on different accounts all at once. o . 0

You could ask around about servers, check the WOWCensus, make alts on your friend's servers to find a server that is right for you if you do not like your current one.
Keep in mind, it could be that your faction is underpopulated. On all my realms, the activity ratio is 1 alliance: 3 horde, so it seems like there is no one around when I am on my alliance characters.

Have you used the LFG tool to look for groups for instances zones or quests?
You could also ask for groups in general chat. It is pretty easy to make freinds in WOW, but
you really have to put forth the effort to find groups, especially in low-pop realms; however, as soon as you do well in a group and are nice to the members, you are likely to have a permanent grouping partner or two.

Hope that helps.
09-24-07, 09:25 PM   #3
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Thanks Nynaeve. How do I check the WOWCensus or use the LFG tool? For that matter, what is the LFG tool? lol
[edit]Nvm. Google is your friend. [/edit]

Last edited by Erurainon : 09-24-07 at 09:29 PM.
09-24-07, 09:37 PM   #4
Nynaeve
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Erurainon
Thanks Nynaeve. How do I check the WOWCensus or use the LFG tool? For that matter, what is the LFG tool? lol
LFG tool is the Looking for Group Interface.
I think the regular binding is "I" but if you have assigned I to something else or need an easier way to remember it, type /lfg or /lfm (if you are in a group) \
You can choose Dungeons your level or zones your level or group quests you are on, and see who else is looking for a group for those (in the looking for more tab.)
It can make it easier to find groups. Also, when you join the looking for group or looking for more tool, it puts you in a "LookingForGroup" chat channel that lets you broadcast that you are looking for a group or looking for more. This way, you can see who is looking for more, and for what, or who is looking for a group, and for what.

About the Census, you can see on the realm status page which is "low" "medium" and "high" populations, if you just want a general sense.
I'm pretty sure you used to be able to see the general overview of about how many characters (not necessarily active) are on a realm via the WOW site, but I can't remember where right now, I'll go look.
There is a website called like... warcraftrealms(?) that has specifics that are gathered by players by the use of mods. It shows characters (i guess pulled off the armory) and activity maps.

Edit: darn you for checking google while I was typing and distracted by eating more noddles !!!
09-24-07, 11:25 PM   #5
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Nynaeve
Edit: darn you for checking google while I was typing and distracted by eating more noddles !!!
lol /hug Nynaeve Thanks, you're the best.
09-25-07, 01:01 AM   #6
Dejoblue
A Kobold Labourer
I STRONGLY suggest joining a High or Full level server if you are wanting a lot of player interaction, and if you are an experienced player. They ahve more people, obviously, and usually more low level players to play with. They also have developed economies and are well established if not launch servers and have had things settle down as far as guild formations and mergers. So you are more likely to join a stable reliable guild instead of a fly by night new server guild that logs off to go back to their main server and characters guild.

As far as REASONS to join a guild, well its a bit like the talks with children about drugs alcohol and sex, you tell them your experience, what to do and what NOT to do, and they do what they want anyways and ahve to learn for themselves, even though everything you told them was absolutely correct. They will eventually realize this and come around.

join a guild you ahve at least 1 friend in.
You wont be doing server or world firsts anytime soon, SO dont join a guild for the LOOT or the prestige of killing boss X in instance Y. it is MUCH more fun to run kara and just be starting gruul and mag than to be in a TK or BT guild and not know anyone and follow orders from people you dont know.

Now if you hapen to get into a guild with friends in TK and BT, then awesome man. if not dont worry, you can have a blast in kara and still be proud of your character.

Remember that this game will have expansins which level the playing field or at least give the non "uber" characters a chance to catch up and develop their characters more.

There is ALWAYS something you could do to improve your characer. Factions, weapon skills etc. it gets boring to get near the end and have no motivation to play, when you are in Naxx or BT and the end is in sight. You can roll alts too.

But if you are with friends, no matter where you are in development of your character, it is MUCH more rewarding to say "me and my bro got this far" instead of "I was a member of a guild with people whos names i do not know and "together" we got really really far"...

Anywyas im done ramblin, but take it from someone whos been there and done that many times, if your with yer bros, you wont care how far into TK you are, you know youll get there, and youll do it together and share something special for the rest of your lives...../violins LOL
09-25-07, 08:12 AM   #7
malcite
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I have been in alot of guilds over the years. My first guild was an all norwegian guild (so yes im norwegian ) and there where alot of nice people there and we did want to try and make something of our guild, but that never happened. Over the next few months i left them because i felt a bit like an outsider (and partly because my cousin who got me in there also decided to quit the game)

From there on i joined various guilds, some high profile, others where "friendly" guilds.
Now, the odd thing is that i only encountered 2 types of guild until i started TBC. That was the hardcore guilds where i tried to become friends with people, but i never felt like one of the guys and then there where the friendly guilds composed of people whom all where either outsiders themselves or newbies begging for help all the time. Both have their flaws.

Luckily after tbc (had a 4 month break prior to it and i left a high profile guild before the break) i apparently had made some friends cause i got into a rising guild. It wasn't the best but it wasn't that bad either. We got as far as maulgar and the guild itself where made up mostly of the outsiders i knew before tbc along with some new faces whom happened to be from high profile guilds but wanted to shape a path in wow with their own guild. Sadly this guild didn't last though. As with all my guilds, its the classic case of the missing GM. If the first GM leaves, half the guild follows and the other half follows the first half and the guild is no more.
But seems that lady luck likes me though. i got into a guild only a day after my old guild left (they actually merged the guild cross-server with another guild for more endgame stuff) i got into the most up and coming guild on the server (well alliance side anyways) and i got a bunch of new friends and we all enjoy the endgame experience. (the odd thing is that my old guild didn't fit with the new guild they merged with on the other server so they where pretty much back to square 1 again)

Anyway, what im trying to say is that it takes time to find a guild you are happy with. Personally i wasn't really happy with any guild until tbc. There was always some flaws in them that made me want to leave every time. But it was for the best. through all those errors i learned what i wished for in a guild and there is a guild for everything. Be nice and you are halfway into most of them, do your best and you are into the rest
09-25-07, 09:01 PM   #8
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I think some people have misunderstood my post. I wasn't asking which guild was the most uber to join because they had killed the most bosses. I said I had looked into it and that was all the rankings I found - the guilds were ranked by how uber they were because they had killed the most bosses. What I am looking for is a place to make friends in-game and have fun raiding or doing instances at my level. The problem is I don't know anyone in-game. Heck, I know some people on these forums a lot better than I know anyone in-game. This is because I hardly see anyone in-game. I listed the server I'm on (Argent Dawn) in the hopes that someone here could point me in the right direction. The population for this server is medium. If I should, in fact, move to a more highly populated server; can I move my now level 30 hunter onto it? Or do I have to start over with a new character?
09-25-07, 09:08 PM   #9
Nynaeve
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Erurainon
I think some people have misunderstood my post. I wasn't asking which guild was the most uber to join because they had killed the most bosses. I said I had looked into it and that was all the rankings I found - the guilds were ranked by how uber they were because they had killed the most bosses. What I am looking for is a place to make friends in-game and have fun raiding or doing instances at my level. The problem is I don't know anyone in-game. Heck, I know some people on these forums a lot better than I know anyone in-game. This is because I hardly see anyone in-game. I listed the server I'm on (Argent Dawn) in the hopes that someone here could point me in the right direction. The population for this server is medium. If I should, in fact, move to a more highly populated server; can I move my now level 30 hunter onto it? Or do I have to start over with a new character?
What type of server is Argent Dawn? I can't remember right off, is it PVP, PVE, RP, RPPVP, etc?
I ask because if AD is a PVP server, you can transfer him anywhere you want (with the exception of fairly new realms that have not yet been opened to transfers.) If it is a PVE or RP realm, you can transfer to any realm but a PVP realm.
09-25-07, 09:20 PM   #10
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Nynaeve
If it is a PVE or RP realm, you can transfer to any realm but a PVP realm.
It's Nynaeve to the rescue again! Yay! It's an RP realm. I chose it due to that fact because I'm very experienced at RP and also because I didn't want to be bothered by PK'ers, since I normally do not set up my characters for PVP. I also chose it for the medium population thinking that RP would be more prevalent on it than a high population server; however after playing the game for a while I don't see how you could possibly RP a character to the extent of RP that I am used to. I think I will look for a highly populated PVE realm to switch to. Any suggestions?

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Which guild?